Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with audio set up

Options
  • 22-04-2005 12:09pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help with this problem. I have a Marantz PM4400 connected to a Vestax PCV275 mixer and a set of Technics 1210 turntables. There is also a Sony tape deck and Philips CDR connected. I just got the amp as the previous amp died a few weeks ago. When the other one blew I got a new internal fuse for it and it worked again for about five seconds and again the fuse blew, tried more fuses with the same result. I had noticed before with that amp that there was a humming sound like feedback even when the volume was off on the mixer. I now have that same humming / feedback with the new amp. The volume on the mixer is set very low and all EQ's on the mixer are set to "0". I am using standard phono connections and the turntables are both earthed to the mixer. My speakers are mid powered Tannoy bookshelf style. I did notice last night that as I put my hand near the Marantz amp that the humming got louder. Obviously I dont want this amp to go bang too! I dont know if its the mixer causing the problem and if knowing its spec will help anyone identify the problem - here is the link anyway for the mixer if it makes a difference -

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/?catno=MR65697

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I presume you aren't using the phono-in on the marantz which expects a very low level signal.. the mixers line-out may be putting out a very high level signal .. too much for the line-in on the marantz to take.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

No, I am using the Tape / MD input on the Marantz. I use this because it also has an output to connect into an MP3 player for direct encoding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭motrocco

Sometimes you need to earth the mixer. Seen this before in other cases.

Obviously you are connecting the decks in on phono, mixer master on to the tape/md in.

Have the the speakers connected to the correct outs? Sometimes there are different connections for dif type speakers, not sure why.

Just my 2c

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

There is no facility to earth the mixer. The decks are connected to the mixer and also earthed (is that a word?!). I am using the output from the mixer which is marked as "recording out" as this has standard phono audio outs. The master out is another type of connection, like what would be used on a guitar or PA system so I am not using that output.

Advertisement