Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a router to an ISDN line?

Options
  • 22-04-2005 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Can a standard router be connected to an ISDN line? Unfortunately, broadband is not available in the area so the only option is ISDN. However, I want to be able to connected a few machines to the internet via this line. I'm just wondering if this is possible?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Standard Router, not really.

A serial external ISDN modem that can attach to a router that provides a serial port backup? Presumably your existing equipment doesn't provide this, Netgear have a highend wireless router with this capability, but it's not the best. SMC barricade used to have this and was fairly reliable.

Much better would be a dedicated unit.
    You can find a router like the old 3com officeconnect ISDN LAN modem (3c891), though you'll probably find more available models from dlink etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

yup, you need an isdn router, which i happen to have for sale if your interested see...
    Link
    Of course i am negotiable on the price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

You need an ISDN router or if your router has either usb port or serial port then for backup then get a compliant ISDN modem. I have used an MRI (same as Darytek) ISDN router for 5 years excellent unit, simple setup. If gibo_ie deal doesn't work out see if you can get one of these babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

yup, mine has a 4 port hub built in and two phone sockets

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Cool. Thanks for the replies lads. I'll see about getting a router. gibo_ie, I'll let you know if I'm getting one.

What do people think about this one? (Last one on the page)

http://www.marxcomputers.ie/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=switch&cart_id=

Thanks,

DC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

That's a DSL router which works over ISDN (Annex B DSL). Not what you're looking for.

Advertisement