Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Rail Plan / Metro Threads ...

• 21-04-2005 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

... are banned until Monday, unless then 10 year plan comes out before then.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Thank god! Getting sick of the rants myself! Why Monday however?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It was going to be a week, but I didn't want to be too harsh.

Come Monday we all be at each others throats again! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Fair enough. At that stage, can we have a "Metro Vs. DRP, Round 3" thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Victor wrote:
    It was going to be a week, but I didn't want to be too harsh.

It does seem to be going round in circles! But censorship is not the way to go, Victor, and I'm disappointed in you. So long as nobody's saying anything libellous or insulting, debate should not be closed off. There's a simple solution for anyone who doesn't like it: don't read the thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

Can we open a thread on whether we’d prefer to see DRP threads banned or Metro threads banned?

I think it's funny, the idea of banning a thread because you don't like the ideas contained in it. It's also funny that people seem to dislike metro and interconnector threads so much, yet they are the most heavily-viewed threads on the forum: 1,300 for the last thread and counting... Go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Funny that a post about no threads is turning into a thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Lorcan26

Metrobest wrote:
    I think it's funny, the idea of banning a thread because you don't like the ideas contained in it

tbh i dont think its so much they dont like what they hear its that people start getting so dramatic, personal and OTT about the whole thing, yourself and others included.

Metrobest wrote:
    I think it's funny, the idea of banning a thread because you don't like the ideas contained in it.
    Not banning, postponing.
    It's also funny that people seem to dislike metro and interconnector threads so much, yet they are the most heavily-viewed threads on the forum: 1,300 for the last thread and counting... Go figure.
    The problem is the persistant long-winded whinges that I do have to read as mod.

• Advertisement

What I propose is this:

On Monday, I/Metrobest creates a dedicated Metro Vs. DRP thread, Instead of semi-related threads becoming arguments, there is one thread for Metro Vs. DRP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Maybe the answer is to create a whole new forum, no, better than that, a whole new board for Metro V. DRP. That way we'll neverhave to look at it again, or even come across it accidentally. It could be called www.morenonsensicaldebateabouttrains.ie or www.herewegoagain.ie

Tony

DubTony wrote:
    Maybe the answer is to create a whole new forum, no, better than that, a whole new board for Metro V. DRP. That way we'll neverhave to look at it again, or even come across it accidentally. It could be called www.morenonsensicaldebateabouttrains.ie or www.herewegoagain.ie

:D:D

I take it you don't like reading the Metro Vs. DRP debates ...

I only started using boards.ie in the last few weeks. Has this been going on long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Metrobest wrote:
    I think it's funny, the idea of banning a thread because you don't like the ideas contained in it.
    Erm, assuming you're referring to ishmael whale's comment, I believe that's why he said it. Humour. I've heard of it myself but it's nice to see it employed. If it's Victor, it's temporary clearing of the quality cicular threads and I applaud him for it.
    SeanW wrote:
    I only started using boards.ie in the last few weeks. Has this been going on long?
    Since forever it seems. The people don't change and the arguments don't either.

And it's now Monday.

sceptre wrote:
    And it's now Monday.
    YAY :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

So who wants to go first ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I heard that the metro was a really good idea.

Discuss.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Sounds like the leaving cert again, do I get extra points for quotes ?

Metro is fundamentally a good idea but what is proposed by the RPA fails to match the requirements of Dublin and fails to meet the guidelines set down in the Platform for Change document

Do you want a metro built on the cheap to a low standard unable to cope with growth and expansion or do you want a thought out system that links up with all other public transport that has the flexibilty to grow and adapt to Dublin's needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Sounds like the leaving cert again, do I get extra points for quotes ?

Metro is fundamentally a good idea but what is proposed by the RPA fails to match the requirements of Dublin and fails to meet the guidelines set down in the Platform for Change document

Do you want a metro built on the cheap to a low standard unable to cope with growth and expansion or do you want a thought out system that links up with all other public transport that has the flexibilty to grow and adapt to Dublin's needs
    Sorry MarkoP11, I was joking.

I like the idea of a metro, but not that which is proposed. I like the DRP. I don't have a background in transport but it just seems to make a lot more sense.

MrP

SeanW wrote:
    What I propose is this:

On Monday, I/Metrobest creates a dedicated Metro Vs. DRP thread, Instead of semi-related threads becoming arguments, there is one thread for Metro Vs. DRP.

I don't want to create a new thread; I want to reply to something from the inexplicaably locked thread 'Speculation growing that metro/DRP will get green light' which has now been viewed 1,410 times. The statistics bear witness to the popularity of threads concerning metro and DRP on this forum. Just look at the other threads which nobody has even bothered responding to, yet this - the most bland of all threads - has had twenty responses. Go fiigure. Moderators would do well to know which side the forum's bread is buttered on. I would kindly ask that the ''Speculation growing that metro/DRP will get green light' be unlocked so that this highly popular thread can continue to sparkle!

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote:
    I heard that the metro was a really good idea.

Discuss.

MrP
    Classic! :D

Metrobest wrote:
    thread can continue to sparkle!

Don't you mean to go around in circles? :D

Look. If the moderators are unwilling to deal with the most interesting - and most popular - threads on this forum, then I am quite willing to set up a new forum on boards.ie called 'Infrastructure' in which these projects can be debated meaningfully. And I'm willing to bet that the whingers on this forum who complain that they don't want to look at rail plan threads are the very people who'll be flocking to view the forum, should I set it up!

I have to agree with metrobest. What's the point in starting yet another thread. Just open up the old one.

The. Forum. Waits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Is there a way the debate could be chaired? It's no use just hearing the same points made again and again. Could each side submit a list of all the reasons they think their plan is best and then these could be numbered in a sticky thread. You can then only use these arguments by number in future.

eg
    Well I think the metro is best because of 1,17,23 and 24.

You could discuss new arguments or counter arguments but you just cannot repeat the same old same old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It looks to me like there are a number of issues being considered here which are all getting mixed up.

1. Who should be in charge of building future new rail infrastructure?

2. In general terms, should we make an investment of billions of euros in underground rail infrastructure? What implications will doing that, or not doing that have for the development of the city and the country?

3. What are the relative merits of two schemes put forward (Metro and DRP) or other alignments?

Obviously, these issues are interrelated, but it might make for an easier discussion if they were separated somewhat. It might be useful to discuss things in the light of these issues, rather than mixing them all in together.

Another thing is that it would be useful to create some sort of FAQ or factsheet on the various proposals, to help other people (who may be more influential than some of the people here) to understand what the issues are.

Important thing is to be constructive and find a way of generating light rather than just heat.

Metrobest wrote:
    The. Forum. Waits.
    Thread re-opened.

Metrobest banned.

This thread locked.

No, I'm not re-opening that thread. Metrobest isn't banned. This thread is locked. Go start another if you want

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement