Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving house

• 22-04-2005 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

i currently am living in Portlaoise, co. Laois. I have a package from a wireless provider called www.premierbb.ie im on a 512kbps package at the moment. Currently i will be moving to Kildare where I am informed is out of range of there transmitter? My question is, as i do not have experience with adsl broadband, what is the goods and bads between adsl & wireless?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Cons of wired ADSL are you need a phone line, the exchange your on needs to be enabled, the phone line has to be of good enough quality and you have to be close enough to it. The cost of ADSL is seems to be about the same as the wireless products available, but when you take line rental into account it can more expensive.
    The upstream speed of 128kbps on all the ADSL products at the moment is also a major drag (pardon the pun) and can slow down your connection.

Pros for ADSL. It's probably the easiest of all BB services to get in terms of overall coverage. It's also reasonable reliable and fast, up to 2Mbps download.

For wireless, I don't really know as I've never used it. The synchronous side of it is appealing, 1Mbps up and down for IBB breeze would be nice. You do need to erect an antenna though so if your renting, or in a flat, this could be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

It's especially effective for when you are living in the countryside where adsl is not available. Adsl is only available to a certain extent outside a town, only if it is enabled for dsl.

Advertisement