Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Issue with Environmental Waste Charge and Management Company Charge

Options
  • 21-04-2005 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Allo,

So myself and a friend have been renting a 2 bedroomed ground floor apartment since 1st May 2004 (the lease is up at the end of this month).

The landlady rings me last night, as she wanted to increase the rent by €60 a month. The increase was due to 2 main factors - the environmental waste charge and the management company have increased their servicing change.

We were unhappy with the increase in the rent, as we feel its already high enough for an above average size 2 bed apartment on the ground floor.

It is the apartment owners repsonsibility to pay the environmental waste charge (I read this in a Dublin City Council leaflet that came through the door), but what is the story with the mgt company charge?

I found some links that Victor posted, but im still confused. :confused:

Are we within limits to refuse the rent increase, using the argument that we pay rent to account for these type of charges? We feel that the landylady is simply passing the charge onto ourselves, which then brings up the point of "what do we pay rent for exactly?"

Any thoughts/past experiences out there?

Cheers

Mud ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

A landlord can put up the price once it is "reasonable". Check out www.threshold.ie about your rights as they are very good.

While you may feel the rent you are paying is enough the landlords expensives have gone up. The fact waste charges are meant to be the polluter pays for some reason they decided this should not apply to people renting. The additional charges to register each tennacy is just an additional tax that has no additional services are given as a result. Looking at it from their point why shouldn't they pass on additional charges?

Make sure you are getting your rent relief. That way you at least know the landlord is paying tax on the rental income and you get money you are due. If they aren't paying tax stop paying rent and report them to the tax man.

Failing that move to a cheaper place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

where is the apt.? How much rent are you paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Landlords can increase rents, but there are rules for this.

As to how anyone thinks they can raise rents when other rents are falling is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Enii wrote:
    where is the apt.? How much rent are you paying?

its terenure, 1 double room, 1 single room, 1 bathroom @ €1,100 per month. It hasn't been refurbished for a few years either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

its terenure, 1 double room, 1 single room, 1 bathroom @ €1,100 per month. It hasn't been refurbished for a few years either...
    You can get cheaper closer to town if you commute there. I'd look around as you could easily get better and/or cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

You can get cheaper closer to town if you commute there. I'd look around as you could easily get better and/or cheaper.
    well, we are looking elsewhere as the landlady wouldn't budge on the increase, so hasta la vista...etc etc

We have another person on board for the move aswell, so we are gonna get a 3 bedroomed place (prob house). Agreed that its better/cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You should be able to save yourself a few quid. Rents are on a decline in most areas of Dublin at the moment :)

Advertisement