Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Forwarding on Digiweb DSL

Options
  • 21-04-2005 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hiya,
    I've just been connected to digiweb DSL (with ZyXEl 600 router), and I'm trying to set up port forwarding for bittorrent etc. I'm having a bit of difficulty setting up a static IP address.

I've been to port fowarding.com's static ip setup guide, but unfortunately its not of much use to me; as when I run ipconfig or winipcfg I get info which is nothing like that in the guide..

Where the picture in the guide show's DNS Servers, I have instead "DHCP Server", and "Primary WINS server" information. Additionally I have this extra line in the Windows IP configuration "NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No".

I'm new to this stuff, and any help would be appreciated. Any ideas?

By the way...forgot to mention..Yesterday at one point a couple of bittorrent links I'd clicked on and left hanging started to work, after an hour or so - this is without any port forwarding enabled or any special config in zone alarm or anything. Then after I shutdown the client and restarted, they stopped again..This is in Shareaza by the way. Very weird.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

A static IP is something that is assigned to your Zyxel router. You're own computer connects to it internally. The static IP is on the BizJet packages up, and has nothing to do with port forwarding at all really. The IP of your router therefore will be a dynamic one which Digiweb will give you on the Home package, or static on business package. So your router, no matter what, is the external internet IP.

Now, on the "inside" of your local network, the router assigns local IPs. USually the router will be e.g., 192.168.1.1 and the next computer will be 192.168.1.2 and so on. The router assigns the computer this IP by DHCP.

So, you need to tell your router to allow incoming TCP packets to go to a certain port on your own computer's IP. The option in the router's setup is maybe "Virtual Server" or something like that. In it, you will give it instructions to allow from any source IP for incoming TCP packets to be routed to your computer. Your computer is 192.168.1.2 remember, and you will give it a port of whatever 6689 or something.

You can see that a dynamic or static IP makes no difference at all. If it's dynamic, your router still has your computer on the internal LAN as 192.168.1.2.

Also, DNS servers have nothing to do with this. You can have a bazillion DNS servers listed if you want. Forget also about WINS and NetBIOS.

Summary:
    1. Your router has the IP that the internet cares about, not your computer.
    2. Your router looks at your computer as 192.168.1.2
    3. You need to tell your router which is on the internet that when it receives requests for incoming data on a certain port that it should not firewall it and ignore it as most routers do, but it should send all the data on that port to your desktop.
    4. Windows will not be aware of any of the details of the ports being forwarded and ifconfig will not reveal any changes when your router forwards data on certain ports.

I hope it's clearer what port forwarding is about now.

Advertisement