Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implementation of web page using Google API

Options
  • 20-04-2005 8:02pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

Howaye.

Have a project to do for college involving invoking google web services API and I have no clue how to get started.
    I've been trailing through all sorts of pages but none of it is at a level stupid enough for me to understand and/or get started.

Has anyone got their own implementation of such using the googleAPI SDK?

If you could point me to your site or give me a sample asmx/aspx/etc page that works using the google Search or Google Spelling suggestion service it would be eternally appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
    Shiv.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I would also like to know how to do this If anyone knows

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I looked at the first page google returned, which unsurprisingly is its own page on the stuff, and it says :

[size=-1]The Google Web APIs developer's kit provides documentation and example code for using the Google Web APIs service.

[/size]

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

thanks for your input. however while the example code provide the xml of the actual web service it doesn't explian how to call it or print it to a standard .net asp page. The SDK contains a ton of stuff - all i want to do is see a woring simple hosted example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well in that case you want ASP tutorials, not Google API ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

thanks for your input. however while the example code provide the xml of the actual web service it doesn't explian how to call it or print it to a standard .net asp page.

The examples (which I've looked at) are written in C# and VisualBasic.Net - either of which can be used as the code-behind language on an aspx page.

I'd suggest that if you can't figure out how to copy code from one project to another, then your problem is not the google API.

On the other hand, if your problem is that you don't know about code-behind, then fair enough....its just that as soon as you mentioned aspx in your first post, I assumed you'd know the basics of it as opposed to asp.

In any case, the code in those samples is trivial to read, so maybe you could explain how you've tried implementing similar behaviour in javascript or vbscript (where the syntax would be virtually identical), and what the problem you're running into is.

(If you can't find the code, its in cacheButton_Click and spellButton_Click in the .cs file)

I'm not trying to be deliberately unhelpful....its just that what you seem to be asking for is the solution to your homework ("we need to do a web-page that does X, so if someone could give me a web-page that does X as a starting reference....") and, well, thats just not the point of this forum.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

What you want is a SOAP utility for your language. Nusoap for PHP, for example. Google web API is cool :) (That thing in my sig is a PHP Google Web API app)

Advertisement