Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do NI nationalist/catholic voters support SF?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Earthman wrote:
    Do you accept that the very vast majority of the Irish people never gave their permission for this war to be carried out in their name and had a dim view of the IRA's actions?

I will if you accept that it was a very small minority of the Irish people who had no choice but to fight and couldnt give a feck as to how the rest of the Irish population view them as they werent subjected to the humans rights abuses of the British establishment over a sustained period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

capistrano wrote:

While, I'm not a unionist, I think David Trimble was close to the mark when he said that "these folks ain't house trained yet" (or something like that).

Would this be the same David Trimble that marched through Portadown arm in arm with Ian Paisley after putting those pesky fenians in their place?
    :rolleyes:

AmenToThat wrote:
    I will if you accept that it was a very small minority of the Irish people who had no choice but to fight and couldnt give a feck as to how the rest of the Irish population view them as they werent subjected to the humans rights abuses of the British establishment over a sustained period of time.
    I actually do understand where the IRA drew their support and why.
    Where I draw the line is the fact that they may claim the support of the Irish people for that, they had no such support.
    I'm on record as saying that TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

AmenToThat wrote:

Then why did this group call themselves the IRA, and not the DRA (derry republician army)?

The IRA have always mantained they have the mandate given to them by this dail, personally seeing as it was a vote taken 90 years ago, I think we need another election to see if the IRA still have that mandate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

AmenToThat wrote:
    Would this be the same David Trimble that marched through Portadown arm in arm with Ian Paisley after putting those pesky fenians in their place?
    I'm unaware of another David Trimble so yeah, it may well be the same chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

mycroft wrote:
    Then why did this group call themselves the IRA, and not the DRA (derry republician army)?

The IRA have always mantained they have the mandate given to them by this dail, personally seeing as it was a vote taken 90 years ago, I think we need another election to see if the IRA still have that mandate

Hmmm. This has always been the problem has it not?. When IRA members are being charged with membership, is it not the case that they are charged with "membership of an organisation styling itslelf as "Oglaigh na hEireann", which is the Official name of the Army?. I think the issue is that they never recognised that Dáil as the official government.
    *disclaimer - I am pissed now, so I may edit this to correct as necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭[ Daithí ]

capistrano wrote:
    I have family links with Derry and friends in Belfast.

Also, your dictionary definition of war refers to "prolonged open conflict" - I'm not sure how "open" then conflct was. We didn't exactly have armies facing each other. Any, I don't want to get caught up on semantics - it's a bit of a gray area and open to subjective interpretation.

Everyone points out the "open" bit. It was open. We did have armies facing each other. The Irish Republican Army, the Irish National Liberation Army, the British Army.

And etcetera... ¬_¬

But yes, I agree, it is open to interpretation. It's a matter of opinion, I suppose.

Blackjack wrote:
    Hmmm. This has always been the problem has it not?. When IRA members are being charged with membership, is it not the case that they are charged with "membership of an organisation styling itslelf as "Oglaigh na hEireann", which is the Official name of the Army?. I think the issue is that they never recognised that Dáil as the official government.
    *disclaimer - I am pissed now, so I may edit this to correct as necessary.

Possibly they also might want to have a wee word about the whole illegal paramilitary terrorist organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Why do NI nationalist/catholic voters support SF?

Why are unionists supporting the DUP?

The electorate are voting for hard line extremist partys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

mycroft wrote:
    Possibly they also might want to have a wee word about the whole illegal paramilitary terrorist organisation

Yeah, well they do have the notion that they are the official Army of the Republic, and the correct (and Legal) army is not. I don't think they see themselves as Terrorists, but then I don't have any dealings with them so I don't speak for them, and neither do I condone their actions or continued existance.

• Advertisement

Blackjack wrote:
    Yeah, well they do have the notion that they are the official Army of the Republic, and the correct (and Legal) army is not. I don't think they see themselves as Terrorists, but then I don't have any dealings with them so I don't speak for them, and neither do I condone their actions or continued existance.

Part of the success of the IRA is a mythologising of a group of armed thugs as a heroic army of freedom fighters.

How they seem themselves is immaterial to what they actually are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Part of the success of the IRA is a mythologising of a group of armed thugs as a heroic army of freedom fighters.

Even after the McCartney murder - the most gullable still see them as such.

They have an effective propaganda machine.

Advertisement