Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Industrial Strenght Drains unblocker

• 21-04-2005 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭

Can anyone reccomend a good industrial strenght product that clears drains etc, and where it can be bought?

I have a drain thats slow, and a bit smelly too! I used a powder from tesco, and it made apartial difference for a while.

However i remember when i worked ina resturant, they had a red liquid that could clean anything, and bacteria power that 'ate' grease?

X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Take care if using the grade of drain cleaner used by restaurants and shops, they usually have a stainless steel or similar metal waste pipe.

Standard PVC waste pipes for houses can be bent out of shape by industrial cleaners, if the Mr Muscle type products are not working I suggest you find out why.

The smells are what the waste traps are meant to avoid by forming a water seal, you may have to start outside and check where the pipes are running to.

It might be a simple job of taking off the waste traps and cleaning them or it could be a pipe running back and blocking the water from flowing away.

Products like Mr. Muscle can score the inside of the waste pipe, that means the waste has something to grip and will block up faster each time such products are used because the pipe is no longer the nice smooth finish it is supposed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Also, if they don't work and you have to get a plumber in, you won't be too popular if they have to work with piping with industrial strength cleaner in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

One Shot. is a heavy duty drain unblocker. We have used it in hairdressers and commercial kitchens. It available from some plumbing suppliers but be careful when using it.

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

Caustic Soda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

pure caustic soda is cheap, there is nothing stronger (almost all other cleaners are based on blends of it), and can be got from any hardware store.

However: Be careful about using it on plastic pipes as it does give off a lot of heat. Follow the instructions carefully to avoid injuries.

If that doesnt work, call out the guys with the power pressure jets, i had to get them out a few years ago to clear an old pipe but it worked a treat.

<edit : Drummer -snap!>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

I could have posted caustic soda from the start, the reason I didn't is a simple problem could be turned into a major drama.

Most of the cleaning agents are based on diluted caustic soda afaik, so use it at in the knowledge there could be a very big bill from your tradesman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

any other ideas to clear pipe/drain thanks

Advertisement