Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a bug tracking app' for a small development team

Options
  • 21-04-2005 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I am currently evaluating a number of open source bug tracking solutions from sourceforge.net, when I find something that I am satisfied with I plan on implementing across our development team.

I am looking for something that is web based, supports a handful of developers and testers working on about 10 projects at any given time and has good reporting and querying support.

So far Mantis is looking the most promising, but I would welcome any suggestions or recommendations that people may have.

PS: I looked at Bugzilla, but unfortunately I am forced to use a Windows OS and it is too much of a pain to get it working on Windows, and I think it is too big for my needs anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I can't particularly recommend it as it's the only one I have used, but check out BugTracker. It's what we use in the office here and is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Thanks Goodshape, I had been looking at BugTracker.net for a couple of days alright but I think I am going to go with Mantis after all. I am still open to suggestions though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'd vote for Mantis.
    It's easy to use/maintain, you can have public and private projects, ideal for internal and customer bug tracking.
    We've been using it for a few months now and we're very happy with it - to the point that developers who were previously very anti systems like this are requesting projects for their own work.

The only complaint I've had is that it gets hectic with the emount of email (1 per bug report/bug note etc). Some developers would prefer a digest.
    I think they should just go into the contol panel and turn down the volume of email or learn to read the last in a thread, but that's just me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

For team development, I've used the freely available Flyspray from http://flyspray.rocks.cc/ -- it's tidy and relatively comphensive.

For personal stuff, I use todolist, from http://www.abstractspoon.com/.

- robin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭motrocco

I'd highly recommend Bugzilla.

It's free, runs straight out of the box (download) on Unix/Linux and with a few mods to get the Win32 working on it. It is web based so no need to install anything on clients and there are pre-made reports for all you need.

www.bugzilla.org

I have used it in 4 companies so far in 5 years and seen bastardisations of it in 2 more. So obviously it is configurable.

people who use it:- Novell, Netscape, AOL are among a few.

PERL, MYSQL need to get it up and running.

Regards,
    Mot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, I have been using Mantis for a few weeks now and I am more than happy with it. It is written in PHP which I am more comfortable using and configuring, than say Perl (Bugzilla), so I am going to go with Mantis.

The next step is convincing the rest of the developers here of the advantages of using e-mail and/or RSS to keep them updated about bug fixes/spec changes/new bugs etc. None of the developers here have heard of RSS or know what it is for :confused: :eek:

Advertisement