Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL speed upgrade

• 20-04-2005 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Just got off the phone with a rep from NTL here in Lucan. He was asking were we interested in their BB package. I said I wasa but that I was waiting to see what they were doing about the speeds first before making a decision.

At this stage he tells me that within 5 weeks NTL would be upping their packages to 1, 2 and 3 Mb/s. I asked about upload speeds and he said he wasn't sure but he believed they were going to 256, 512 and 512 kb/s. also he said that we could take the current 1.5 Mb/s for the first 3 months (free) and then choose any of the packages.

And they could install next Wednesday

Needless to say I took them up on it, although I'll have to wait till 7th May for a weekend install.

Now all I have to hope is that neither of us just imagined it all :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

MarVeL wrote:
    At this stage he tells me that within 5 weeks NTL would be upping their packages to 1, 2 and 3 Mb/s. I asked about upload speeds and he said he wasn't sure but he believed they were going to 256, 512 and 512 kb/s.
    If they have the vision to do that I will sing their praises from on high.
    It'll really kick DSL ass and eircom will lose ever more line rental as we VoIPers cancel our phone lines :D

Go on ntl - you know you want to - you know we want you to :)

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

MarVeL wrote:
    I asked about upload speeds and he said he wasn't sure but he believed they were going to 256, 512 and 512 kb/s.
    Mein Gott! I hope that's right. 2M down and 0.5M up for €35/month woukld be one helluva deal.

In the UK they are offering 100k, 200k and 300k with their 1M, 2M and 3M packages so I wouldn't really be too surprised if they do the same here. I hope not though.

The other think to look out for is the cap on the 1M package - it a measly 3GB/month in the UK, which to me means it's not an option. For €25/month I'd be happy with a 1M download speed but a cap of just 3GB per month means it's not really an option. I suppose that's they cunning plan!

So fingers crosser - and, NTL, if you're listening, 1M/2B/3M options with 256k/512k/512k upload would make you indubitably the best broadband option around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Oh thank god they're finally going to upgrade the speed's and since NTL sold NTL Ireland already maybe the caps will be different too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

We're not an NTL customer (for bb anyway...yet), but we got a call this evening to let us know that they'd upgraded our area, and could offer us 1, 2, or 3Mbit connection at €25/35/45. Needless to say we're very interested (our contract runs out with UTV shortly) - my mother didn't ask how long the contract is with them, though - does anyone know how long you're tied to ntl if you sign up? Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

12 Months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

@Infini

Sorry OT.But when the 12 months is up,do they send you out a form to sign asking do I/you want to sign up again for another 12 or does it just run into the next one without anything being said/signed?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

No. All it means is you must agree to subscribe for at least 12 months, after that you can cancel whenever you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

mad m wrote:
    But when the 12 months is up,do they send you out a form to sign asking do I/you want to sign up again for another 12 or does it just run into the next one without anything being said/signed?...
    There is no second 12 month contract. The first 12 months is to cover their investment - like the free modem and connection or whatever. After that you can leave whenever you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Yeah after 12months it should be a rolling contract. Meaning you can quit whenever.

This sounds good. But no NTL in my area :(
    I'd be likely to jump ship as soon as it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Cheers for that info lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

oh man! I knew I should have moved to Lucan instead of this god damn 16th century stuck technology lame clondalkin :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LookingFor wrote:
    We're not an NTL customer (for bb anyway...yet), but we got a call this evening to let us know that they'd upgraded our area, and could offer us 1, 2, or 3Mbit connection at €25/35/45. Needless to say we're very interested (our contract runs out with UTV shortly) - my mother didn't ask how long the contract is with them, though - does anyone know how long you're tied to ntl if you sign up? Thanks..

12 months, but trust me you won't want to leave after that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Methinks that CS rep was talking through his arse! :p
    I'd be very very VERY surprised if "NTL" increased the speeds - more likely nothing is to happen until after they sort out the sale.

They may keep the "NTL" brand for awhile since the sale is to Morgan Stanley, who are going to 'warehouse' them for later sale to UGC - both sales subject to Competition Authority approval.

If they do then it will be "NTL" who increase their speeds :p;)
    Note, ntl have already announced 1/2/3 Mbps packages for Galway

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

why isn't ntl doing works to increase their availability?

Have a peek at this thread

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

I'd be very very VERY surprised if "NTL" increased the speeds - more likely nothing is to happen until after they sort out the sale.
    i hope your heart is in decent shape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 CaptainSparrow

Me thinks you don't know to much! :p

Advertisement