Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless network problem

• 21-04-2005 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Okay, setup as follows:

PC Downstairs, wireless nic. Connected to home wireless network. WAG54G connected directly to DSL.

No problem with that, WAG54G is set to DHCP, PC downstairs obtains one, connects.

Now I've got a new PC. (We'll call it the upstairs PC, 'cos that's where it is).
    Both have XP Home edition SP2 by the way.

The upstairs PC, wireless adapter, picks up a signal (not very good mind you) from the wireless network, is set to obtain IP address automatically, but doesn't! This is doing my head in!!
    I have the feeling I'm missing something obvious, but at this stage I've tried anything I canthink of and am starting to go round in circles.
    Any ideas, much appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

Just to add, I 've just noticed that the signal to the upstairs PC is very erratic. From very low, to low, to good (at best). Within 10seconds it went from 24mbps down to 12mbps back up to 18mbps and then to 24mbps.

Could this be the underlying problem?

By the way, I've tried assigning a static IP upstairs, but still can't ping or access any network resources

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

First thing to try is changing the channel number. You might have interference. Some people recommend at least 3 steps (i.e. if you were on channel 1, take it up to 4; if you were on 11, take it down to 8).

If that fails, you might be just out of the access point's range. You have to remember, for a connection to work properly, it's not sufficient for your card to pick up the access point's SSID. This means that the accesspoint's range is strong enough to reach the upstairs PC, but the PC's adapter might not be strong enough to reach the access point.
    You should try and bring the upstairs PC closer to the access point (or the other way round) and see if it connects properly, including getting an IP address from the DHCP server. If that works, then it's the range.

Another thing to try would be to enforce a fixed speed for your adapter. Try setting it on 1Mbps, and then see if the connection works. Then you can try and take it up, until you start experiencing frequent disconnections.
    To set the speed of the card, right-click your connection, select Properties, then click the Configure button next to the adapter's name (label would be "Connect using" or such). In the adapter properties, open the Advanced page and browse the properties on the left for something like "Data Rates". I guess you're set on Automatic (hence the variations to adapt). This is where you can set it to a fix value or, if the adapter permits it, to a range (i.e. 802.11b = 1M, 2M, 5.5M, 11M).

HTH,
    JP

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

Thanks Joypad. I've just got it working an hour ago by changing the wag54g from Mixed mode, to "g" only. Don't know why I had it in mixed in the first place.

Prior to that I had done some but not all of the things you suggested - what effect does changing the channel have?

While I'm on the new PC now typing this entry, I have found over the past hour that the wag54g keeps dropping out - I have to re-boot in order to bring the network back up. From reading around other forums on the newt, it seems that basically the piece of kit I've got is a piece of junk and I'll probably have to replace it! (A couple of people suggested upgrading firmware, which I did, and then couldn;t connect to the AP! - had to reset factory defaults at the back).

Anyway, it's working now, so all I need is a recommendation for a better device (signal, reliability) than the wag54g.

Thanks agaion - I was pulling my hair out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Mredmond wrote:
    Thanks Joypad. I've just got it working an hour ago by changing the wag54g from Mixed mode, to "g" only. Don't know why I had it in mixed in the first place.
    I think mixed mode is the default option, as it allows for any compatible device to connect. I would still suggest you to try and fix the data rate on the network adapter, to 54Mbps if it works for you.
    Mredmond wrote:
    Prior to that I had done some but not all of the things you suggested - what effect does changing the channel have?
    I might be corrected on this, but I'd say the channel number slightly changes the frequency at which the communication takes place. A lot of other radio devices operate in the 2.4GHz range, and it's easy to get interference. Digisenders, cordless phones, cordless headsets (I got one of each:D ), they all have to be tweaked until you eliminate interference. And if all goes nuts when you use the microwave oven, it's easy to realise those operate in about the same frequency range.
    Mredmond wrote:
    While I'm on the new PC now typing this entry, I have found over the past hour that the wag54g keeps dropping out
    See above for more tweaking -> channels on wireless devices in the house and a fixed data rate.
    Mredmond wrote:
    Anyway, it's working now, so all I need is a recommendation for a better device (signal, reliability) than the wag54g.
    I'm pretty sure the one you have should work. For extending the range, you wouldn't believe it, but there are a few things you can try that won't void your warranty. One is to change the position of the AP to vertical if you can, then rotate and check your signal meter. Another is this solution.

Cheers,
    JP

Advertisement