Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Problems (yet again!)

• 21-04-2005 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I posted recently about some problems I was having with my wireless rig.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=239505&page=1&pp=20
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=243638

Basically I couldnt get my wireless to connect to the net. The problem was that the modem that esat gave me wasn't working through the LAN port. So esat sent me a new one which does work through the LAN port.

However, I am still having trouble. The problems that I am having are just so random its crazy. I am starting to think that a neighbours wi fi is interfering with mine. I cant really be sure. One thing I do know is that I am able to piggy back my neighbours connection (which is quite usefull for posting to boards :D)

To be honest, I dont want to be piggy backing but my connection fecks up so often that Im using it more and more. Not a good situation.

One difference that I have noticed is that when I am piggy backing the LAN icon in the toolbar is constantly lit up. Its not like that with my connection. One of the little pc's will be lit but the other wont be. I reckon that my wireless pci card is fine but my router is being a bit of a b*tch.

Its hard to explain the problem cos its basically loads of little problems bundled into one.

The connection between my pci card and the wireless router is fine. it does be jumping between say 38MBps and 54MBps. Its just that it can be very difficult to connect to the web.

I use skype and skype nearly always connects. I might be able to get google or gmail but anything else is hit or miss. I can often connect to the boards front page but then I would have difficulty browsing boards.

One site that I have been using as a guide is the bbc homepage. For some reason my setup has great difficulty with it. So if I can connect to that then I'm doing well!

It often happens that I can connect to the bbc homwpage and then when I click the link for the news I get a timeout. After that everything (with the exception of maybe gmail) will timeout.

I wish I could be more specific about the problem but thats exactly it, I cant be specific at all. Like I say, random problems! One second it works a little, next it doesnt work at all etc...

Any ideas would be great.
    Gobby.

PS: Im using DHCP accross the board. My wireless router is connected to the modem but not through the wan port. I have a pc hard wired to the wireless router and that can usually connect no problems.

PPS: Ive decided only to piggy back if I need to post bout my fecked up connection! :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Now heres the strange thing. I stopped piggy backing and said Id mess about with my own connection again. Its working amazingly well. Come to think of it, this happened last night too. I wonder is it that my neighbour has turned off his pc and now theres no interfering. Is that possible??

And if this is the case, would enableing WEP etc fix that cos at the mo I dont have any security activated.

Okay, Ive confirmed that my neighbour does not have his/her pc connected to their wireless router so this has to be whats causing trouble for my connection. I mean, right now my connection is fying along! Its crazy. Only an hour or two ago it was pretty much dead to the world (well, to my pc anyways).

Very, very strange! :confused:

Advertisement