Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are you going out the comparative studies??

Options
  • 20-04-2005 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

i find this section slightly tricky. We are doing literary genre on Dances with Wolves, Juno and the Paycock and Panther in theBasement...weird teacher i doubtanyone has them.
    but anyway i thought literay genre went into like the sort of camera angles used the genre and such and not the characters traits and linklages. anyone want to broaden the comparative for me with more topics??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Im doing a novel, a play and a film (none of the same, sorry) but you need to talk about:
    -Who is telling the story
    (1st/2nd/3rd person narrative, omniscient etc. or for film, through whos eyes are we being told the story, it varies throughout the text)
    -How...
    (in the film a violent scene might be shown by the use of shot/reverse shot, in the novel it might be by use of descriptive language and in the play it might be by short terse dialogue)

Ive just made out a table for Literary Genre and compared the texts under the following headings:
    Dialogue
    Props
    Sound
    Action
    Perspective
    Setting
    Characters

Or, alternatively, look at the table they made here:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/gettingitright/engpaper2.PDF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

cheers. out of curiosity what school in cork are you in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lestats_bride

I think we're doomed for it. She's not giving it any attention at all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

yea i'm doing the same texts as yourself dimerocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

holy crap i didnt think anyone would have been doing them ones. they are a little obscure compared to the normal ones anyway. how are you finding them?

• Advertisement

Difficult at first but sort of getting the hang of it now. I mean i know the texts really, its answering the question i have the problem with. We have no sample answers or anything like that for the comparitive, so its hard to know what the examiners are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Theres set lists of texts that teachers can choose. Most people either do your set or else do
    strictly bullroom
    circle of friends
    the playboy of the western world

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

You could try www.skoool.ie/skoool/homeworkzone_sc.asp?id=2564 for a bit of help, though the notes they give don't go into much depth - they also seem to have forgotten to cover 'General Vision and Viewpoint' for Dances with Wolves, they probably haven't updated it since last year

Fishie wrote:
    they probably haven't updated it since last year

Your dead right. Features like ask the expert aren't functioning anymore. I sent them two emails but they said they would re-open it near the exams.

I'm doing:

Things Fall Apart
    Of Mice and Men
    Fly Away Peter

Is anyone else doing any of these?

• Advertisement

Is anyone else doing any of these?
    I'm doing Of Mice and Men - it's my favourite of the comparative texts, I could write pages and pages on it!! I'm also doing 'The Playboy of the Western World' and 'Home Before Night' - I find 'Home Before Night' the hardest to answer on

I could write pages and pages on it!!

I agree. It's very easy to write about. As long as I don't get an awkward question I should do fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Camogie Playa

Strictly Ballroom
    Amongst Women
    A Doll's House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭sarahg_angel69

HAMLET
    WITNESS
    OF MICE AND MEN

really easy to answer on~!! teacher sed it likely that the theme qt wont cum up in june n that wat i find the easiest!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

Oh! I just read what I write and grammer terrible!! Am sleepy today, here I try again:

Did you See http://www.sip.ie/sip069/Documents/...literature.html It very good, it explain to me what is need. We do Room with view, girl with pearl earing and King Lear. We study cultur context, litary genre and women. I think it is hard, espically King lear but we not have to read play so she explain story to me and the quotes just have to learnt. I have friend she does dances with wolves in ordinary level, she say it annoying and others do the dances with wolves and doll house and Babalon.

There! Much better, sorry, I not know how to delete other post.

chickens wrote:
    I not know how to delete other post.
    If you look at your own posts, on the bottom right there should be a button saying 'Edit' with a pair of scissors on it. Click this, and you will have the option to change your post/delete it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

Ahh!! So that what edit is. Thank you.

No problem!

Advertisement