Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance options (bike & car)

Options
  • 22-04-2005 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

ok, Im 23. I drive bike. I have a full licence and a full 5 year no claims bonus. Im insured with hibernian. I want to get a car. Inorder to insure it with hibernian I must do a test as I only have a provisional on a car. I told the girl on the phone that I cant drive a car as I'm on a provisional (visious circle).She also suggested that I go to quinn direct - seriously she said that.

Karl Nash only give quotes on full licences. So cant go their either.

So, at the minute it looks like I will have to get too seperate polocies. For the bike €800 with hibernian and for the car 2600 with quinn direct.

I seems poxy that since I can only drive one at a time anyway that I should get some deal or discount. Its such a rip off !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Why can't you do lessons in a car, then sit the test with hibernian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

hassle, also if it were that easy, I'd do lessons and then get my full licence.

The strictness of the driving test - 50% fail rate leads me to believe that you have to be driving for a while to build the competence to pass the test. I dont think you will get this competence from a few lessons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Horses for courses really. Personally I'd been driving for a total of 3 1/2 months, 10 lessons, got my car, passed the provisional ignition, driving solo for a month, got a mix of 5 lessons/pre tests coming up to the test, passed first time around. If you're used to driving a bike I'd imagine you'd have much better road instincts then I. Of the people I know that fail the test first time around, they were either non national, or not prepared or very nervous (that's just my opinion though). IMHO it probably wouldn't be a good idea to go on the road without at least getting enough lessons that the instructor thinks you'd pass before hitting the road.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I was biking for 3 years, bought my first car off my brother, and applied for a test cancellation. Got a test 5 weeks after I bought my first car. Had never driven a car before. Got 2 x 2 hour 'pre-test' lessons with a driving school in the week before the test. Passed the driving test. It is a bit of a joke.

Advertisement