Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Revenue clampdown on dodgy number plates.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are probably more cars registered in South Dublin so this probably make no difference.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

prospect wrote:
    What baffles me is why they split the smaller counties, and not Dublin!!!
    When the car sales shot up in 2000, the very high number 'D' car regs were hard to read, but had they split dublin, this would have made a big difference.

Sure Northsiders don't buy new cars. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Motorbikes are only required to have a rear plate. The front "knife" plate is a thing of the past.

(according to some guy here in the office who has a moped)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

bond-007 wrote:
    There are probably more cars registered in South Dublin
    Well if there was only 10%, it would have avoided the 6th digit
    spockety wrote:
    Sure Northsiders don't buy new cars. ;-)
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Yep, that's why the front plate was removed - caused serious injuries to pedestrians in a collision. Hey, maybe we should bring them back!! :D

Actually how about a big titanitm jousting spear mounted on the front - it'd make people more careful of bikes when pulling out!
    And it'd give new meaning to the term 'chopper' :D

causal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

vector wrote:
    further dublin would be the only county to have two letters the same "DD" reinforcing its capital/different/special status
    Too late, as anyone in Wicklow could tell you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Silvera wrote:
    ???

When remembering a registration, you have to recall all of it's digits, hence -

old registrations = 6 digits (max),
    new registrations = up to 9 digits (max).
    Not strictly true, some Northern counties used three letters and four digits in their reg, so the maximum was 7 in the old registrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

spockety wrote:
    When was the last time you made a gross generalisation about an entire section of the motoring public?

I don't make gross generalisations about an entire section of anything. Still waiting on someone to answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

spockety wrote:
    What kind of rubbish is this?
    The only time they could avoid being caught speeding, where a car would have been caught.

This is the easiest method of catching speeding offenders, yet it won't work for them. How convienient...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I don't make gross generalisations about an entire section of anything. Still waiting on someone to answer my question.
    Your question being: Do motor bikers get done for speeding?
    Answer : Yes they do, I know, personally, of one biker with 6 points.

So yes, they do get done/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Back on topic...

What is the font to be used in these plates, cus I can only find...
    Subject to the provisions of subparagraph (8), the identification mark of a vehicle shall be exhibited, in the case of a vehicle which has only one front wheel, on the back of the vehicle and, in the case of any other vehicle, on the front of and on the back of the vehicle in a vertical or nearly vertical position, so that every letter or figure of the identification mark is vertical or nearly vertical and is easily distinguishable, in the case of the letters and figures placed on the front of the vehicle, from in front of the vehicle and in the case of the letters and figures placed on the back of the vehicle, from behind the vehicle.

So my 10% italic plates are ok then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

MadsL wrote:
    Back on topic...

What is the font to be used in these plates, cus I can only find...

So my 10% italic plates are ok then?
    The identification mark shall appear in black characters and each letter or figure shall have a
    height of 70 millimetres and a stroke width of 10 millimetres. The total width of the space
    taken by each letter or figure (other than the letter “I” or the number “1”) shall be not less than
    36 millimetres and not more than 50 millimetres. The distances between adjoining letters and
    adjoining figures shall be uniform and shall be not less than 8 millimetres.
    from the Revenue website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

blastman wrote:
    Not strictly true, some Northern counties used three letters and four digits in their reg, so the maximum was 7 in the old registrations.

I'm aware that Northern Ireland registrations use a max of 7 digits.

However, it is a different durastiction and not relevant in this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Silvera wrote:
    The situation is as I stated earlier -
    All vehicles registered on or after 1st January 1991 must use 'euro' plates - the only exceptions being ZV, ZZ, Trade Plates, Defence Force vehicles and Buses.

Just going back to this one for a minute, note that the quote from Oasis.ie (and in the Revenue brochure that you can get in VRO's) is:

"It's important to note that the rules regarding the special format of vehicle registration plates do not apply to vehicles that were registered prior to 1 January 1991 or to vehicles registered in the "ZV", "ZZ" or Trade Licence series."

It does not state "first registered" nor does it state "registered in the State", which means that (for example) my 83 D Mk1 Golf can have black/silver plates because it was "registered prior to 1 January 1991" (in London, on 8th August 1983).

Re Defence Force vehicles.

I saw a black Ford Mondeo (current shape) a few weeks ago, with those silver text on black background plates, looked cool. I didn't notice but it must have been a defence force official car which would have been indicated by the circular division logo.

So, getting to the point, if you want those silver on black plates for your black civilian saloon car you might consider applying a defence force log to your front and rear bumper? I've seen cars with pioneer and jvc written all over them so why not a defence force logo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

vector wrote:

I saw a black Ford Mondeo (current shape) a few weeks ago, with those silver text on black background plates, looked cool. I didn't notice but it must have been a defence force official car which would have been indicated by the circular division logo.

So, getting to the point, if you want those silver on black plates for your black civilian saloon car you might consider applying a defence force log to your front and rear bumper? I've seen cars with pioneer and jvc written all over them so why not a defence force logo :D
    Do you fancy spending some time in the pen for impersonating the defence forces?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Do you fancy spending some time in the pen for impersonating the defence forces?

I phrased my post "might" & "consider"
    I was not endorsing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MadsL wrote:
    Back on topic... What is the font to be used in these plates, cus I can only find... So my 10% italic plates are ok then?
    No. It says the plate needs to be (near) vertical, i.e. you can't have it fixed to the flat of your roof.

Type 17 wrote:
    Just going back to this one for a minute, note that the quote from Oasis.ie (and in the Revenue brochure that you can get in VRO's) is:

"It's important to note that the rules regarding the special format of vehicle registration plates do not apply to vehicles that were registered prior to 1 January 1991 or to vehicles registered in the "ZV", "ZZ" or Trade Licence series."

It does not state "first registered" nor does it state "registered in the State", which means that (for example) my 83 D Mk1 Golf can have black/silver plates because it was "registered prior to 1 January 1991" (in London, on 8th August 1983).

Unless your 83 D Golf was first registered in Ireland between 1987 - 1991, you officially need 'euro' plates.

However, if you get old style (large font) black-on-white plates (front and rear), you will most likely not recieve any attention from the Gardai or Revenue.

i.e. unless they go to the trouble of looking at your reg document/log book, how are they to know that it wasn't first registered between 87-91 ! ;)

Silvera.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Silvera wrote:
    I'm aware that Northern Ireland registrations use a max of 7 digits.

However, it is a different durastiction and not relevant in this discussion.
    Not really, we used exactly the same system until 1987, it was in fact the original system established under the motor car act of 1904. Northern Ireland is now the only part of the UK that still uses the original system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

And lo and behold, Google Ads give us an ad for a site offering fancy plates! Ya gotta love Google! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Silvera wrote:
    Unless your 83 D Golf was first registered in Ireland between 1987 - 1991, you officially need 'euro' plates.
    Wrong.
    Date of first registration doesn't mean date of first registration in Ireland.
    I imported my bike here in 2003 but the Revenue certificate gives date of first registration as 1990. Therefore, euro plates not required.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

murphaph wrote:
    Not really, we used exactly the same system until 1987, it was in fact the original system established under the motor car act of 1904. Northern Ireland is now the only part of the UK that still uses the original system.

How can it be "not really" ??

This is the Republic of Ireland, Govt/Revenue/Gardai have no control over Northern Ireland registrations !

I'm aware that all of Ireland was originally issue regs under the 1904 Act.

ninja900 wrote:
    Wrong.
    Date of first registration doesn't mean date of first registration in Ireland.
    I imported my bike here in 2003 but the Revenue certificate gives date of first registration as 1990. Therefore, euro plates not required.

'Date of first registration' is always on reg certs.

However, it is the date of first registration in Ireland that determines what type/style of plates are officially required.

Euro plates are officially required for your bike because it was first registered here after Jan 1991. (Though most cops wouldn't be arsed to check the plate on a bike).

Silvera wrote:
    However, it is the date of first registration in Ireland that determines what type/style of plates are officially required.
    got a cite for that?
    Revenue are the authority in charge of licence plates, and according to them it was registered in 1990.

A cop can only go by the year of registration - which is 1990 - it would be ridiculous to apply one rule to one 90D vehicle and another rule to a second 90D vehicle just because the second one was imported.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ninja900 wrote:
    got a cite for that? .... ... - it would be ridiculous to apply one rule to one 90D vehicle and another rule to a second 90D vehicle just because the second one was imported.

Who said the law is not ridiculous? The law is the law etc. Don't ask for a cite, check it yourself - don't live in a fool's paradise.

Registration date in Ireland is the criterion. You may convince a cop, but you won't convince a judge.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    Don't ask for a cite, check it yourself - don't live in a fool's paradise.
    Registration date in Ireland is the criterion.
    Says who?
    The Irish Statute Book is online, so please provide a link with chapter and verse to back up your assertion. Otherwise you're just blowing smoke.
    You may convince a cop, but you won't convince a judge.
    I don't have to convince a cop or judge of anything, thank you very much, as my vehicle is fully legal irrespective of this little debate.
    I have cited a source - Revenue - as stating that they accept the date of first registration in another country. If you have a cite stating otherwise then please produce it.

ninja900 wrote:
    got a cite for that?
    Revenue are the authority in charge of licence plates, and according to them it was registered in 1990.

A cop can only go by the year of registration - which is 1990 - it would be ridiculous to apply one rule to one 90D vehicle and another rule to a second 90D vehicle just because the second one was imported.

Look it up yourself.

Vehicles registered in Ireland after 1991 (bar exceptions mentioned earlier) need euro plates - end of story. (The NCTS check car plates at time of tests).

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

vector wrote:

Aren't those plates only for active service vehicles so the Russians wouldn't be bale to see them just by pointing a Magliteski and getting them to reflect ? Any staff cars I've seen down here (incl a 04 Mondeo that's local) have normal plates.

On another note today we were overtaken by mad bikers on the new stretch of the Mallow - Cork road (on the 1 part of the 2 + 1 ) and yer mans plates were half the size of a curly-wurly and illegible at that..

• Advertisement

parsi wrote:
    Any staff cars I've seen down here (incl a 04 Mondeo that's local) have normal plates.

Probably put on by someone ignorant of the law, I too have seen army minibuses with normal plates, pity

Advertisement