Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Hobbes wrote: »
    OK while the spore creator is a lovely piece of software I am not too impressed by EA at all.

First up I can't run the software unless I am running the EA updater which requires me to be logged in. I am sure if I rummage I might find the link but annoy straight off.

If the log in fails, or network connection goes down then I can't access the software via the updater. :/

But the real taking the p!ss (may not of been intentional). I had forgotten the password so went to the get reminder. Didn't work. So I thought it was script block, so activated the site at which point a huge picture of a pirate appears on the right. Wondering if they were trying to imply I was up to something.

I went back to the site again and the pirate doesn't appear. However I have yet to get my password reminder information. :o

is this the login screen when you start the game?

Are you sure you have to login? I just hit 'cancel'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

quarryman wrote: »
    is this the login screen when you start the game?

Are you sure you have to login? I just hit 'cancel'.

Me too, I think logging in is just for uploading creatures. That said the reason why I'm hitting cancel is the same as Hobbes, where's my reminder! :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

still have'nt decided if im gonna buy this yet or not :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

im amazed by the attention to detail, and the simple, yet powerful, creature creator. seriously though, the possibilities are endless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

This looks great. I'm downloading the creature creator trial right now. The main game though looks very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

whats the creature creator thing like?there charging 8 quid for it in game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

whats the creature creator thing like?there charging 8 quid for it in game.
    You can download the trial for free. Personally, I don't see the attraction in the creator. It's a bit of fun, but after creating 3 things, I'd done everything that I found interesting with it and went off to watch tv. It'll mean something when the game comes out, but I really don't see the point in paying for it now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So it looks like the game may be as good as we had hoped. Pc Gamer (UK) have given it 91%, saying "Spore's triumph is painfully ironic. By setting out to instill a sense of wonderment at creation and the majesty of the universe, it's shown us that it's actually a lot more interesting to sit here at our computers and explore the contents of each other's brains."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

preload starts today, Im very, very excited for the unlocking next friday midnight, after which i may appear to be dead to those who love me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I've been following Spore since the first few glimpses of it in what 2005? I was fascinated by the idea, but the more I read the more I kept thinking "Sim Creature". I didn't enjoy Sims 2 at all and Sims 3 looks like more of the same.

But I got the CC at the weekend (7 spods in Game, money back when you buy the full game) and I have to say I love it. It's really re-awakened my interest in the game. Just making a funky looking creature jump around has been enough for me to pre-order the full game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Hobbes wrote: »
    There is a feature length demo with Robin Williams in it as well. As I understand it the game is nothing like B&W at all.

They ported animations straight over from what I can tell. The code they used for the dancing/group dancing seems to be identical to the creature/villager dancing in B&W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Zillah wrote: »
    They ported animations straight over from what I can tell. The code they used for the dancing/group dancing seems to be identical to the creature/villager dancing in B&W.

I really doubt this is the case. Spore = Will Wright and Maxis, while B&W = Peter Molyneux and Lionhead. If there were any ported code there'd be copyright infringement issues.

Also, I've seen different elements of Spore being compared to pacman, diablo, populous, civilization and master of Orion, but I don't think any previews have mentioned B&W so I think we're safe enough there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Looks like their download servers are dead. I got about 50% down tonight and then it just stopped. I'll have to get the rest over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Branoic wrote: »
    I really doubt this is the case. Spore = Will Wright and Maxis, while B&W = Peter Molyneux and Lionhead.

Maybe they bought it, maybe they stole it or took inspiration from it, but it looks identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Looks like their download servers are dead. I got about 50% down tonight and then it just stopped. I'll have to get the rest over the weekend

:eek: £40 to buy it from EA. WTF, digital distribution is meant to be cheaper.

£25 from shopto and you would get it on Monday

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    :eek: £40 to buy it from EA. WTF, digital distribution is meant to be cheaper.

£25 from shopto and you would get it on Monday

It's never cheaper. Even steam is more expensive.

Love the latest trailer for this, and am really looking forward to playing this on Friday now. http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/1102154/Spore/Product.html. Love when the missile hits the city and a load of unhappy faces appear :D
    It's never cheaper. Even steam is more expensive.
    Steam is more expensive? No its not, its far cheaper then most shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Kiith wrote: »
    Steam is more expensive? No its not, its far cheaper then most shops.

I find it's more expensive. Particularly for older games that you can usually grab for like a fiver or less in a game shop you'll find for twenty quid on steam etc.

Don't ask me to go find links though :)

Forty something on play.com :O,Still have'nt decided if i want it or not :confused:

I find it's more expensive. Particularly for older games that you can usually grab for like a fiver or less in a game shop you'll find for twenty quid on steam etc.

Don't ask me to go find links though :)

I think for a lot of the non valve stuff it can be more expensive.
    I was going to buy Dracula origin from steam last week until I noticed it was 40 quid there and only 10 in the shops. I got it for 10 on direct2drive. That's a fairly new games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Forty something on play.com :O,Still have'nt decided if i want it or not :confused:

That sounds about right. Do you expect to pay less for new PC releases?

You'll pay €40-€50 in most shops...and €65 in HMV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Reckon there'll be a need to pre-order this? I've never had to pre-order a PC game before, but this has garnered a lot of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Doubt it, I've yet to have trouble finding a game on launch day. Just go looking in the morning and you will find one.

That sounds about right. Do you expect to pay less for new PC releases?

well..........ya condsidering the new stalker game is 26:99 or sumthing on play.com .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

2 days to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Zillah wrote: »
    Maybe they bought it, maybe they stole it or took inspiration from it, but it looks identical.

Thats like saying Warhammer looks like Warcraft. Its a strategy game with similar elements but its not the same game. There 5 different stages in spore that have completely different gameplay elements where in B&W theres just 1 where all you do is build your city and attack enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Amazingly, the game has already been cracked. Apparently it's out there on warez sites for everyone to download and play while those who've pre-ordered sit and wait.

It must be really disheartening for the developers - unless of course they're confident in their online content.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

any reviews of spore ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

3 reviews up on metacritic so far, but none of them are sources that I can really vouch for... (ranging from 90% to 100%)
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/spore?q=spore

Been looking around a bit for the best price for this and shopto.net seem to be among the cheapest... They've just lowered the pre-order price from €33.99 to €31.99 - even after you add €5 shipping on to that it works out cheaper than anywhere else I can find...

/edit
    looks like play have lowered their since I checked earlier (was over €40 this afternoon), and now have it in stock

Advertisement