Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barthez banned for 6 months

• 22-04-2005 10:58am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Poor bald plate gets six month ban!
    Fabien Barthez has been banned for six months, three of which will be suspended, by the French disciplinary authorities.
    The Marseille keeper was punished for allegedly spitting at a referee during a friendly in Morocco.
    The incident occurred back in February during a game against Wydad Casablanca when the former Manchester United man was actually on the substitutes' bench.
    Frederic Dehu was sent off and Barthez came onto the pitch to protest against the decision before being accused of spitting at match official Abdellah El Achiri.
    Marseille disciplined their World Cup-winning keeper internally but did not reveal the extent of their punishment.
    The decision was announced on Friday after the disciplinary hearing with the FFF took place a day earlier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

So does that effectively mean he'll be banned from French football during the summer months? Awful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Saw the "highlights" on TV5 last night. Pretty scummy thing to do, though the ref seemed a bit of a sly prick. When asked what might have provoked Barthez, he replied that he had simply asked him to calm down. They had a professional lip-reader examine the footage and relay what he actually said. "I'm not quite sure, but it definitely begins with 'you fúcking'..." was her slightly embarassed appraisal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

very good goalkeeper, but he was always prone to get involved in controversial incidents. im not sure what it is that inspires him to do this every now and again but it has damaged his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Saw the "highlights" on TV5 last night. Pretty scummy thing to do, though the ref seemed a bit of a sly prick. When asked what might have provoked Barthez, he replied that he had simply asked him to calm down. They had a professional lip-reader examine the footage and relay what he actually said. "I'm not quite sure, but it definitely begins with 'you fúcking'..." was her slightly embarassed appraisal.

Where was the Ref from? He seems to have a good grasp of the anglo-saxon expletives :) just the thing to rise a frenchman.
    In fairness Bartez should have known better with all his experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I saw this over the weekend, only got a chance to post now unfortunately. Did anyone see the guy who threw a punch in the same game?

Twas quite possibly the funniest soccer related moment I have ever seen.

It was like the time Dougal kicked the guy on the ground in the priests sports day in Father Ted, the guy just punched someone who was looking away and immediately ran as fast as he could in the opposite direction!

Funny old game!
    Keano sli wrote:
    Where was the Ref from? He seems to have a good grasp of the anglo-saxon expletives

I'm pretty sure the people on TV5 would have been lip-reading in French !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Keano_sli wrote:
    Where was the Ref from? He seems to have a good grasp of the anglo-saxon expletives :) just the thing to rise a frenchman.
    In fairness Bartez should have known better with all his experience.

Yeah, sorry, I just translated "espèce de..." as best I could. I think the ref was Moroccan, FWIW.

Advertisement