Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Internet

• 22-04-2005 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

What do ye think of the level of customer service provided by UTV Internet.

Its gone beyond a joke now with the rubbish I have had to put up with from them.

On march 9th I was going to apply for their 3month free trial but they're offer ended on march 8th so i applied for east. A few days later they had extended the offer so I rang esat to cancel my order. The have some queueing software so i didnt have to stay on the line they just rang me back. They cancelled my order and rang me back later that day with the eircom cancellation number which they said i would need if i wanted to change to utv etc.

I was unable to apply online for utv internet as there system was not updated so it looked like i had broadband with esat.

After about 20minutes of holding I eventually got through to someone and explained my situation. They said i could not apply online that they would post out the form to me. I requsted they fax it to me or send me a softcopy but they would not do this. They told me to write the cancellation number on the form as well.

So 4 days later the forms arrive, I filled them up, put the Eircom Cancellation number at the top of the form and also included a note explaining the situation, and again noted the cancellation number. I included my mobile number and requested they contact me if there were any problems.

About 2 weeks passed and I did not hear anything from them. I tried ringing a few times during the day but about 15 or 20 minutes on hold i eventually gave up.

One evening i got through to them and got talking to someone. The said my order had not moved on as they needed the Eircom Cancellation Code. I explained that it should be there as I had included it. So I gave it to them over the phone and they said that would be fine. They would ring me back the following day with an update on my order.

I didnt hear anything from them for another week, eventually i got an email from them saying that they needed the Eircom Cancellation Code to proceed with my Order. So I replied to this email and gave the cancellation code for the 4th time. I never received a response from this email.
    I also emailed them to explain that I was unhappy with the customer service, I received an automated response for this email saying they would reply soon. That was all i heard from them.

A few more attempts are ringing them and I eventually get through. I explained the above story to the guy on the phone, he put me on hold for a while and returned to say they needed the Esat Cancellation Code in order to proceeed with my order.
    So i said i would get that, could i ring him back directly or email him as I didnt want to go on hold for another 20mins. He said no that was against policy.

I ring esat, get in the queue for a call back. They call back 10mins later and give me the code.

I ring UTV Internet and hold for 30mins. I give him the code, and request that he calls me back to let me know if the order is going ahead. He takes my details and promises to do so.

I don't hear anything from them for the rest of the day. Then at 7:30 that night i get a call from them. Guess what? they were looking for the Esat cancellation Code, yer man said his browser crashed after he took it from me earlier in the day.
    I explained how unhappy i was etc.. he said my order would be marked as a high priority and they would contact me the following day with an update.

That was one week ago, im still waiting....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

TBH, if you cause any added complexity in your order with any of the BB companies, you must be prepared for things to balls up....i mean they all do a pretty good job of ****ing up even the most simple orders, so when you complicate matters by dragging in an extra party, you'll be the one to suffer.

:( But that really sucks man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

I must say, the best example ive seen yet of totally incompetent 'Support Personnel'. They must have seriously crap internal communication & information policies in UTV, as only that could explain that, oh and probably sub-standard employee training since many these days dont seem to know the product they are supposed to support half-the time.

Plus what has his 'browser' crashing got to do with him not getting your number, did he not actually write the damn thing down, not to mention he probably meant his computer crashed lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That sucks podgeen, UTV really seem to have lost the plot lately.

One question though, why didn't you just go ahead with the BT trial once you had applied for that? Is there something special with UTV you wanted (phone calls or something else included in the package)? Just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

They are cheaper than esatBt plus they have the free offpeak calls.
    I was thinking that i would probably keep the broadband after the freetrial is up. ill be paying for it myself as no one else in the house is interested in it. Seeing as Im paying 400e in rent, phone line rental, gas, esb and ntl. I wanted to get the cheapest broadband possible.

I couldnt be bother ringing them again as I'll just be stuck on hold for ages so i am going to try again tonight around 7pm. hopefully they wont be as busy.

Its so frustrating, they are impossible to deal with. It is not the way to run a business, I might see if i can get to talk to a manager or someone who knows what they are doing.

I'm am considering just cancelling it altogether as its been so much hassle. But I am sure they would manage to screw that up also.

Actually as I'm writing this I think I will just cancel. I don't want to be giving those muppets my money, when they don't know how to deal with their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I wouldn't bother ringing at 7pm. I tried that a couple of times and got a recorded message saying their office hours are 9am-5pm or something like that.

the are open till 8:30

ive rang the before at 8:15 and got through straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

podgeen wrote:
    the are open till 8:30

ive rang the before at 8:15 and got through straight away.
    I stand corrected :)
    Thanks for that. They must have changed recently or I'm unlucky.
    Or possibly both :D

they probably decided to go to the pub the evening you rang. I wouldnt be surprised, or maybe just decided they didnt feel like answering the phones. (similiar to the way they don't reply to emails)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

BT Broadband, or whatever it's called these days, is cheaper than UTV unless I'm mistaken. You get the base package inc line rental for €39 pm. And no mimimum contract period. And bigger cap. I can't see much in UTV's favour. However stingie I might be, I would never put up with that crap either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement