Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Bb

• 21-04-2005 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Is anyone having any issues connecting to via NTL?

It appears that my TV signal is down the crapper and it is also affecting my NTL connection

Is this just a localised problem or is it affecting anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Where are you located exactly. My BB seems fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Both NTL TV and broadband disappeared at about 1 a.m. last night in Lucan. At least it was an excuse to get to bed early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I am based in the Christchurch area - have had no problem in the 4 months I have had it installed, and it just died last night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Probably a local exchange maybe down. Have you phoned NTL. I'm up in Dublin 7 and everything is working here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

I experienced the same problem (D8 area), BB with connection problems since lunch yesterday, TV reception problems all night and this morning.
    Good news is: all is back to normal now !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Is anyone still having problems in Christchurch area? My connection has dropped every night at about 21.20 for the past four days. I mailed NTL just earlier but wont hear back until tomorrow at earliest. It bothers me because my connection was fine until about two weeks before the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Don't know if it's any way related but I was having problems at the weekend (in Citywest) and they said there was a 'deep segmentation' problem but it was sorted now. Best thing is for everyone in the area to ring in and I'm sure they must have kind of trigger level for issues raised in an area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I'm in Lucan (beside Penny Hill pub) and haven't had any TV reception problems but now and again I lose the broadband connection and have to reboot my machine. Maybe once an hour.

I've the basic NTL package.
    I'd be surfing on the web, try going to another page, and the Http request would timeout.
    I have ZoneAlarm firewall installed, which was blocking requests to a machine called something like cache1.ntl.net, so I unblocked that.
    But still get the problem... it's quite irritating.

And when I'm online, at least every 5 mins there's someone trying to remotely log on to my machine via TCPIP port 1026.
    Not sure if the port scanning attempts are killing my connection, or whether it's NTL problems.

Any ideas ?

regards,
    Owen

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

OMcGovern wrote:
    I've the basic NTL package.
    I'd be surfing on the web, try going to another page, and the Http request would timeout.
    I have ZoneAlarm firewall installed, which was blocking requests to a machine called something like cache1.ntl.net, so I unblocked that.
    But still get the problem... it's quite irritating.

So it is not just me, I've seen a similiar problem with Zonealaram. If you shutdown zonealaram it works fine, very strange. I have no idea what is causing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was running Bittorrents last night when my NTL connection died - router had no address and wouldn't reconnect - had to power-cycle the modem. Had problems also any other time when using BT. I suspect that NTL do something as it seems more than a coincidence having happened nearly any ( fairly rare ) time I've used BT.

Also my digital TV regularly loses particular channels ie. most work but others disappear and might not come back with a power-cycle. Keep meaning to ring them about it but don't think they have support at night when I notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bk wrote:
    So it is not just me, I've seen a similiar problem with Zonealaram. If you shutdown zonealaram it works fine, very strange. I have no idea what is causing this.

I've done a little reading and it seems to be a known problem with the latest version of Zonealaram. Nothing to do with NTL.

There are a few workarounds that I will try tonight. I'll let you know if they work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

bk wrote:
    I've done a little reading and it seems to be a known problem with the latest version of Zonealaram. Nothing to do with NTL.

There are a few workarounds that I will try tonight. I'll let you know if they work.
    Àlso make sure that ZoneAlarms internet lock isn't just engaging - it usually locks down all internet activity after some preset idle time - 5 minutes is default I think. The tray icon will turn into a lock - to unlock right click and hit unlock.

Else try a different firewall. I have a hardware firewall and it is constantly reporting port scanning and all sorts of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

You can disable the ZoneAlarm Automatic Lock:
    - double click the ZA tray icon
    - select 'Program Control' on the left hand side
    - then dis/enable / customise the 'Automatic Lock'

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Propocus

I'm in D15 (Blanchardstown) and I have definitely be having some problems
    in recent weeks. Last Thursday no connection from at least 8PM (when I first
    tried to connect) and for the rest of the evening. Before going to work the next day at 7AM I plugged in the modem, got connected OK but upon returning that evening at 6.30 - no service again. Rang the helpline but everyone had gone home - service returned again 3 hours later. No problems then until last night when service was down again from at least 6.30 to 8.15.
    Anyone else in the area experiencing these difficulties in D15?
    (No problem with NTL Digital though..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

bk wrote:

Hey BK,

I think I've sorted that ZoneAlarm problem... at least it hasn't occured since I've made this change.
    I had the primary DNS address added as a trusted IP address, but not the secondary DNS address.

To fix....

1. Open the ZoneAlarm control centre
    2. Click on the "firewall" option on the left hand side column of options
    3. On the main page there's 2 tabs.
    a) Main
    b) Zones
    Select Zones
    4. At the bottom of the screen is an "add" button
    Click it. It offers 4 choices in a little pop-up menu.
    Choose "ip address"

- leave the Zone selection at "Trusted"
    - for the IP Address enter 194.168.4.100
    - for the description you can enter "Primary DNS address"

5. Repeating step 4....
    At the bottom of the screen is an "add" button
    Click it. It offers 4 choices in a little pop-up menu.
    Choose "ip address"

- leave the Zone selection at "Trusted"
    - for the IP Address enter 194.168.8.100
    - for the description you can enter "Secondary DNS address"

That should do it !

Ps. In case you're paranoid about trusting those IP addresses I gave you,
    you can verify them at the NTL web site.

http://www.ntlworld.ie/help/settings.html

regards,
    Owen

Advertisement