Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamlet

Options
  • 20-04-2005 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

I was just wondering how some of you go about studying it noteswise. I feel that i know the play inside out but I have a hard time actually putting a proper answer together. I did get a good mark in the mock for my Hamlet answer but Claudius is probably one of my favourite characters so it proves.

As for others-Gertrude,Ophelia, Horatio etc...what kind of notes do you get from your teachers? Ours just kind of talks to us about it. Any sample essays? For example if you were asked to discuss the role of Horatio how would you make a 4 page answer out of it? What headings would you look at him under?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

For example if you were asked to discuss the role of Horatio how would you make a 4 page answer out of it? What headings would you look at him under?

There is no chance in hell that a full question on Horatio is gonna come up, his part in the play is small. What I'm gonna do (and I think it's enough) is study the characters of Hamlet, Polonius, Claudius and Gertrude, and general themes like fathers & sons, betrayal and such. Besides there is a choice of two questions 2 do so chances are you won't be stuck.

*Angel* wrote:
    There is no chance in hell that a full question on Horatio is gonna come up, his part in the play is small. What I'm gonna do (and I think it's enough) is study the characters of Hamlet, Polonius, Claudius and Gertrude, and general themes like fathers & sons, betrayal and such. Besides there is a choice of two questions 2 do so chances are you won't be stuck.

Exactly. I've never seen two character questions come up in the same year. It's usually one character question and one general question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

Horatio has come up as has Fortinbras.The idea of Fortinbras just ****s me up in general.

Horatio has come up as has Fortinbras.The idea of Fortinbras just ****s me up in general.

Fortinbras wouldn't be too hard. You could sneakily link his revenge for his father's failed conquests with that of Hamlet's and Laetes' revenge for their respective fathers. The examiner wouldn't expect you to be able to write a WHOLE essay on such a minimal character.

Advertisement