Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Contract

• 21-04-2005 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Apologies for starting this on a new thread but the lack of response I've gotten from emails and other threads has driven me to it!

Only one thing is holding me back from getting Smart.
    If, during the 12 month period of the contract, I change address will I be able to move my Smart connection with me? Assuming my new address will also be on a Smart enabled exchange.

Or will I incur a penalty or charge for doing so? When I had to change my address with UTV before I got charged quite heavily for the privelidge and am not so keen on that happening again!

I saw nothing in the Terms and Conditions to clarify this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

slightly off topic, but has anyone else noticed that garfield o thingy from SMART has been VERY quiet since there products were released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Gilgamesh wrote:
    slightly off topic, but has anyone else noticed that garfield o thingy from SMART has been VERY quiet since there products were released

thats the way these companies work on boards
    they just use boards to get interest in their product
    then when its released they are gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Once the products are realeased, many answers are then available from the customers etc.

Due to the high degree of uncertainty regarding an unreleased product, they would need to be here to answer them.

Some people are now connected, so many specs/performance questions can now be answered by them, in general.

Of course, policy issues still need to be answered, but there is less urgency regarding this as the product has launched

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

JNive wrote:
    Once the products are realeased, many answers are then available from the customers etc.

Due to the high degree of uncertainty regarding an unreleased product, they would need to be here to answer them.

Some people are now connected, so many specs/performance questions can now be answered by them, in general.

Of course, policy issues still need to be answered, but there is less urgency regarding this as the product has launched

Smart would benefit from being more upfront about the progress on their various exchanges. Would be customers would welcome this particularly as their seems to be a great deal of of confusion (at least to judge from posts here) in the responses people are getting from csrs when they ring Smart.

As several people have already pointed out on boards customers respect honestly from a company even when it means bad news.

For instance they are still showing Crown Alley on the site as March/April even though Garfield has acknowledged it will now be May and they are still claiming that their speed is 4 times that of other isps.

I see what you mean lol. Yeah a lot of promotional literature, across all ISPs, needs to be corrected, and yeah, honesty and updates, regardless to the actual reality, is highly beneficial to customers, and will ensure that they can rely on you to actual tell it like it is, nothing worse than being strung along or told 'everything is ok, it will be sorted soon' when the real answer may be 'we have a serious technical problem, and it might not be sorted completely for 3 weeks'

cause the next time a problem happens, and they get told, it will be fixed in a day, they know that it will be a day lol.

'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' comes to mind.
    Tell lies now, and you'll never be trusted, even when telling the truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

the corpo wrote:
    Apologies for starting this on a new thread but the lack of response I've gotten from emails and other threads has driven me to it!

Only one thing is holding me back from getting Smart.
    If, during the 12 month period of the contract, I change address will I be able to move my Smart connection with me? Assuming my new address will also be on a Smart enabled exchange.

Or will I incur a penalty or charge for doing so? When I had to change my address with UTV before I got charged quite heavily for the privelidge and am not so keen on that happening again!

I saw nothing in the Terms and Conditions to clarify this

I got a reply from them when I asked about this and other similar problems.

If you change address, you must terminate the contract and sign-up for a new one.
    If there's a fee for early termination of contract, I imagine you'll have to pay it, along with new connection fees etc. and the (probable) loss of your "free" line-rental.
    On the other hand, they might waive some of the extra charges seeing as how they're still getting your money, and as long as you're still on a Smart enabled exchange, it's largely a trivial administrative issue to switch your account to a different port/DSLAM.

If they're smart, they will do the latter.

However it is stated that its free line rental 'Forever, while you are a Smart customer' so my taking on this, assuming you are remaining a smart customer, just a new contract, is that you would still have free line rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

JNive wrote:
    However it is stated that its free line rental 'Forever, while you are a Smart customer' so my taking on this, assuming you are remaining a smart customer, just a new contract, is that you would still have free line rental.
    Hi,

If you move to another Smart enabled exchange, or within the same exchange area and want to keep using Smart, you will retain your free line rental.

If you're still in contract, one of two things will happen.

1. Either we'll do the move for free, but you need to sign up again for a 12 month contract.
    2. No change to contract, but a charge for the move.

Hope this clears that up.

Garfield.
    PS. Been relatively quiet on boards as I've been busy (full time job and all that).

Advertisement