Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone Warehouse Insurance

Options
  • 21-04-2005 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I had my phone stolen off me back in feb anyway long story short I got a replacement phone through the insurance and all was good....

Until I got my bill, between the time the phone was stolen and the time vodafone cut off the phone 280euros of calls were made on the phone.

So back I went to CPW they photocopied my bill & told me to post it to an address in Santry and a cheque would be sent out.

That was 3 weeks ago, today I got a letter saying that they wouldn't be refunding the calls as my policy was not was not paid up to date. Apparently the bank had rejected the direct debit twice. But I was not informed.

Who's at fault The insurance company? the bank? me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I dunno who's at fault yet, but ring up the bank and find out why the direct debit was refused. That should give you some idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭PhilCurran

Yeah I'll be down at the bank today There's some great fine print in this policy:

'Non-payment of the premium at the agreed time, for any reason, shall be taken as a request by You for cancellation of Lifeline Complete and all payments & benefits and entitlements will cease. We will be under no obligation to advise You if payment of any part of the premium is not recieved.'

Translated into plain english: This is a loophole so we can screw you over if it suits us!

I don't think I'll be getting my money back, well not easily

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Seeing as you got the replacement phone through the insurance it means you did pay the premiums for the insurance through your DD (at least up to a point).

If a direct debit is refused by a bank (after having being able to get it on previous occasions) it usually means insufficent funds. They'll try again next working day and if refused a second time then it's kaput.

I don't think the bank have to notify you (but the will charge you :mad: ) - it's up to the company collecting the DD to get in touch. Given the clause you mentioned above the get out is "We assume you don't want it anymore, so we won't be in touch" - probably why you never heard anything.

The bank will give you more detailed info on why the DD's were refused - let us know how you get on

Spock

Advertisement