Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid in for Ruud again

• 22-04-2005 10:06am
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Real Madrid are reportedly ready to offer Michael Owen as bait in a bid to land Ruud van Nistelrooy.

According to The Sun, sources in Spain say Real are ready to offer the former Liverpool hitman in a bid to prise Dutch ace van Nistelrooy away from Manchester United.

The Spanish giants are confirmed long-term admirers of van Nistelrooy, who has struggled to regain top form since returning from an Achilles injury in February.

And now they're poised to test the waters again, this time with Owen offered as part of the deal.

Van Nistelrooy's agent Rodger Linse has reportedly quoted a fee of £12million for the striker, who joined United for around £19million from PSV in the summer of 2001.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2005182144,00.html
    http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/05/04/22/manual_081742.html

On a slightly different note, fergie has spoken about his desire to stay on at Utd and also who he thinks should replace him, when he does decide to go.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4471747.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,285 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

silly rumour,

theres not a snowballs chance in hell owen would go to united, and an even slimmer chance van nistelrooy would accept £12m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Same bulls**t as last week when they had an "interview" with Ruud and he said that he wanted to leave......The Sun is a fookin joke....wouldnt believe a word they write....also there is no way I can see Owen going to Utd.....he will go back to Liverpool if he comes back to UK.....also I cant see Man Utd wanting him.....wouldnt fit into the system they play!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thats total toss i'd say. Anyway, Liverpool have a first refusal clause if Owen is to leave Real, assume this would mean they'd have to say they don't want him for him to go to Utd. Whatever chance there is of this happening if he was to join an italian club or something, no chance they'd let Utd take him i'd say..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I was more surprised to see Ferguson recommending Keane as the new Man U manager. There's no doubting his commitment or desire to win but he's completely unproven and has no experience whatsoever in managment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Does anyone else think Ruud is worth like 20 million +
    or am I just biased cause I'm a united fan.

• Advertisement

I would say Utd would get close to 30 million for him....his record in Europe is unbeatable!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Once again
    According to The Sun

When are people going to stop posting crap from that paper

yop wrote:
    Once again

When are people going to stop posting crap from that paper

Newbies......they will never learn!! next there will be quotes from the Mirror!! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Newbies......they will never learn!! next there will be quotes from the Mirror!!

Ya stupid quotes, like "Liverpool to win Champions League" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

ruud seems to be a loyal player, however given one more bad season(trophy wise) i think he may want to find a move elsewhere. for the moment i think he is a committed man utd player who is worth way more than 12 million.

one of these days im going to believe the sun!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Big Nelly wrote:
    Newbies......they will never learn!! next there will be quotes from the Mirror!! :D

So what you need to have over 1000 posts before you are nolonger considered a newbie.

And for the record Dec 2001 I joined and you were when? Oct 2003 and I'm a newbie, Yeah whatever you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Leonard wrote:
    So what you need to have over 1000 posts before you are nolonger considered a newbie.

And for the record Dec 2001 I joined and you were when? Oct 2003 and I'm a newbie, Yeah whatever you say

get back in your box ;) lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Yeah the Sun journos are so hard working, as seen here by Mediawatch on Football365. An entire article almost word for word from the Newcastle Chronicle and tagged "exclusive" http://www.football365.com/features/mediawatch/story_150120.shtml
    IT really shouldn't be on the same shelf as newspapers, move it to the comic section I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Keano_sli wrote:
    Yeah the Sun journos are so hard working, as seen here by Mediawatch on Football365. An entire article almost word for word from the Newcastle Chronicle and tagged "exclusive" http://www.football365.com/features/mediawatch/story_150120.shtml
    IT really shouldn't be on the same shelf as newspapers, move it to the comic section I say!

heh, yeah they really are a joke. at work bout 2 years ago there was always a "sun" left in the canteen, at first i was shocked at some of the revelations i'd find but after about 10mins of the first read the sun informed me that gerrard was 26 and was a striker apparantly.. that was the last time i read it for football news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

There's truth to the story but that rag has got it arse ways. In the past week he has been offered to four Spanish clubs by his agent (apparently with the approval of the Utd management) - Real Madrid, Barcelona, Athletico Madrid and Valencia.

Real Madrid : straight swap for Owen.
    Athletico Madrid : part exchange deal for Torres.
    Barcelona : offered for €17M.
    Valencia : exchange for Vicente.

what of Liverpools first option on Owen - and while you're here any other gossip for us? PLEASE!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

well RVN is a top class player. I wouldnt be surprised if he did go to Reál. Things at United arent as good as they once were ;)

As for Fergie, I think he is pushing things a bit too much. He is only a manager and Man Utd have been in decline since they have won the Champions League. He has been living off it ever since. I personally dont think RMK is the best manager for United. He hasnt ever managed before. He should take a small club first.;)

uberwolf wrote:
    what of Liverpools first option on Owen - and while you're here any other gossip for us? PLEASE!?!
    Benitez isn't interested in Owen, he'd like a 20 goals a season striker but not at the expense of the team. Owen is going to get alot more first team football with Madrid between now and the end of the season. Luxemburgo has been told to "freeze Figo out but do it gently". Perez wants to make sure that Figo leaves the club in the summer - destination Liverpool/Porto.

There's a bit of movement behind the scenes with Gerrard - he has said that he's not sure he wants to leave the club now. There will be a contract offered to him in the summer if he sticks by the decision to stay but one of the conditions of the contract that Rafa wants is that Gerrard gives his agent the bullet.

Baros could be off to Italy - Juventus have expressed an interest and Trezeguet has been offered to Barcelona and Valencia. No fees have been mentioned but Juve want Trezeguet to agree a deal with a new club before a price is negotiated. Barca are only keen to sign one striker at the moment and Deportivo's Albert Luque is the man in question.

cann't see Figo at pool, strange choice I'd a thought for a team that being built? heard his mentatlity was questionable - not a muskeeter kinda fella...

Baros for Trezequet anyone? I'd take that!! seems a strange one though.
    Trez has been profilic for Juve in the past, though outside the team right now.
    I'd a feeling re: Gerrard though he needs to make his mind up soon and allow Benetiz plan properly cos obviously that would dictate what happens in the summer significantly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

This just in - "Fergie: I Never Said Them Things"

http://www.football365.com/news/story_150351.shtml

Apparently he didn't even speak to the Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Bannor wrote:
    There's truth to the story but that rag has got it arse ways. In the past week he has been offered to four Spanish clubs by his agent (apparently with the approval of the Utd management) - Real Madrid, Barcelona, Athletico Madrid and Valencia.

Ah Cr@p ... I hate when Bannor mentions Man Utd & the sale of a player, 'cause he's usually right!!

If it does happen, what in Gods name are the board doing selling him for less than 25m

cann't understand why they'd sell him at all TBH. Phenomenal record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Maybe the inside scoop on his latest injury isn't good?

To be honest I really would not be suprised if he was off, the United needs funds to strenghten the defence, for a midfielder and keeper. The only way is to 1 Let Glazier buy and supposidly invest 20m 2. Sell RVN, get in 20 million, sell Bellion, Saha?

He then has maybe 25 million to spend, I can see it happening. The way he looks at it that he has Rooney, Smith, Ole?, Rossi then the option of Scholes and Giggs.
    Then there is a strong enough midfield with Keane, Ronaldo, Fortune, Millar, Kleb, Flethcher, Richardson, O'Shea, then if he brings in a creative midfielder.
    The Ferdinand, the 2 nevilles, Heinze, McShane, Silvestre, Spector.
    Then 2 keeper, that is a squad of 23 players.
    Bring in 2 or 3 players that should be a competitive squad, enough to win a league or CL is debateable.

Time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't believe Ruud will be sold. Why sell one of Europes Top strikers to your rivals . There are rumours that he is less than happy at the moment but hopefully these problems will be sorted and he will stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=271678&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Fergie+blasts+van+swap+talk&channel=Football_Home

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has angrily rejected reports linking Ruud van Nistelrooy with a move to Real Madrid in a swap for Michael Owen.

Reports in Spain and England have claimed that United had approached Real about a possible swap deal involving van Nistelrooy and Owen.

Ferguson has slammed the suggestions and insists they would not be looking to try and sell van Nistelrooy.

"The unfortunate part about this job is that you have to deny or refute something every week because we are big news," said Ferguson.

"The idea that we would tout the best forward in Europe around is such rubbish it's hardly worth commenting on.

"The truth is we are not touting Ruud, we have not been touting Ruud and there is no chance of us touting him in the future."

Ferguson also moved to clear up reports suggesting that he wants Roy Keane to succeed him at Old Trafford.

The wily Scot has one more year to run on his current contract and he has always admitted he can see Keane managing the club one day.

However, Ferguson insists he will not make the decision on who replaces him when he finally quits Old Trafford.

"It's nonsense. I wouldn't presume to have the authority to make these decisions," added Ferguson.

"What I said - as I have always said - is that Roy Keane has got the potential to be a manager if that is what he wanted to be.

"He is taking his badges and it all seems quite straightforward.

"But as usual everything has been spun out of all proportion. These were comments made eight weeks ago.

"He is our captain and he plays - that is his job."

See I told you so! ;)

uberwolf wrote:
    get back in your box ;) lol.

Who was asking you? sad git :) lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

yop wrote:
    McShane

United let him go a while back.

• Advertisement

Draupnir wrote:
    United let him go a while back.

You Sure?

Reserves v. Wolves at Old Trafford 18-4-2005
    Heaton
    Picken---McShane-Pique-Eckersly
    Bellion---Miller---Jones---Martin
    Heath-Rossi

i was hearing good things about mcshane, not sure what game it was but he was called up to the seniors for it. hope he does well.

I actually thought McShane was gone but he played on Monday nite!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

i was hearing good things about mcshane, not sure what game it was but he was called up to the seniors for it. hope he does well.
    He played in a few games with the first team on the pre-season tour to America. Partnered Roy Keane in central defence against Bayern:
    http://www.championsworld.com/press_box/game_recaps_detail.asp?mrID=18

The only deal there that I think would be beneficial would be Athletico Madrid and Torres. But I don't think that Ruud would want to go to there.
    That said I Could understand Ruud if he wanted to leave. He is imo the best striker in the world and I'd like him to win the CL. Obviously I'd rather do it with United, but if he wants to move on I think he deserves it.
    Also a friend of mine wants him sold because he has said a load of times that he wants to retire at his peak, which is gona be 30/31
    That's only two more years of van the man, so in the long term it might be an idea.
    But only, only for Torres :)
    Vincente + cash might be nice too, but Ruud wouldn't go to either of those teams.

If he went for enough cash to replace scholes/keano and a winger, with Rossi alledgedly amazing, it might be possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

'He is imo the best striker in the world and I'd like him to win the CL. '

You rate him ahead of Shevshenko ? .

• Advertisement

I don't see Schevchenko as a striker, I see him as a forward if you know what I mean. Henry and Ruud are totally different players for example, I think Schev is in the Henry class rather than the Ruud class.
    He's the best poacher imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I agree Schev is in the Henry category and not the Ruud one.

I think it only makes sense to sell Ruud. I love him as a player but we need money to buy a left winger, a defender and a central midfielder ASAP. Money is already aside for a new goalkeeper but still.

However I was thinking more likely 25mill rather than a poxy 17 Million!

eirebhoy wrote:
    He played in a few games with the first team on the pre-season tour to America. Partnered Roy Keane in central defence against Bayern:
    http://www.championsworld.com/press_box/game_recaps_detail.asp?mrID=18

i was at the game against ac milan, dont think he played that day, but jonathon spector played and looked good, also chris eagles cam on and looked the part.

neither have really come through this year. eagles had a few games and looked very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't see Milan much but Shevchenko is a lot more like Ruud than Henry imo. I stand corrected as I don't see him much but he played against Celtic twice this season and looks to me like an out and out striker.

maybe....but he can also pop them in from 20/30 yards out!

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    The only deal there that I think would be beneficial would be Athletico Madrid and Torres. But I don't think that Ruud would want to go to there.
    The Athletico transfer won't happen - they turned down an offer of €60M from Chelsea, so they're not likely to accept an offer of RVN plus pocket change. They've also made a player exchange offer for Deportivo's Luque - the offer is any three players from Athletico's first team squad excluding Torres.

Of the proposed offers the Vicente offer is the most likely, but there has been some interest from Liverpool in the player so that could scupper any deal.

Perez wants to keep Owen now and it would be one of Raul and Ronaldo that would have to make way. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Real offered a straight swap of Raul for RVN.

I think the Barca offer was just to get Real interested, his agent has met with club officials in the past but things never progressed, where as with Madrid the player agreed contract terms some time ago.

What will Athletico take to release Torres? Its nuts.
    Ruud for Raul is a **** deal
    Ruud for Vincente is a nice deal, but why would Ruud be willing ot play Valencia? Especially when they won't be in the CL next year?

uberwolf wrote:
    cann't see Figo at pool, strange choice I'd a thought for a team that being built? heard his mentatlity was questionable - not a muskeeter kinda fella...

Baros for Trezequet anyone? I'd take that!! seems a strange one though.
    Trez has been profilic for Juve in the past, though outside the team right now.
    I'd a feeling re: Gerrard though he needs to make his mind up soon and allow Benetiz plan properly cos obviously that would dictate what happens in the summer significantly!
    Benitez is going about the summer transfers without taking Gerrard in to account - if he goes he wil be replaced.

I've been told that there are three players as good as signed for the summer so far. Andy Johnson of Palace being the first - fee will be determined in the summer. The other two players are in Spain but they're not necessarily Spanish. I don't know who they are yet and I'm not likely to hear until the deals are sealed but I've been told the transfer fees are €13M and €15M. My guess is that the €15M player is Daniel Alves from Sevilla - Liverpool had a bid of €12M in for him around Christmas but were told €15M would be required to secure the player.

PHB wrote:
    What will Athletico take to release Torres? Its nuts.
    They told Chelsea they would only consider an offer in excess of €100M and that the buy out clause on his contract is €150M if they are really interested.

Cricky, surely if he submits a request he will be allowed leave, since his contract will eventually run out?

I honastly think that Liverpool will buy Pablo Aimar to replace Gerrard if he leaves, and considering AImar is better, that'd be a real funny transfer :)

PHB wrote:
    I honastly think that Liverpool will buy Pablo Aimar to replace Gerrard if he leaves, and considering AImar is better, that'd be a real funny transfer :)

I have watch AImar a good number of times this season, and to be honest he is very hot and cold. To me, he is a big game player and when it comes to the nitty grittey ones he does not want to know. I'm sure liverpool have enought of players like that eg... Garcia and Gerrard(although he will be gone in the summer)

Garcia is no way near as good as Aimar!

Aimar played consistantly good under Benetiz

cheesedude wrote:
    Garcia is no way near as good as Aimar!

Your spot on there. I only compared him to Aimar as been an under preformer in the not so big games.

for all those interested there is a large piece in the star on sunday today about mcshane, again rating him very highly. similar stories as to what we heard about o'shea when he was breaking in.

having read this thread im shocked at the thought of ruud leaving. i personally cant believe utd would let him go, but some of ye guys have made some interesting points and it seems so weird that we are talking like this.

i personally hope he doesnt leave as i regard him as one of the best goalscorers in europe. his european record is phenominal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement