Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aprilia Capo Nord

Options
  • 21-04-2005 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Anyone here got one of these? I'm seriously thinking of switching to one but, since I can't get a test ride, and I want to avoid being burned like I was with a Honda Varadildo, I'd like to hear opinions. Especially from taller riders.
    Mind you, ye see bugger all of these bikes around, so I won't hold my breath for an answer. :) I just cannae stay away from Aprilias. This'll be my fourth if I get it. I admint it, I have a problem. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Burned with a Varadero?
    Varadero is one of the easiest bikes to ride.....Corners like a dream....Is well easy on fuel consumption.....Cheap to insure......What more do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I've never driven one (would give someones left arm for a spin) but for a long time the Rally Raid version was my favourite bike. It's taller again, and the colours are deadly.

Definitely one of my dream bikes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

I want a bike that doesn't cause blurred vision, unbelievable buffeting, headaches, (these problems were acknowledged as known issues by Honda UK at the time, but Honda Ireland didn't want to know) doesn't give the notion that there's a front wheel up there somewhere and isn't the limpest V-twin I've ever ridden. It sure doesn't feel like 93bhp. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
    However, that's all a little off the subject. I was a hair's breadth away from buying a Rally Raid second hand from Bikeworld a few weeks back, but somebody nipped in there before me (I was unavoidably delayed). Still, I'd love to get one, but just need to make sure VaraSyndrome isn't going to be an issue. The Rally Raid is definitely the preferred option since I'm 6'7", and finding a second hand bike that fits has always been an issue. :'(;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I was seriously considering a Copo' a few months back. The models they have in Bikeworld are the 2002 version, and are still looking for the same price.

Mainly I was put off, 'cos a shop bluntly told me that they would very happily sell me one, but would never take it off me in a trade in 'cos they feel they'd never sell it again.

They do look like really nice bikes though, and I'd still love one. Maybe one day....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fish Man

I bought a 2002 Aprilia CapoNord from Bike World about six months ago. I am 6' 2" and I find the riding position good. I still think it is the best looking bike in its class and I have not had any problems, althought I was told by a friend in the trade that problems can be expensive with Aprilias.

BikeWorld told me that they had no intention of bringing any newer version of the Capo into the country. Standard Irish service there. I've had two Aprilia's before, both of which I was told by the dealer would be next to impossible to sell second-hand. As it happens, they both, in their turn, went within a week of advertising. Dealers just like to bend you over to have a look before they ass-ram you at trade-in time.
    Krusty, that page didn't load properly for me, but I'm guessing you're talking about an R1200GS? That bike just doesn't do it for me. I'm also told that, despite the amount of plastic, they're desperate for corrosion problems. Take a look at all the problem posts on www.ukgser.com. It'd put you off buying a new BM for life. :(
    I was in Leicester last weekend and thought I'd browse the local bike shops. Did ye see the movie Clerks? Specifically, where Randall walks into Big Star Video and drops to his knees. That was me, that was. Sooooo many bikes you never/hardly ever see here. Quite a bit cheaper than here too. Fuel for daydreams (as if I needed any more). :)

BTW, Fish, I've honestly never heard anyone talk about how cheap problems are on any big bore bike. How much more expensive can problems be, when servicing already costs an arm and a leg? (Don't answer that!!!) ;)

Megabikes would probibly get you a new model in if you wanted one.

Myself, just bought a Z750s......

Garibaldi wrote:
    Krusty, that page didn't load properly for me, but I'm guessing you're talking about an R1200GS? That bike just doesn't do it for me. I'm also told that, despite the amount of plastic, they're desperate for corrosion problems. Take a look at all the problem posts on www.ukgser.com. It'd put you off buying a new BM for life. :(
    Don't be saying that after I've passed over my hard earned sheckles for a shiny new GS... :eek:
    Sorry about the broken link, this one should work fine...

I've done a fair bit of research on the GS, including hours of reading the UKGs'er site (and 600 miles since Friday :D ) and am absolutely in love with the bike.. Has completely changed the biking experience for me. But then I've never ridden a Capo Nord, Tiger, Varadero or the V-Strom. Go visit Maddocks or Joe Duffy's and take one for a test ride for a few hours, and I defy you not to fall in love with it...

Admittedly, not the best looing bike in the world, but...
    BMWR1200GSc.jpg

• Advertisement

I admit, I do actually like the look of the 1200, but I just couldn't take the chance after all the problems I've read about. I *do* hope you don't fall foul of these problems. I'm sure that, once BM have fired all their existing QA staff, the problems will all be cleared up but, until that day, I won't be buying. Might go and take one for a spin for the hell of it, though. And if I end up buying, you're dead!! ;)

Z750s a lovely machine alright. Waaaay too small for me, though. I gave the lads in Fowler's (in Bristol) a laugh by sitting on an R6. Then I gave myself piles by sitting on a KTM 950 Adventure. Bloody hell, that was like sitting on a vinyl-covered concrete beam. Good looker, though.

Garibaldi wrote:
    Z750s a lovely machine alright. Waaaay too small for me, though. I gave the lads in Fowler's (in Bristol) a laugh by sitting on an R6. Then I gave myself piles by sitting on a KTM 950 Adventure. Bloody hell, that was like sitting on a vinyl-covered concrete beam. Good looker, though.

its big enough when you move up from a vespa.......

Garibaldi wrote:
    I admit, I do actually like the look of the 1200, but I just couldn't take the chance after all the problems I've read about. I *do* hope you don't fall foul of these problems. I'm sure that, once BM have fired all their existing QA staff, the problems will all be cleared up but, until that day, I won't be buying. Might go and take one for a spin for the hell of it, though. And if I end up buying, you're dead!! ;)
    Well, the key (historic) problems with the GS12 seem to be:
    Servo brakes (with ABS): if there's any fault with the braking system, you're left with residual (read: very little) hydraulic braking. Servo/ABS is optional, so avoid them if it's a concern.
    Poor throttle response at lower speeds: This has been fixed by a software update (although there is rumour of a subsequent SW update in the pipeline)
    Some poor weather protection of rear light filament.
    A bit of recent mean'ness on the part of BMW by not supplying a second metal key (they do provide you with a plastic key) and a reduced toolkit (no puncture repair kit)..

What other problems are you aware of, so I can look out for them?

Two other majors that I'm aware of are gearbox/clutch failure and severe corrosion, both of these being on bikes with low mileage. The corrosion one is really more of an annoyance, I suppose, as the dealer should replace any badly corroded parts under warranty. Still, unless you live close to a dealer, that can be a major pain in the ass. Do Maddocks lend you a bike when yours is being serviced these days? I know Duffy's do, but I haven't been out Fassaroe way in a long time. Another relatively minor problem is the tendency for the tank badge to snap off under very little pressure.
    What's the deal with the plastic key? Hadn't heard about that one. How useful is that? Is it just a template to get a new metal one cut from or what?

No offence, Sacha! I meant it's way too small when you're 6'7". :)

Garibaldi wrote:
    Two other majors that I'm aware of are gearbox/clutch failure and severe corrosion, both of these being on bikes with low mileage. The corrosion one is really more of an annoyance, I suppose, as the dealer should replace any badly corroded parts under warranty. Still, unless you live close to a dealer, that can be a major pain in the ass. Do Maddocks lend you a bike when yours is being serviced these days? I know Duffy's do, but I haven't been out Fassaroe way in a long time. Another relatively minor problem is the tendency for the tank badge to snap off under very little pressure.
    What's the deal with the plastic key? Hadn't heard about that one. How useful is that? Is it just a template to get a new metal one cut from or what?
    I'll watch for both of these issues, but thankfully BMW has a very comprehensive warranty that should cover these risks(for the first two years anyway!).. Thanks for the heads-up!

Yeah, dropped in my GS for the first service this morning, and was given an even lower mileage bike (750 kms) for the day, which is a pretty sweet deal, in comparison to many other bike shops.. They gave me a R1200ST. Same engine as the GS, in a slightly higher state of tune.. But Jeebus does it feel cramped in comparison to the GS!

The plastic key works exactly the same as the metal keys, they're just handy in that you can keep them in your wallet..

Advertisement