Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flopping 4 Aces

Options
  • 22-04-2005 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I was just playing an STT on PPP and i managed to flop 4 aces. There was no raise before the flop. I checked to the river where i was first to act with the stone wall nuts, i made a bet around 8 x BB. None of the other three bit, so i ended up with a very small pot.
    Anything i could have done differently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭DeLaBass

I was just playing an STT on PPP and i managed to flop 4 aces. There was no raise before the flop. I checked to the river where i was first to act with the stone wall nuts, i made a bet around 8 x BB. None of the other three bit, so i ended up with a very small pot.
    Anything i could have done differently?

You could have bet smaller to intice a bigger bet but basically I wouldn't worry about it, it probably isn't going to happen to you again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

When flopping quads you will normally only get paid if someone has a pair and then onlly if you check and let them bet at it. It happened to me in the Boards tourney on Wednesday, I had 8 4 and flop came 444 ! I checked and someone bet, I called, turn came they bet again, I called. I bet the river and was called. Lovely when it happens! Surely horrible for Lenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I once flopped AAK holding AA. Poor bugger betting into me had pocket kings :D Cash game too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭DeLaBass

MadsL wrote:
    I once flopped AAK holding AA. Poor bugger betting into me had pocket kings :D Cash game too! :)

ouch :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TimFoil

in early position i'll put a wee raise in on the flop if there are two or more players, then up it a little on the turn & river - your best chance of inticing a bet or bluff - most players never bet out with trips on the flop never mind quads. checking it down & then betting the river rarely pays off well, id always try and get action straight off, they dont come around too often

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Shortstack wrote:
    When flopping quads you will normally only get paid if someone has a pair and then onlly if you check and let them bet at it. It happened to me in the Boards tourney on Wednesday, I had 8 4 and flop came 444 ! I checked and someone bet, I called, turn came they bet again, I called. I bet the river and was called. Lovely when it happens! Surely horrible for Lenny!

Shortstack gave a good example of how to play flopped quads, and I gave a good example of making bad calls on the end! I though it was a brilliant flop for me (I had 99 on the button); maybe it was stupid of me but I discounted the fact that someone hit an 8000/1 flop! But when Mike called my flop and turn bets, I knew I was in deep, deep d'oh. My call on the end was very, very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

TimFoil wrote:
    in early position i'll put a wee raise in on the flop if there are two or more players, then up it a little on the turn & river - your best chance of inticing a bet or bluff - most players never bet out with trips on the flop never mind quads. checking it down & then betting the river rarely pays off well, id always try and get action straight off, they dont come around too often

This is exactly right. First of all some hands are destined to be small pots, its hard to get money from people if they flop nothing; and some hands are destined to be large pots, pretty much how ever you play it. The trick with quads (and other monsters) is to not let your opponents off lightly when they have a hand. Put money in on every street so that the pot is massive by the river. Usually if you lead out at quads every player at the table willl assume that whatever you have, you dont have quads.

This is exactly right. First of all some hands are destined to be small pots, its hard to get money from people if they flop nothing; and some hands are destined to be large pots, pretty much how ever you play it. The trick with quads (and other monsters) is to not let your opponents off lightly when they have a hand. Put money in on every street so that the pot is massive by the river. Usually if you lead out at quads every player at the table willl assume that whatever you have, you dont have quads.

a fine example:
    "2nd hand of a stt, I have AA and limp utg. I limp sometimes and raise sometimes depending on how I feel. The button raises to 120, the BB calls and I make it 300. They both call. The flop is 6 6 A. Checked to me and I bet 400. The BB calls. The turn is a blank and he checks. Here is the important street, I want to bet enough to that he is committed on the river. I bet 600 or so. He calls. The river is a 6 and he checks. Now a better player might of paused here and thought, but I assumed he was calling me down with an ace and there is no way hes folding now the board reads 6 6 6 A. So I go all in and he calls with 56s."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

TimFoil wrote:
    a fine example:
    "2nd hand of a stt, I have AA and limp utg. I limp sometimes and raise sometimes depending on how I feel. The button raises to 120, the BB calls and I make it 300. They both call. The flop is 6 6 A. Checked to me and I bet 400. The BB calls. The turn is a blank and he checks. Here is the important street, I want to bet enough to that he is committed on the river. I bet 600 or so. He calls. The river is a 6 and he checks. Now a better player might of paused here and thought, but I assumed he was calling me down with an ace and there is no way hes folding now the board reads 6 6 6 A. So I go all in and he calls with 56s."

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

At least they were suited! ;)

• Advertisement

What really pisses me off about that hand is that he thought he was slowplaying me

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

What really pisses me off about that hand is that he thought he was slowplaying me

should you have posted that as TimFoil :rolleyes:

Hand id : 3035100-2
    Board cards : 7h 9d 9c 6h 8s

Main pot : 4,240
    assersen ....... Tc Ah
    hectorjelly ....... 9s 9h

hectorjelly wins 4,240 with Four of a kind: 9s

He min raised from EP, this is 1st hand of $25 stt. Nearly the whole table called. He bet the flop, around 300. I flat called to try and tempt some others into the pot, no other callers. He then bet 200 on the turn. This usually means they have A or K hi, so I made it 500, the largest amount I thought he would call with 2 overcards. On the river he check raised me all in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I got berated for betting flopped quads in omaha in a Fitz cash game.
    I had TT K4s in the BB.
    Flop is ATT, I check the flop, the turn is a K, for a board of A T T K, no suits.
    I bet the pot €9, thinking "I may as well try to get some money in the middle, if anyone has anything at all I'll get action."
    Everyone folds. I show the quad tens and get mild abuse for not checking "to let people catch up".

lafortezza wrote:
    I got berated for betting flopped quads in omaha in a Fitz cash game.
    I had TT K4s in the BB.
    Flop is ATT, I check the flop, the turn is a K, for a board of A T T K, no suits.
    I bet the pot €9, thinking "I may as well try to get some money in the middle, if anyone has anything at all I'll get action."
    Everyone folds. I show the quad tens and get mild abuse for not checking "to let people catch up".

With no offence to anyone, that is retarded advice.

With no offence to anyone, that is retarded advice.

i have to disagree. 4 tens on the flop in omaha - i check it down till there's action ahead or behind. unlike HE a bet on the flop says trips here and poelple dont like drawing to a flush or st8 when you can improve to a house. better to let someone can make that straight, flush or even house by the river if left to their own devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Sometimes I would bet out other times I would hope for someone to fill the nut house on the turn or river.

TimFoil wrote:
    i have to disagree.

Its a €7 pot, not betting the pot on the turn means that if someone makes their hand on the river, bets and is raised and calls, the max the pot can be is €63. However if you bet €7 on the turn and its called the max the pot can be on the river under the same sequence of events is €186.

You have a huge hand, so you need to try and play a huge pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

TimFoil wrote:
    i have to disagree. 4 tens on the flop in omaha - i check it down till there's action ahead or behind. unlike HE a bet on the flop says trips here and poelple dont like drawing to a flush or st8 when you can improve to a house. better to let someone can make that straight, flush or even house by the river if left to their own devices.
    On the turn the board is ATTK, no flush draw. If I'm not going to get any action on a board like that for €9 on a loose Fitz cash table then nobody had any royalty cards at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

lafortezza wrote:
    I show the quad tens and get mild abuse for not checking "to let people catch up".

Last guy that did that in the World Series walked into a straight flush. :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement