Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no alt f4, alt tab etc.

Options
  • 22-04-2005 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

in java is there anyway to stop the user using alt f4, alt tab etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Pardon my wariness but...
    ...why do you want to do this?

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

because I want it to be a screen lock, not much of a screen lock if you can just press a.t f4, clt alt del etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

In java, I hope not.

In windows you have
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/09/CQA/default.aspx

Though have you looked at
    http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/J2SE/Desktop/saverbeans.html

for cross platform screensavers that tie into the native OS to provide this functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

zap wrote:
    because I want it to be a screen lock, not much of a screen lock if you can just press a.t f4, clt alt del etc etc.

That functionality - as far as I know - is impossible to obtain in windows.

I might be wrong, but here's how I understand it...

Ctrl-Alt-Delete is interrupted by the security subsystem and cannot be blocked.

To allow otherwise would enable the most trivial of trojan-horse attacks:

- Simulate a locked machine,
    - trap the ctrl-alt-delete when the user hits it,
    - pop up a trojan "unlock this workstation" dialog.
    - Ba-da-boom.

Hopefully thats not what you wanted to implement ;)

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

His posts in an earlier thread mentioned that he was writing a java screensaver, and no-one pointed him to the sun sdk.

And you're unable supposedly to trap the ctrl-alt-del, but you can throw it away or just replace taskmgr, which would probably be the approach taken by a virus writer, and probably not in Java.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Simply write a JNI thing to cause a hard lock as soon as the app starts. No more inconvenient response to CTRL-ALT-DEL, or any other keystroke for that matter ;)

Seriously, tho, it isn't possible in Windows, for good reasons, and isn't particularly desirable; Windows already has a perfectly good screen lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

rsynnott wrote:
    Seriously, tho, it isn't possible in Windows, for good reasons, and isn't particularly desirable; Windows already has a perfectly good screen lock.

not when its switched off

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

zap wrote:
    not when its switched off

If its switched off, then its not your job to be circumventing policies implemented by the administrators of the machine in question.

jc

Advertisement