Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol applications -Cork

Options
  • 21-04-2005 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello all,

I have 4 guns at present...

. AN over and under beretta
    .An old english side by side
    . a Sako in 6.5 x 55
    .a BRNO .22lr

Do you think I'd be pushing my luck with the super if I applied for a pistol cert?

I have a good safe, and have already had previous visits from the crime prevention officer.

Also I assume that distributors/gundealers still havent got import licenses for pistols, so I would have to go up north?

thanks

mikeys ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Longslide45

Dont see why the heck not :)
    if you have four already,they must think you are a good safe law abiding citizen.All you can do is but try.Dont just limit yourself to UK and NI, Europe has some good deals as well,and is abit cheaper with Euro :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mikeys

Longslide,

Do you have any info on the European options, and what is the most common pistol being licensed in terms of calibre - 9mm, 22lr, .40 ?

I assume it is still not possible to buy locally?

thanks

mikeys

Cant speak for all of Europe ,but I have dealt with Germany alot.
    You need to buy;
    Authorisation to posses here in Ireland, PROABLY the import cert from DOJ
    Your passport,and your EU firearms passport with the serial no of the gun already on it.Go over and collect the gun in person.It apprently cuts out alot of shipping paperwork and ASFIK the EU passport is good enough for the dealer to release it to you.Otherwise they have to do dealer to dealer and does involve Eu forms for export/import.Or was last time I did anything with it.The advantage to dealing with the Germans is they do speak English and will make damn sure that you will have the correct paperwork.
    Cant say what is the most common calibre applied for here ,but 9mm,45 and 22 seems to be mentioned alot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

quick question and not want to steal your thread
    but i always thought and my local gun dealer told me this, you cant get a pistol in ireland of any type ( barring air pistols ) ? yes i have seen the forms for FAC that include pistol but i just though that meant air pistol for targeting shooting... but mainly just using common sence why would want one? the law is very clear that you cant own a gun for self defence, cant go hunting? so just target practice with a 9mm automatic? if so cool! is hard to get a license i had to wait almost 6 months to get an air rifle that you could walk into a shop, buy and walk out in most other eu countries

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The policy of not issuing pistol licences was rescinded last summer, so the rules have changed rather a bit since. The local dealer was right up until that point.
    And no, you won't get a firearms licence for self-defence. I don't know about the hunting rules with relation to pistols, but I'd imagine they wouldn't be as useful as rifles by quite an amount. Read some of the threads that have been in here on the topic for the last few months, they cover the details fairly well.

• Advertisement

[ I don't know about the hunting rules with relation to pistols,

AFIK there arent any relating to using a handgun for hunting here in Ireland.
    Proably because it has never been done.Most of the rules on it are regarding bullet weight and calibre.So if you could convince the deer socities and Coiltie[?] that a 357 or larger is a useable caliber and you are VERY proficient with it.Should be no problem! :o .
    Actually,being a deer hunter INMHO should be good reason for a pistol licsence.You do need somtimes a short weapon for a humane kill on an injured beast.Does happen to the best of us somtimes.
    Trying to take out an injured stag at close range isnt an option with a rifle.
    I know it can be done with a knife as well,but you really have to know how and where.[Between the base of the skull and the first and second spinal bone.Cuts the spinal cord and affords instant death,for those intrested].But like I said,a tricky proposition.Much more humane,is a 357 deliverd at close range into the heart.The idea is to end the animals suffering as quickly as possible,which is your duty as a hunter anyway.Therefore you should have access to the tools suited to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Is my recollection correct that in some parts of Germany, hunters have to carry a pistol for finishing off injured animals?

Colour me confused - why can't you shoot the animal from a few yards range with the same rather high-power rifle you just took it down with?

The same reason you dont fire high-power rifles at the ground in front of your feet.

We ain't talking about no wussy target air-rifles here! :D

Edit to add: It's also very difficult / damn near impossible to aim a scoped rifle at very close range. The scope won't focus, and the trajectory will be wrong.

Hmmm. A reasonable point :D
    (Mind you, none of us wussy target air rifle shooters would miss in the first place :p )

• Advertisement

In reality it's not really about "missing". Animals don't react like paper or metal targets. The bullet can hit an animal exactly where you intended, but the animal won't always react "by the book".

Equally, hunting is a less controlled environment for shooting. The animal can move at the very last moment, or a gust of wind or a million+1 other things can happen. The resposible hunter tries for the best possible shot, but needs to be prepared if things don't work as planned.

Gardai have granted at least one firearms licence application for a slaughtering instrument to be used for exactly this purpose. Another board member knows a lot more about this than me, so I'll leave that to him to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

This could be just another "urban myth" but.....some guy applied for a pistol license for "dispatching deer".....was granted his license subject to converting the pistol to single shot and filing off the sight blade and rear sights.......ouch!

Do Glock manufacture a humane killer for deer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've dispatched a few 'fallen stock' (farm animals who through illness or misadventure have gone beyond any reasonable expectation of recovery) over the years, using both rifles and shotguns (.22LR, .22 Hornet, and 12 Gauge).
    As instructed and demonstrated to me by my vet, a properly placed shot to the brain with any of these firearms will drop the patient like a puppet with the strings cut.
    This is all fine and dandy with domesticated animals which are used to your presence and haven't recently been wounded by a misplaced high powered rifle bullet. You don't even try using the sights, you just quietly approach to point blank range and do your duty.

A wounded wild animal is a different proposition, particularly bigger stuff like deer. It's your duty and responsibility to dispatch the animal as quickly and humanely as possible, but you must take care for your own safety at the same time. It probably won't be possible to get close enough for an 'un-aimed point blank' shot with the rifle, so something with a decent punch that can be accurately aimed from a range of a few yards is what's needed. A suitable pistol of some sort fits the bill perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

civdef wrote:
    Gardai have granted at least one firearms licence application for a slaughtering instrument to be used for exactly this purpose. Another board member knows a lot more about this than me, so I'll leave that to him to explain.
    Not actually granted me a licence, a permit is all that is required and this is only necessary to allow you to purchase .32 ACP ammo. The actual "pistol" does not require a licence.

[
    QUOTE=civdef]Is my recollection correct that in some parts of Germany, hunters have to carry a pistol for finishing off injured animals?[/QUO
    AFIK there is nothing to say that you must carry a handgun with you everytime you go out stalking perse.This could vary of course in which federal province of Germany you are in. Some will,some wont. I havent seen a German hunter carry a handgun with him in a good long time[20plus years].I have heard that some ,who hunt wild boar with a dog pack do carry big calibre as it is a more suitable CQB impliment.Funnily most of them that I have met have a 357 and or a 9mm.[humane dispatcher and self defence gun??]
    Mostly in the late 40s to the60s the hunters did carry them as self defence weapons against poachers.As due to the meat shortages in post war Germany,game was a prized possesion.There was even a rule that hunters and foresters could shoot poachers on sight!![Apprently it still stands,but has fortuneatly never been used].You are allowed as a hunter to arrest and search anyone suss on your reserve who cant give a good explanation as to what they are up to.Although again,I haven't heard of this happening in years.

As well as that,if you have a hunting lic[the hardest lic to get] in Germany you are only allowed TWO handguns on your ticket,and as many long arms as you will want.So most are quite content with the two handguns.

Vinniew
    I suppose a Glock in 357 SIG would classify as a humane deer dispatcher :D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

I think I'd stick with my knife and carry a couple of extra Mars bars instead of a pistol.

Advertisement