Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic gearbox on a Mitsubishi Colt/Mirage

Options
  • 22-04-2005 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just got my new (well 99 but like new! :)) Mitsubishi Colt/Mirage (import) yesterday and seeing as I'm new to this whole driving thing (like brand new.. lessons booked!), just have a question

The Automatic gearbox has the usual P, D, N, 1, 2, 3 but also has an L option

Any ideas what thats for?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

L is for LEARNER kaiser mate! haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Low. It will stay in 1st or 2nd gear and won't change up to third. It's for driving in heavy traffic with lots of stops and starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

alias no.9 wrote:
    Low. It will stay in 1st or 2nd gear and won't change up to third. It's for driving in heavy traffic with lots of stops and starts.

it all depends where the option is.

L=low only if auto box configuration is similar to e.g.
    L,1,2,N,R ,P
    L,D1,D2,N,R,P
    l1,l2,d3,d4,N,R,P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers lads

as for layout its (from bottom to top)

L, 2, 3, D, N, R, P

that help any? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Maybe it's so it'll stay in 1st gear. My gears are arranged as 1, 2, D, N, R, P. 1 means it'll stay in 1st and 2 means it'll go no higher than 2nd gear. There's an ice mode which starts it in 2nd gear and changes up gear earlier than normal and down later and a sports mode which waits longer before changing up and waits less time to chenge down. Not sure if that's of any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Cheers lads

L, 2, 3, D, N, R, P

that's low OK, may was positioned differently and allowed me to drop the gear lower by one and keep it there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

Why did u get an auto as your 1st car? R u not better off learning the proper way. If you do your driving test in it its only for automatics, isnt it.

And how are u insuring it on a provisional,,, is it just a 1.3, or it the Mirage a turbo or something? plz tell me u didnt hand over the guts of 5grand to the insurance ****.

Why did u get an auto as your 1st car? R u not better off learning the proper way. If you do your driving test in it its only for automatics, isnt it.

And how are u insuring it on a provisional,,, is it just a 1.3, or it the Mirage a turbo or something? plz tell me u didnt hand over the guts of 5grand to the insurance ****.

Yea, if I do the test in an automatic, I can then only drive those but I can live with that. Automatic works better for me :)

It's just a 1.3 and insurance is costing me just under 2 grand.. lot of money yes, but not as bad as some of them wanted... €3500 upwards :eek:

Ratchet: yep L is low.. one of the lads in the house I'm sharing took it for a spin and we confirmed that... also seems to be pulling to the right a bit though. Have to get that looked at I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Yea, if I do the test in an automatic, I can then only drive those but I can live with that. Automatic works better for me :)

It's just a 1.3 and insurance is costing me just under 2 grand.. lot of money yes, but not as bad as some of them wanted... €3500 upwards :eek:

Ratchet: yep L is low.. one of the lads in the house I'm sharing took it for a spin and we confirmed that... also seems to be pulling to the right a bit though. Have to get that looked at I think

Check tyre pressure, and if they are correct it's probably the tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Praetorian wrote:
    Check tyre pressure, and if they are correct it's probably the tracking.

And if its not the tyre pressure or the tracking, its probably your suspension...some jap was doing his missus in the passagers seat :D

Hopefully though...for your sake its not ur suspension....cant very well bring it back! Or did you buy it off garage that imports cars??? :confused: Hope u did! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Cheers lads

L, 2, 3, D, N, R, P

That looks better. "L" is just first. "D" is most likely 4th or OD. Often includes a torque converter lockup function.

Curran wrote:
    Hopefully though...for your sake its not ur suspension....cant very well bring it back! Or did you buy it off garage that imports cars??? :confused: Hope u did! :rolleyes:

I did :) And the fella I bought it through used to work there so I'll have a chat with him later and see what he thinks. Won't be a problem - his mam is my mam's best friend.

Oh just on another note, what would you all recommend as "essentials" for a car (and I don't mean Pimp My Ride mods! :p) and where's a good place to get em? (ie: reasonably priced)

Sorry for all the questions guys - probably be many more for the next few weeks - but that's why I love Boards! :D

Advertisement