Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Burner position advice?

Options
  • 21-04-2005 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm building a house and the builder suggests putting the oil burner against
    the back wall of the house. I thought it might be too noisy so I suggested
    putting it away from the house. He reckons that:
    a) I'll have to put it at least 20ft away so it isn't in the way of anything
    b) This is the equivalent of heating two radiators before the pipe even
    gets in to the house.

Any advice please? It was originally outside the downstairs bedroom, which
    is why I was worried about noise, but we could put it outside the bathroom
    and away from the bedroom. Pros and cons .... decision needed!

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

he's right. you'll loose a serious ammount of heat if the boiler is away from the
    house, you're much better off keeping it as close a physically possible to
    the house. even better again if you can heve it inside the house. if you have a
    utility room of garage attached to the house put it in either. to be honest,
    newer boilers aren't that noisey. inface older ones aren't very noisey. all you
    really hear is the hum of the fuel burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Manuel wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm building a house and the builder suggests putting the oil burner against
    the back wall of the house. I thought it might be too noisy so I suggested
    putting it away from the house. He reckons that:
    a) I'll have to put it at least 20ft away so it isn't in the way of anything
    b) This is the equivalent of heating two radiators before the pipe even
    gets in to the house.

Any advice please? It was originally outside the downstairs bedroom, which
    is why I was worried about noise, but we could put it outside the bathroom
    and away from the bedroom. Pros and cons .... decision needed!

Thanks for any help!
    I';ve just bought a house and the oil boiler is about 8ft away from the house. The house next door that is the end of terrace is located next to the side wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I would be inclined to to agree with your plumber, the boilers aren't very noisy and you want to heat your house not the ground outside.

With the cost of oil I think you would notice the increased cost of heating your home to the level that you are acustomed to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

My parents house, the 30year old burner was in a boiler house that was the far side of their bedroom wall (outter wall construction mind) and they never heard a thing.

If you make the boiler house remote, it will make the job more expensive, because of the ground duct and insulation required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

We included the boiler into a washroom/utility. My wife swears by it, we have a cloths rack mounted from the ceiling on a pulley which she uses for drying the clothes particularly in the winter. The boiler is insulated but it still gives off some heat so it saves on using the tumble dryer all the time. Never had any problems with smell or noise.
    I agree with woolymammoth, if you can't put it into the house, keep it as close as possible. No point in heating extra water in the pipework.

• Advertisement
Advertisement