Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prodigy, the pope & Ian Paisley

• 21-04-2005 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know an 'official' title of The Prodigy's Android which contains The Pope vs. Ian Paisley samples? No info. on the 'net, and all I have is it on tape from when I was a nipper.

Includes the sample "Young people of Ireland, I love you" and a few undesirable quotes from Mr. Paisley.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭radiospan

I've never heard it, but looking here:
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/Prodigy,+The

it looks like it's called "Android". It's mentioned many times on that page, although many of them are White label bootlegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Right... "Android" was the B side of the Prodigy's first LP "What Evil Lurks". Just listened to my copy of it and can't find any reference to Ian Paisley or the Pope? I'm presuming it's some kind of Acid House bootleg - good luck finding it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

jimi_t wrote:
    Right... "Android" was the B side of the Prodigy's first LP "What Evil Lurks". Just listened to my copy of it and can't find any reference to Ian Paisley or the Pope? I'm presuming it's some kind of Acid House bootleg - good luck finding it!

same here, it seems to be very rare, ive done an "extensive" search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Cheers guys but I'd already done quite a bit of looking myself. Funnily enough I thought it was fairly well known, if fairly old. I ended up with my first 'taped' copy of Experience containing this, presumably bootleg, and thought it was just their own work. I have Android (i.e. the instrumental) but it's just not the same!

Not the end of the world; my tape still works AFAIK, but if you havn't heard it it's gas.
    I won't expand on the other quotes as some people might take them as offensive, given the context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

Out of interest, did the version you had contain the vocal sample:
    "Young People of Ireland - I love you" followed by "I'll break your f**kin legs" ?

Just curious cos I remember that version ..... if yours is different, what was it?

• Advertisement

Bang on that's the one. Did alot more searching there via the Discogs external sites and found plenty of stuff but not even a sniff of that bootleg!

Where did you hear it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭GadgetFiend

i remember a version with the phrase "Do you use a condom? No- my wife cant stand the smell of burning rubber"

might be the same one? dunno who its by tho

Yup same song. When/where did you hear it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭GadgetFiend

i heard it being played in the background when i was at my induction into 1st year in UCD back in 1999. in the sports hall. dunno who was playing it, but it stuck in my memory, cos of the unsuitableness of it all

Ah. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's a bootleg that was played on Sunset 107 all the time. Somebody associated with the station probably made it.

I've sourced a poor quality MP3 of it a few years back - best I could find at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

quick seach on emule brings up a dozen copies, couple on imesh too.

Really? Not just Android the official Prodigy release?
    I can't access P2P here so I can't check.

Oh well, what to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 saharzie

I remember ringing up Sunset about 12/13 years ago asking them to play it and the bloke said only one DJ had it and he wasnt there..so seemed rare even back then.

saharzie wrote:
    I remember ringing up Sunset about 12/13 years ago asking them to play it and the bloke said only one DJ had it and he wasnt there..so seemed rare even back then.
    Your correct. I asked in Abbey Discs today and was reliably informed it was a Sunset-made bootleg and long gone.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

Bri wrote:
    Your correct. I asked in Abbey Discs today and was reliably informed it was a Sunset-made bootleg and long gone.

Thanks.

ah, the one on emule does seem to be an instrumental :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Have it on mp3 if anyone is interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

Where I would have heard it most was on some of the pirates back around 92-93, most probably Sunset too. Think I remember it being played in some of the nights that used be on in the building where the Morrison hotel is now. Happy days!

Thanks, got my hands on it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭motrocco

I got mine form one of the pirate radio stations. Remeber it well but mines gone now.

Shame. thought it was an orignal tune for years until someon set me straight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Bri wrote:
    Thanks, got my hands on it :D

You want to post it up? I don't think anyone will have any serious copyright problems - it's a 12yr old little heard bootleg of a b side :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bri wrote:
    Does anyone know an 'official' title of The Prodigy's Android which contains The Pope vs. Ian Paisley samples? No info. on the 'net, and all I have is it on tape from when I was a nipper.

Includes the sample "Young people of Ireland, I love you" and a few undesirable quotes from Mr. Paisley.

Thanks in advance.
    Its called "Android (The Pope vs. Ian Paisley Mix)", by Prodigy.
    The listing of it is in http://www.circleweb.ch/Walde/CdR-Inventar.pdf

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Hi lads,

Sorry for draggin up this thread but does anybody have this on mp3 they could email me

Many thanks
    TCP/IP

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

got it off forum there about 3 weeks back.. the link has expired but ill try get it again pm your email address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Already PM'd it.

thx for your help lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Anyone mind PMing me the link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I remember this from school aswell, anyone wanna pm me a link?

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Good man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

never heard this bootleg before..

cheers for bringing it to my attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

oh..and if anyones interested..
    this is the tape Liam Howlett gave to XL before getting signed
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YLUPTTAV

seriously old skool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I remember that one alright. I think I heard it around 92 / 93

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Has anyone an up to date link for this tune? Its been years since i`ve heard it :D
    I used to have it recorded off some dublin shortwave pirate station in the early 90`s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Id be interested in a copy aswell, only seen the post now..

TIA
    Claasman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭evoblade

can someone u/l this tune,i remember it from sunset a long way back,would be great to hear it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Here yis go lads. Enjoy

Linkage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Slunk wrote:
    Here yis go lads. Enjoy

Linkage

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭evoblade

Slunk wrote:
    Here yis go lads. Enjoy

Linkage
    fair play mate,brings back some great memorys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

personally i think it ruins a classic oldskools track.jmo tho:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Butress

Links are down any chance of re-upping or pming me please? Track brings back lots of memories of Sunset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

digging up the bones of this thread, would also like a link to this rarity if anyone has it still?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

i remember having this on a tape aswell, it must of been one of the first tapes i ever had.would love to hear it again if anyone has it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Jaysus, this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

I think i have it on tape, i know i did years ago & could be on one of many mixed bag tapes i still have, will give a few a lash in the car over the next while & see if i can find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Used to hate this to be honest. Android was a deadly tune in it's day but all those Paisley and Pope samples over it were a disgrace. Might have been funny to a 10 year old. That's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Might have been funny to a 10 year old.

Or a bunch of Ravers smoking a load of putty black in the bong stoned out of their bracket & horsing a few 2 litres of linden mid week to pass the time until the ASYLUM was on the cards again.......... pity you thought that as it really was funny back then in the right setting:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Any updated links?

I'm a massive Prodigy fan and have never heard this, even if it is crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Or a bunch of Ravers smoking a load of putty black in the bong stoned out of their bracket & horsing a few 2 litres of linden mid week to pass the time until the ASYLUM was on the cards again.......... pity you thought that as it really was funny back then in the right setting:D

I can well relate to the midweek smokin and drinkin (I was more of an Olde English man meself:)) and listenin to the tunes in the park waitin for the weekend to roll around. Just thought those samples ruined an otherwise brilliant track.

• Advertisement
Advertisement