Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fans Player of the Season

• 21-04-2005 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

Bascially name the player of the season for whatever club you support, i know the seasons aint over but nearly is.

Liverpool: Jamie Carragher

Wasnt much of a contest really, Gerrard has been great, but has gone of the boil lately so that has ruled him out. Carra has given 110% for all the matches he has played, and hasnt made too many mistakes.

If alonso was played for the season i think he would of won it. Best buy liverpool have made for a long long time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Aston Villa: Nolberto Solano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Liverpool: Jerzey Dudek

HAHAHAH joke. Carra of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Man U Heinze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Leeds: Neil Sullivan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Arsenal - Henry, by a mile.

I was tempted to say Gilberto since it was only obvious how good a player he is when he was out of the team! Henry has kept us single-handedly in second-place though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shelbourne : Last season Owen Heary, so far this season Colin Hawkins (apart from the red card against Pats).

ManYoo : Has to be Heinze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Carra with Alonso mentioned in dispatches.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Man u - Heinze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Henry - couldn't ask for more in a player.

Disappointingly, there isn't anyone who i could place as a close second. Senderos and Fabregas are the only other gunners who've had really good seasons :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Liverpool: Carragher, no question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pats Fahey/Maguire the guy can pass/future legend

Man Utd Heinze , he justs wants the ball more.

Chelsea Cech/Duff he just catches the ball more/those goals in those 1-0s priceless.

Arsenal Henry Great footballing team but he makes them special.

Liverpool Alonso/Carragher amazing passer of the ball, a joy to watch. Damn iunjury robbed us of his specialness/ Just wants it more tbh.

West Brom Gera any of above please sign him!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Spurs - Robinson.
    He has had a great season, a gifted Goalkeeper. Glad he is the England number 1,too.

On that note,i read somewhere that he wants to end his career in Portugal....? But he said he wouldnt leave England til he is 35 or so. Hope he stays until then!!!!

P.S. Defoe wasnt far behind,and Ledley as well.....All been great players,lets hope 7th spot brings us UEFA cup football!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Newcastle: hmmm whos the best of a bad bunch.....Given(maybe , the massive amount of goals we conceade certainly hasn't much to do with him) , Boumsong (when playing has looked very good and unlike any other Newcastle player actually acts as if he's a defender) , Shearer(hasn't got that many in the league but we've need his goals this season...and every season)

and it goes to given , purely for making the least mistakes and being that keeper who just is impossible to beat for a couple of games this season .

oh dear lord if souness and some other wasters don't go we will be relegated next season :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Man United: 1) Heinze
    2) Rooney
    3) Keane
    4) Ferdinand
    5) Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Barcelona - Xavi
    Liverpool - Carragher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

well i dont' support anyone team so i'll just name a few of the top of my head.

Man u - Heinze - though i don't like the way he does dirty tackles sometimes.
    Arsenal - Henry - sometiems a bit arrogant though
    Liverpool - Alonso
    Chelsea - Terry
    Milan - Shevichenko
    Barca - Ronaldhino

I think though my favorite player over all is Duff - he is so much fun to watch esp when he plays for ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Petr Cech for Chelsea - outstanding all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Sheffield Wednesday: Steven MacLean(we wouldnt be out of Play offs if he was still in team)
    Best Loan of Season: Joey O'Brien(will take over from Keane for Ireland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liverpool: Carragher

Unsung hero: Biscan - he's filled in for gerrard in half the champs league games and look where we are! used to have no time for him at all till this seasons wonders.

Prodigal Son: Riise, return to form totally. this and biscans improvements along with basically everyone elses shows how much better rafa is then houllier. just needs a lil time..

Again Xabi would be way up there if not for injury..Can see everyones goal tally's rising dramatically next season with th chances he can create with some frankly astounding passing!

Also think Luis Garcia gets a lot more slateing then he deserves, yes he misses a lot of chances, but to be in the position to miss that many and still score 12 season goals so far isn't bad at all for an attacking midfielder. A little more composure in front of goal and we could have a midfielder on 20goals a season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Got to be Carragher, but both Finnan and Garcia would push him close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Carragher gets my vote,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Juventus - Zambrotta - best of an underperforming bunch.

Consolation prizes to Cannavaro and Camoranesi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Henry for carrying Arsenal this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Gattuso for Ac Milan- excellent all year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rossonero wrote:
    Gattuso for Ac Milan- excellent all year!

Yeah, they'd really wanna make sure he stays after those rumours about Man Yoo...he'd be the perfect replacement for Keane. Hope he stays with Milan anyway - great player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'll have to be a sheep and go with Heinze. The guy has been an absolute revelation this year. A fantastic player.
    Somebody mentioned that he makes dirty tackles, I wouldn't agree. I just think he's a tough, take no prisoners type of player. Although he does have a tendancy to keep the aul elbows a bit too high!!

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

BaZmO* wrote:
    I'll have to be a sheep and go with Heinze. The guy has been an absolute revelation this year. A fantastic player.
    Somebody mentioned that he makes dirty tackles, I wouldn't agree. I just think he's a tough, take no prisoners type of player. Although he does have a tendancy to keep the aul elbows a bit too high!!

B.

Agreed. Really good player. Typical Argentinian. Gets stuck in. The way to play.
    Does Robbie Savage have Argentinian grandparents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Rossonero wrote:
    Agreed. Really good player. Typical Argentinian. Gets stuck in. The way to play.
    Don't think so, but I was under the impression his great grandfather was a man by the name of Hitler, Adolf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Yep gotta Agree; Heinze , from his first game he looked like a player who cares about winning. Fergie still has some of the old magic in the transfer market!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Shels - Colin Hawkins, but we've played less than 10 games so far...

For Ireland, over the past season, would be Given imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Big Nelly wrote:
    Best Loan of Season: Joey O'Brien(will take over from Keane for Ireland)

What about Kenwyne Jones, 7 goals in 7 games for you, not bad for a centre back!

Southampton - Peter Crouch (best of a bad lot)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Everton: Tim Cahill
    1 million pounds purchase from div1 last year. Chipped in with 10 goals this season from midfield. He has been the heart of the everton team this year. Without a doubt player of the season for everton.

Unsung Hero: Lee Carsley.

Worked the socks off himself this season and has performed superbly all season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Middlesbrough: Queudrue

Honourable mentions to Zenden, Downing and Boateng.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Everton: Tim Cahill
    1 million pounds purchase from div1 last year. Chipped in with 10 goals this season from midfield. He has been the heart of the everton team this year. Without a doubt player of the season for everton.

Unsung Hero: Lee Carsley.

Worked the socks off himself this season and has performed superbly all season...

I know he didn't stick the whole season out, but surely Gravesen had the most impact on Everton this year? I'd agree with Cahill if you count him out though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Rossonero wrote:
    Typical Argentinian. Gets stuck in.

typical Argentinian and Robbie Savage type alright can put in strong challenges but when they're made on him he whinges , that said for a first season and one where he didn't have a summer break he has done very well .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Liverpool: Carragher (but would be Alonso if not injured in Chelsea match I feel).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I know he didn't stick the whole season out, but surely Gravesen had the most impact on Everton this year? I'd agree with Cahill if you count him out though.

He did until he left.... Grav and Cahill had a good partnership and I think they had around 5 goals each until that stage, but cahill is up to around 10 now.. so id give it to cahill ahead of gravesen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Man U - Heinze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Carragher, has to be, he has been incredible all season, must be disappointed that he has had some dodgy performances by the keepers he has been protecting. Pool wuld be pushing alot closer if it was not for stupid goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Chelsea - Makelele
    Milan - Shevchenko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

Definitely Owen Heary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Big Ears wrote:
    Newcastle: hmmm whos the best of a bad bunch.....Given(maybe , the massive amount of goals we conceade certainly hasn't much to do with him) , Boumsong (when playing has looked very good and unlike any other Newcastle player actually acts as if he's a defender) , Shearer(hasn't got that many in the league but we've need his goals this season...and every season)

and it goes to given , purely for making the least mistakes and being that keeper who just is impossible to beat for a couple of games this season .

oh dear lord if souness and some other wasters don't go we will be relegated next season :( .

Given it would have to be for me also.
    played some very important games while injured with his hip, has shown total loyalty to the club.

Souness has to go this summer. Too many excuses and not enough results.

I reckon if we are to do the job right about ten of our current squad should stay. the rest have to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Newcaslte need to get relegated imo. If they got relegated, then b uilt up again in youth team fashion with quality players, they will be able to get back to their top ability in a couple of years.
    They need to sell their entire team imo :)
    There's Given, Boumsong and Shearer who are good enough to be in a team that Newcaslte should be expected to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Liverpool - Jamie Carragher
    Celtic - John Hartson
    Sunderland - Stephen Elliott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

ziggy67 wrote:
    Can't go along with that, he was awful in the CL & for a couple of months after he signed his new contract, but at least he is hitting form again at the right time & lets hope he bangs in a couple against the huns!

well, saying he has scored 25 + goals this season... isnt bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Celtic have no player of the season. Bellamy would have got it but you don't get it for 3 months work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Barcelona -
    1) Ronaldinho
    2) Eto
    3) Xavi
    4) Deco
    5) Puyol

Milan(from what i have seen) -
    1) Gattuso
    2) Schevchenko
    3) Seedorf
    4) Kaka