Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ping rates - Wireless or ADSL ?

• 21-04-2005 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

In general which broadband provider/service type provides :-
    1. The lowest ping rates.
    2. The most consistent ping rates.

Am I right in assuming that ADSL give a more consisent ping than the likes of Irish Broadband wireless ?

Is there any difference in ping rates across the ADSL providers ?

Thanks in advance for any input on this topic

SteveB.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

adsl gives lower constant pings
    go for iol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

isdn is even better as far a pings go, especially if you pay for a decend iadn mondem.

its sh1t slow though :(

for adsl make sure you get an ethernet modem as afaik the latency on usb is higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

elexes wrote:
    adsl gives lower constant pings
    go for iol

Thanks for the reply.
    Forgiven my ignorance but arent BT, UTV, IOL all from the same Eircom ADSL source, and if so would they not all have similar pings ?
    Smart has its own fibre ring. Which would be better for pings - Eircom(and its sibliings) or Smart ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

themole wrote:
    isdn is even better as far a pings go, especially if you pay for a decend iadn mondem.

its sh1t slow though :(

for adsl make sure you get an ethernet modem as afaik the latency on usb is higher

Thanks for the info.
    I assume you mean that ISDN has more consistent pings rather than lower pings.
    Does the internal/external adsl modem make a big difference - 10s of ms ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

isdn as a technology has lower latency than adsl, so it has lower ping rates, don't know by how much though.

same for usb vs ethernet, also don't know the differences, but if you really want as low a ping rate as you can get its worth looking into.

as far as internal vs external adsl modems, i don't know. my own thoughts is that internal would be faster as they wouldn't have the latency of a cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

internal modem -> Motheboard
    External Modem -> Ethernet Device -> Motherboard

LocalHost->motherboard->Ethernet Device->Router ping < 1ms

Diference between first 2 = 0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

isdn can give lower dos pings but in game its a whole different story especially on more modern games and large servers, isdn's very limited bandwidth causes nasty lag spikes in newer games where more bandwidth is needed but isdn is fine for old stuff like quake 2 and cs 1.6, also try going into a server with more than 16 people on isdn and the lag spikes can be bad there too regardless of game.

As for eircom and their resellers there is a difference in pings from one provider to the next, Eircom give the lowest pings then BT are almost as good but UTV and digiweb are poor when it comes to pings tho I hear UTV may have improved since. I havent heard anything about smarts pings so dunno how good they are.

With Irish Broadband I hear its very hit and miss depending on where you live, some people get amazing pings that put all the adsl services to shame and others get pings worse than 56k due to line of sight problems or being at the edge of the transmission area.

Definitely try and connect using ethernet rather than usb as it will shave a few ms off your ping over usb method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

on my 1Mb IBB i get consistent 5-8ms pings to boards.ie
    on my 1Mb eircom i get consistent 23-25ms pings to boards.ie

in general my eircom is slower re: pings and downloads for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

When it works, Wireless gives lower pings. But thats only when it works.

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11 (clarity.jolt.co.uk):
    Packets: Sent = 16, Received = 16, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 18ms
    Control-Break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

well mine has always "worked" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Mine to. I'm a good bit outside there coverage maps and get pings of about 6 to boards and sub 20ms to jolt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What about NTL??

Depend where you are?

:)

Advertisement