Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear wheel rocking on hub

Options
  • 20-04-2005 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭

My rear wheel moves perpendicular to the direction of rotation, about 5mm maybe. This is when it is secured in the frame.

Is this likely to be loose cones? If so, how do I tighten them?

The bike is a 2001 Specialized Rockhopper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Could be - depends on the hub. If its sealed, problem is most likely that the bearings are worn and will need to be replaced. However, if the wheel is part of the original bike I doubt it's sealed so try tightening the cones with a cone spanner, or just hand tighten them. The bearing races and ball bearings may also be worn (depends on long the cones were loose), in which case you may need to replace them as well. Worst case is a new hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Cones shouldnt be very tight though, I remember over doing them years ago and snapped an axel... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

On that bike the hub will have cup and cone bearings. You'll need cone wrenches to adjust them. You're as well off to replace the bearings while you're at it (they're cheap). Since it's the rear wheel you'll have to remove the cassette to do any adjustments. If you're unsure of what to do just bring it into a shop. Otherwise this should be useful.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_hub.shtml

Advertisement