Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slightly off topic but.....

Options
  • 20-04-2005 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

can anyone explain a comment in the Irish Times to-day about the Direct Mail opt out register which Comreg have been putting in place for the last year.
    Mr Meade (The Data Protection Commissioner) said he was very disappointed that Comreg still had not introduced a national opt out register for people who did not wish to receive marketing calls on their landlines or mobile phones.

Last July it was agreed that people could have their names put on a register to ensure that they would not receive such calls.

When such a register was introduced in the US two years ago, some eight million people put their names on it on the first day of operation.

Yesterday a spokesman for Comreg said the register would be in place by June. He said Comreg had put the framework for the register in place and it was Eircom's responsibility to enact it.

Why are Eircom, who have a vested interest in keeping as many people as possible open to such marketing involved at all? This is another example of Comreg abdicating its responsibility to protect the public.

M.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Standard ComReg Response Number Three.

Isolde's a real f*cking progressive, isn't she? It's almost like Etain never left.

Damien, you need to tear these assholes a new one.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

dahamsta wrote:
    Damien, you need to tear these assholes a new one.

Sounds like an EFF/EFI/TelcoWatch matter to me Adam. Any news on that front ? I don't think it falls under the IrelandOffline remit but we'll gladly help out. I'll bring it up when we're meeting ComReg next (May 19th) if someone wants to put a well-written request together.

I don't know what the Data Commissioner is on about however. I would have assumed it was his area too and he could do more than pass the buck to ComReg. He's got powers too. I'm not too happy with Joe Meade's crowd when after lodging a complaint against an Irish spammer they went silent and then took two weeks to reply to my email asking for an update and in which they said it could be 6 months before the finish their investigations.

Advertisement