Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Galway

Options
  • 22-04-2005 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I've been offered a job in Galway for the coming year. Considerig taking it, whats Galway like? Is it expensive? Would 18k a year be enough to get by on comfortably ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

its damn nice and you could get by on 18 i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Well what are rent prices like? I'm a student, its part of my course. I don't need to live the good life, just a decent one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

you can live on 10K a year if you're a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

rent varies from 50 to 70 a week dependin on where you get a place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If you get a cheap enough house, 18K should be easy enough to live on. I'm paying 57 quid a week rent (admittedly, the house isn't particularly stunning, but it's dry, warm and comfy), earning about 11-12K, and living quite comfortably myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

It really depends where you want a place, obviously city center is very expensive, the outskirts however is cheaper, (by outskirts I mean about a mile and a half from the City centre.)

If you're gonna live as a student in Galway, one rule: You better like Pot noodles, you'll be eating ALOT of them. :p

Won't be a student :) Might accept a offer for work experience there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

Compared with dublin,its a bit cheaper!! i live in the middle of the city centre and pay 90 a week rent for a double room. night-life prices wouldnt be too different-its ten,maybe 13 euro to get into a club on a saturday. fun town to live in though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

wow 18,000! I know I could live on that, at the moment I'm paying 60 euro a week, I'm making 100 euros a week at work. I can live somewhat decently...but I had a little money built up before summer but only about 600. Just means never going out and whenever I get a chance I go home to mammy and daddy for free food.

If you're gonna live as a student in Galway, one rule: You better like Pot noodles, you'll be eating ALOT of them. :p
    My Bog™ no! Pot Noodles are luxurious, Koka 5-pack is yer man, and pretty much all the tastey tinned and freeze-dried crap from Aldi/Lidl....and those 100% free Maryland cookies.
    You soon learn to buy biscuits on a grammes-of-sugary-goodness-per-cent basis if you don't want to end up homeless and destitute while your former housemates worry about loosing that stone they put on eating your biccies.

Bastards.

• Advertisement

fun bus wrote:
    Compared with dublin,its a bit cheaper!! i live in the middle of the city centre and pay 90 a week rent for a double room. night-life prices wouldnt be too different-its ten,maybe 13 euro to get into a club on a saturday. fun town to live in though!

Dude, you are getting raped. Sideways.

By a Goat of The Bould Fellah with a Masters in Economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

SyxPak wrote:
    My Bog™ no! Pot Noodles are luxurious, Koka 5-pack is yer man, and pretty much all the tastey tinned and freeze-dried crap from Aldi/Lidl....and those 100% free Maryland cookies.
    You soon learn to buy biscuits on a grammes-of-sugary-goodness-per-cent basis if you don't want to end up homeless and destitute while your former housemates worry about loosing that stone they put on eating your biccies.

Bastards.

I'm not bad mouthing Pot noodles... in fact I frickin' love them.. only thing keeping some of my friends alive though.. they're Pot Noodle junkies! Always scrounging together money for the next fix! "At last! €1.50, to Centra!!!!" :D

You're right about the Koka noodles... I was polishing off over five packs in the space of two days last year. Damn good! Especially the variety packs: Chicken, Beef, Curry , Mushroom (Ugh) and Tomato (Double Ugh!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

hmmm never heard of tesco's ... 17 ?? cents a pack noodles .. I think ... ok I could be way off on that .. :) ... still ... they do the trick for a snack and I usually have a reserve supply of them at work :D ...

18k is more than enough to get by on comfortably .. and save up a bit at the same time ...

all depends on your drinking habits / social habits .. as I see those as the major factors in living in galway ... if you want the night life or not ...

... lots of choice for accommodation .. don't just pick the first thing that comes along ... you'll regret it later... get something central enough unless you've a car ...

there are a lot of places up for grabs in galway at the moment and prices are dropping ... slowly... but .. surely...

Cheers. Anyone know any decent sites to search other then daft? I'm currently in the UK (Where I study) so can't just pop in to town and check out some agents :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

SyxPak wrote:
    you can live on 10K a year if you're a student.

much much much less if your a student like me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

SyxPak wrote:
    Dude, you are getting raped. Sideways.

By a Goat of The Bould Fellah with a Masters in Economics.
    i'm paying €400 pcm for my double room :o

€18,000 should be more than enough to live on

Advertisement