Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone here Commute from Enfield

• 21-04-2005 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Will soon be starting a new job where I will have to commute from Enfield to Connolly. I was just wondering do many other people in here commute to Dublin from Enfield and what option do they use ie Train, Bus, Drive?

What time would you normally leave at to get in for 9 in the morning, and what time do you get home at?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

I don't live in Enfield but there are a number of rail services from Enfield into the city during the day.

They are

Enfield dep: 07.16MX, 07.30MO, 08.00, 11.47, 13.13, 14.15.
    Connolly arr:08.20MX, 08.25MO, 09.04, 12.45, 13.58, 14.58.

Return trains leave at:

Connolly dep: 09.55, 10.37, 10.55, 17.05FO, 17.15, 18.57.
    Enfield arr: 10.36, 11.26, 11.38, 17.42FO, 18.11, 19.48.

MX: Does not run on Mondays.
    MO: Operates on Mondays only.
    FO: Operates on Fridays only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭SeanW

John R wrote:
    A weekly Bus/Rail unlimited use commuter ticket is €42 but if you are using only one mode cheaper options are available.

You have good public transport options. Enfield only has a bout 4 or 5 trains per day at the moment but there are train(s) that will get you into the city by 9AM with plenty of time to spare. What's more, frequency will improve over the next year or two. So this will be handy along with the selection of buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 daithid2000

SeanW wrote:
    You have good public transport options. Enfield only has a bout 4 or 5 trains per day at the moment but there are train(s) that will get you into the city by 9AM with plenty of time to spare. What's more, frequency will improve over the next year or two.

Thanks everyone for the replies. SeanW, just wondering do you for sure what the frequency will improve over the next year or two?? It would be great if it did, as I reckon it definitle should given the increase in population in both Kilcock and Enfield.

With regard to anyone taking buses in, how do they find the traffic and would the buses get in at the same time every morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭SeanW

Thanks everyone for the replies. SeanW, just wondering do you for sure what the frequency will improve over the next year or two?? It would be great if it did, as I reckon it definitle should given the increase in population in both Kilcock and Enfield.

To be truthful, that was a bit of guesswork.

Spencer Dock station is in the final planning stages at this point, it will masively increase capacity on the Maynooth and Kildare lines, but I imagine that the gains not limited to just those services. I could be dead wrong on that though.

Longer term (up to 5-10 years), the plan is to expand the current Longford/Mullingar commuter service to twice-hourly in peak time - clockface - these trains will all call at Enfield and Kilcock. With Maynooth electrification, that section will be served by DART so the Suburban service will no longer call at all local statons between Maynooth and Drumcondra as many of them do now.

So to answer your question (I got off on a tangent :( ), in the immediate term, the bus might be handy, however the train system is adequate now, and will improve further.

When I say the bus might be handy, I mean there's two trains on a weekday morning, 7:16/7:30 and 8:00 (which gets you into the city at 9:04). If you miss your train, note that there's a 3 hr 47 min gap in the timetable, next train is at 11:47.

So - in the near term - it would be a good idea to be familiar with the bus setup - just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

With regard to anyone taking buses in, how do they find the traffic and would the buses get in at the same time every morning?

I don't take the bus, and I don't go as far as Connolly, but the traffic is quite chaotic from Enfield to Kilcock evey morning. Monday's are even worse - usually 20-30 Km/h.

Having said that, the new motorway will be in place by the end of the year, so this will all change.

Once you get on the motorway at Kilcock, traffic moves along nicely. I believe from Lucan on, though, it is at a snails pace, but of course the bus can use the bus lanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I think there might be some private bus services aswell, but not 100% sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aprilhargreaves

hi there

I too am soon to be starting a job in Dublin, but in St. James' Hospital. I've been told the 115 bus goes from Enfield to Dublin and drops off and picks up at Heuston, but this stop is not detailed on the 115 timetable. Could anyone tell me whee about the Heuston stop lies in the chain of stations? Plus, how long does the commute take - Enfield to Heuston? Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭cullenswood

There are loads of private buses running that route aswell. I use Kearns Transport now. They stop and pick up at Heuston. Depending on traffic but you are usually looking at 40mins to/from Heuston given there are bus corridors the whole way. luas.ie for the Luas info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I recommend Kearns if getting bus, got them in college and never had a problem with them. Cheap enough too and reliable. Check their website for timetables and phone number to ring.

I used to get train from Maynooth into Connolly. Service is regular and fairly reliable but expensive enough and now paid parking. check irish rail website. Trains are packed to doors though and you won't get a seat until around Leixlip (at which point you might as well stay standing) on way out of town if its still as bad as it was when I was getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aprilhargreaves

Thanks guys. The help is very much appreciated.

Advertisement