Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spore

Options
  • 22-04-2005 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

This looks like one of the most exciting game ideas I have seen in a long while.

Link with pictures here

Another description here

The audio report is good too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

hehehe, looks awesome alright. Any ETA?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

2007 apparently. I hear he will disscuss it more at E3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

looks alot like a game that was meant to be a dreamcast launch title. involved creating your own species and developing it to the dominant species. cant remember the name of it for the life of me. think it was 7 something...*sigh*

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    looks alot like a game that was meant to be a dreamcast launch title. involved creating your own species and developing it to the dominant species. cant remember the name of it for the life of me. think it was 7 something...*sigh*
    Seventh Cross Evolution?

I made a fansite for this cause I'm that excited---> http://sporeworld.tk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I'm really looking forward to this game. With it being a Will Wright game it's very likely to have a nice easy to use Interface and plenty of character. I'm just hoping that the societies don't all of a sudden become self sufficient and the game stops being a game. I can imagine myself playing through the early parts of the game over and over regardless of how the rest turns out. It's also good to see him pushing boundaries.....there's enough scope to evolve your own society of care bears. No doubt he'll make up for unleashing the sims on the world with this one.

Look's like Evolva Scout on a much bigger scale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I think the release date is 2006 sometime... but rumors run amok the first few weeks of press release...

Looks great though. Link to a fan site on sig if your interested. Lots of fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Looks like a great idea to me, the pictures make it look a lot of fun and the scope of it is very interesting... ill buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

My heart has been shattered once more.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16083
    In a conference call to discuss today's financial results, EA said that Will Wright's highly anticipated evolution sim, Spore, is no longer in the company's plans for the current fiscal year, which ends in March 2008. Most in the industry had expected the game to be released later this year, perhaps in time for the holiday shopping season.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I read that this morning. Ah well, at least we know it's not being rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Indeed. I've heard rumors that another phase of evolution is being added, the Molecular stage.

Hopefully the delay is a sign of improvements and other fun things rather than problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Well they did recently acquire Soren Johnson, lead designer of Civ IV so I'm sure they have a few new ideas up their sleeves. I really hope it turns out as well as we are expecting and I guess I can accept a few delays in order for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

humanji wrote:
    Yeah, I read that this morning. Ah well, at least we know it's not being rushed.
    yeah! spore looks really good and the last time it needs is EA pushing it out early and unpolished just so they can get a quick short term boast in sells. Will Wright is the genius who gave EA the biggest selling game of all time and im sure they know that he knows what it takes to make a good game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well they did recently acquire Soren Johnson, lead designer of Civ IV so I'm sure they have a few new ideas up their sleeves. I really hope it turns out as well as we are expecting and I guess I can accept a few delays in order for that to happen.

Really? That's a good sign for the 'civ' phase of the game. I know I used to visit some Civ forums a few years ago and Soren often made posts and was all too happy to listen to what fans wanted, and after a masterpiece like Civ IV you'd have to say any game would be safe in his hands.

This is the sort of game that I could see lasting years worth of play, so a few months delay for a better experience is worth it IMO. People tend to slag off EA but they know how to produce successful games, and in the case of a big strategy game like this with Will Wright at the helm they know better than to rush it like they might do a sports game or shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I really hope it turns out as well as we are expecting and I guess I can accept a few delays in order for that to happen.

Just like Stalker :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks like we have a definate release date...bloody well better be anyway (Yay to old threads!!)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7242563.stm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, I just saw the EA site earlier, had a big banner ad with the release date on. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just saw on kotaku that europe gets spore 2 days before america :D

its not much, but regardless of all the evils that EA commit if there is one thing I am thankful for is that they dont treat europe like second class gamers (even if it means they rip us off with crappy games just as much as everyone else)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

With so many delays and long spells without any news its a sure sign of a game in trouble.

Been dying to try this ever since I first heard of it though.

Seems to be coming multi format too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm still looking forward to this despite the delays. Let's hope they've sorted out the gameplay issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

l wouldn't be surprised if this has been on the back burner for quite a while, waiting for the appropriate development resources to become available. The first newsletter went out this week as well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Just as long as the game isn't like Black & White, i.e. all design/graphics/ideas but zero gameplay then it looks interesting (as long as the whole thing can't be played and completed in a day)

Demo is coming out on Tuesday, its a trimmed down version of the creature editor, a full blown creature editor is available to buy.

http://eu.spore.com/getspore/

sample creatures available here

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

OLD THREAD IS OLLLD!

That's good news, but I think they're taking the piss with charging money just to buy the creature creator now.

I can understand them wanting/needing to build up the content of the world before the game is actually released but charging for it is a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Spore looks good but like Johnny said I hope it acually has gameplay and isn't just a sandbox that will get boring quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

a sales target of $6bn by 2011, thats very ambitious

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Some of those created creatures look brilliant. It really does look like you can create any type of creature you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

kyub wrote: »
    OLD THREAD IS OLLLD!

That's good news, but I think they're taking the piss with charging money just to buy the creature creator now.

I can understand them wanting/needing to build up the content of the world before the game is actually released but charging for it is a bit silly.

Actually , just had a look, you can claim back the cost of the creature editor (GBP4.99) when you buy the full game (but only off the EA website)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

im really looking forward to playing around with this.

i have a bad feeling about it in the long term though....i'd say ill get bored of it pretty quickly, too much sandbox doesnt do it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

uglyjohn wrote: »
    im really looking forward to playing around with this.

i have a bad feeling about it in the long term though....i'd say ill get bored of it pretty quickly, too much sandbox doesnt do it for me.
    That's what we all thought of The Sims...

Advertisement