Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spore

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

corblimey wrote: »
    I suspect (and call me cynical) but EA and Wright are going to keep releasing nicey pricey expansion packs for this one until Armageddon. And each one will make some part of the 5 mini games a whole lot better, for example, add better space trading, add better rts features to the tribal stage, etc. Sims 2 as a standalone game is kinda sucky, but add in the 30 or so expansion packs and you have a completely different game (which is also kinda sucky imho ;)). I'd say that's the plan going forward.

Of course they will, it just makes sense. I don't begrudge them for doing it either, what you get with Spore right now is well worth the money as it is and it has the potential to be amazing with the right expansion packs.

We should really make use of this thread to share Spore usernames.

Mine is steoc4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Mine is dfunked

Haven't actually played it yet, so hopefully there are a few penis monsters waiting for me when I get home tonight and get stuck into it:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Accounts johnny_ultimate, please don't go to war with my poor creations.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im finding it very boring tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Aww, I was really looking forward to spore but this thread has now put me in two minds whether I'll buy it or not.

Yeah me too, is there a demo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

am I only one who is liking this game? :P
    just started the tribal phase, playing throught slowly
    user name is ri_nollaig (strangely enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Zero punctuation - Review of spore
    Just for those that might have missed the ZP thread or live under a rock

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    am I only one who is liking this game? :P
    just started the tribal phase, playing throught slowly
    user name is ri_nollaig (strangely enough)

You're now at the phase where boredom should start cos you've probably noticed the repetition creeping in. When you repeat your way to success you'll get to the civ stage where your creature now becomes defunct and all the time you spent lovingly creating a creature is time wasted.

You then get to spend time lovingly making a tank etc but regardless of what weapon you put on it it fires the same way as anyone elses and it pretty much does the exact same as anyone elses. You'll be confused as to who is attacking you and why you're being attacked. Diplomacy is confusing and you never actually know if someone is going to attack you or not. Mostly it turns into outright war where you repeat your way in a very simplistic way to victory.

Space!!! Again make a space ship, by now you might realise it's all pointless cos it'll do precisely the same as everyone elses.

You'll have colonies. You've no real overall indication of your income, what's causing a loss or a profit. They'll be attacked and lose structures and you'll get no written indication of what got popped and so have to guess what you had there.

Again you'll have no real indication of who is your friend or not. You'll run repetitive missions, get bored and just start attacking ****. Once you upgrade your spaceship a couple of times and gain the mega laser you're pretty much invulnerable but you can't go to war properly cos every 1 ****ing minute your useless defensive colonies scream for help cos the exact same number of ships from a given empire are attacking for the millionth time.

I've tried hard to like Spore but it's getting uninstalled. Glad I didn't waste money on it.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Krieg wrote: »
    Zero punctuation - Review of spore
    Just for those that might have missed the ZP thread or live under a rock

NOOOOooooooo. That was a good one.

Anyway, he hit the nail on the head. I agree completely with his review.

With Warhammer out, Cysis Warhead & The Witcher extended edition coming out soon, not to mention all the stuff coming out over the next 3 months, I predict a swift death for Spore.

Great idea, failed execution IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

You're now at the phase where boredom should start cos you've probably noticed the repetition creeping in. When you repeat your way to success you'll get to the civ stage where your creature now becomes defunct and all the time you spent lovingly creating a creature is time wasted.

You then get to spend time lovingly making a tank etc but regardless of what weapon you put on it it fires the same way as anyone elses and it pretty much does the exact same as anyone elses. You'll be confused as to who is attacking you and why you're being attacked. Diplomacy is confusing and you never actually know if someone is going to attack you or not. Mostly it turns into outright war where you repeat your way in a very simplistic way to victory.

Space!!! Again make a space ship, by now you might realise it's all pointless cos it'll do precisely the same as everyone elses.

You'll have colonies. You've no real overall indication of your income, what's causing a loss or a profit. They'll be attacked and lose structures and you'll get no written indication of what got popped and so have to guess what you had there.

Again you'll have no real indication of who is your friend or not. You'll run repetitive missions, get bored and just start attacking ****. Once you upgrade your spaceship a couple of times and gain the mega laser you're pretty much invulnerable but you can't go to war properly cos every 1 ****ing minute your useless defensive colonies scream for help cos the exact same number of ships from a given empire are attacking for the millionth time.

I've tried hard to like Spore but it's getting uninstalled. Glad I didn't waste money on it.
    :(

what happened to this?
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

Played it for an hour the day it came out and havent gone back to it, it really sucks...soooo repititive. Waste of money...for somethin in development for so long its a serious disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I don't know, I'm up and down over it. I got really fed up in the space stage with constantly being attacked the whole time until I realised
    if I just did a couple of missions for nearby races and then allied with them, I could just pay them to attack my enemies and wipe them out.

Once I got my space drive up a few levels, I just headed off across the galaxy and set up again there while I build up some cash. Just ignore all those moans for help from your original colonies and allies.

I'm finding it oddly Peggle-like. Yes, I keep doing much the same thing over again, but it's oddly relaxing, and then I find 2 hours have passed.

It's full of stupid bloody bugs/design flaws though:
    - On creature stage, if you try to impress a creature and realise you don't have enough social skills, and decide to go the attacking route instead - you can't. You'll keep getting told you've killed 1/5, even as the corpses pile at your feet. As you kill each one, the counter changes to 2, then back to 1 a second later.

- On Space stage, you get told when you're colony is attacked. You don't get told if you lose it!! I got an 'award' for 'Bad Parenting' last night for losing 5 colonies. I never noticed.

- Why do I keep having to go in and rebuild my turrets one by one, dragging them into position. Why can't I just buy 6 turrets and have them autoplaced.

- Why do I have to keep choosing my building desgins. they don't make a difference, I don't give a damn, just give me an auto or random option.

- Is it just me, or is attacking in the creature stage basically just button mashing?

- Is there any way not to win tribe stage? Granted I'm playing on medium, but just give your neighbours some food, play them some music, hey I've conquered them. Or wait for a neighbour to attack, kill their men, then immediately invade while they've no people left.

- Spice, what is it good for? Why do I have to visit every damn planet in my empire every five minutes when its storehouse becomes ridiculously full, then randomly visit doezens of alien planets in the hope of luckily finding one giving a good price for it. I though there'd be some kind of logic - e.g. red spice sells well on planets without any, or far from any others, or at the tip of an empire with no other inhabited planets nearby; but no, it's random

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I wish my laptop could run Spore, it looks like my ideal game!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I've been playing it endlessly since last week, its so addictive. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It's definitely getting more Peggle-like.
    I've 'finished' it
    bit disappointing tbh
    and now I'm just grinding away to get all the badges, doing similar tasks over again, which is mildly diverting and occasionally frustrating, in much the same way as trying to get all the Peggle achievements.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

There's an interesting interview with one of the designers over at RPS.

I don't know about you guys but I thought I was buying a game, not "a third", as he puts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I figured it would be a more interesting idea than a finesse of game play.

It reminds me alot of the original sims, a simple idea that was so critically flawed (groundhog day syndrome).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I uninstalled this tonight,did'nt like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

I uninstalled this tonight,did'nt like it at all.

therre goes one install :pac::pac::pac:

got the game. most of the space age complete... trying to decide if i shud take on the grox or ally with them... think il ally first caus its one of the things u have to do and then il destroy them - although they are everywhere so thats gonna take ages :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

kenyard wrote: »
    therre goes one install :pac::pac::pac:

got the game. most of the space age complete... trying to decide if i shud take on the grox or ally with them... think il ally first caus its one of the things u have to do and then il destroy them - although they are everywhere so thats gonna take ages :P

I don't think you can wipe out the Grox.
    Though godspeed on your campaign of interstellar genocide, it warms my black heart, it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

After reading the official forums I saw one dude who wiped them out and they stopped attacking him but he still got allies who got attacked (you know, your allies who constantly scream for help when someone sneezes at them) by them.

I've uninstalled Spore as well... But reinstalled Civ 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Still 50 euro at least just about everywhere.

I won't pay more than 25-30 for a PC game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Are people still playing? Did it stand up through an initial novelty or is Spore now just taking up disc and/or shelf space?

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Are people still playing? Did it stand up through an initial novelty or is Spore now just taking up disc and/or shelf space?

no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Still playing or i would be if work wasn't crippling my body and soul.

The creating of creatures is by far and away the best part.

I got into the LBP beta. I really liked spore, but when another game comes along with a similar focus on user creation and does it ten times better, it's hard to go back really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

No, I never made it past the tribal stage, tbh. Dust collector after day 2. This game is destined for the "1 for 15.99 or 2 for 30" special offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Stopped playing this at tribal stage. WORST.GAME.EVER

Advertisement