Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

tman wrote: »
    3 reviews up on metacritic so far, but none of them are sources that I can really vouch for... (ranging from 90% to 100%)
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/spore?q=spore

Been looking around a bit for the best price for this and shopto.net seem to be among the cheapest... They've just lowered the pre-order price from €33.99 to €31.99 - even after you add €5 shipping on to that it works out cheaper than anywhere else I can find...

/edit
    looks like play have lowered their since I checked earlier (was over €40 this afternoon), and now have it in stock

Anyone have trouble registering their credit card with shopto.net? keeps declining it. I've used it in 4 other places in the last 2 days with no problems.

Ended up ordering from TheHut.com, £29.73 = about €37, no delivery charge came up.

PC Gamer gave it 91%. Although if you read the whole review, it did give the impression that some parts of the game are a bit flawed.
    E.g., you can't import any creatures you've already designed to play as. You can have them in the game as other races, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

MOH wrote: »
    Anyone have trouble registering their credit card with shopto.net? keeps declining it. I've used it in 4 other places in the last 2 days with no problems.
    Does your delivery address match your billing address? I had that problem yesterday when I tried to update my billing address

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

Nice review.

I'm still conflicted - the word on the street is that it lacks engrossing gameplay.

But I so, so badly want to create T-Rex and give him F-14 fighters...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Most of the reliable reviews so far are all above 80...
    Really considering picking this up tomorrow out of curiosity. While I don't like the sound of some of the phases, it does seem to be an interesting product on the whole.... Hopefully won't be too expensive in Smyths.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I too am tempted by the notion of it, but it looks a very shallow game once you get into it & I get too many "Black and White" vibes from it. The creature creator is cute & fun, but once you strip that out, what you got left?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

tman wrote: »
    Been looking around a bit for the best price for this and shopto.net seem to be among the cheapest... They've just lowered the pre-order price from €33.99 to €31.99 - even after you add €5 shipping on to that it works out cheaper than anywhere else I can find...

I'm giving up on shopto, went back in to try my c/c details again.

Spore availability is now listed as "Pre-order temporarily stopped", price is GBP 29.99, Euro price is 38.99. And people complain about Play's exchange rate?! Although oddly their weekly special is Mass Effect for 12.98/16.99

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

MOH wrote: »
    I'm giving up on shopto, went back in to try my c/c details again.

Spore availability is now listed as "Pre-order temporarily stopped", price is GBP 29.99, Euro price is 38.99. And people complain about Play's exchange rate?! Although oddly their weekly special is Mass Effect for 12.98/16.99

gamestop have it for 50 euro:eek:

rip off ireland as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Sonderval wrote: »
    Nice review.

I'm still conflicted - the word on the street is that it lacks engrossing gameplay.

But I so, so badly want to create T-Rex and give him F-14 fighters...
    I actually never thought about doing that, I guess I have no imagination hobbes, luckly everybody else will be making the content in my game!

tyran14.jpg

00000640.jpg

flyingsteampunkelephant.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Anyone play it yet?
    (I noticed it was "available" for the last week)
    Im still not sure if im gonna get it or not

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Wow that didn't take long, I just saw it. I think good games deserve to be bought, it's a shame to see this pirated so quickly.

Reviews are all positive, 90%'s etc but yet strangely muted. I think people were expecting the god/strategy game to end all god/strategy games but it's not quite that. I think they were expecting the game to provide actual orgasms.

A bit of a no-brainer purchase I think regardless of any imperfections.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Maximilian wrote: »
    Wow that didn't take long, I just saw it. I think good games deserve to be bought, it's a shame to see this pirated so quickly.

Reviews are all positive, 90%'s etc but yet strangely muted. I think people were expecting the god/strategy game to end all god/strategy games but it's not quite that. I think they were expecting the game to provide actual orgasms.

A bit of a no-brainer purchase I think regardless of any imperfections.

Will Wright himself was saying that there was too much hype: I think he just set out to make a fun, accessiable game but with such a high concept people started expecting a full on, realistic evolution simulator! But he always seems like the kind of developer who aims to please a wide audience, and while I don't like the Sims he does seem to be a genuine, innovative guy.

I'm just expecting a fun and imaginative little diversion, and by the sounds of it the game delivers on that front.

Krieg wrote: »
    Anyone play it yet?
    (I noticed it was "available" for the last week)
    Im still not sure if im gonna get it or not

yep, been playing a few hours now. On the 2nd stage.

Its good but not a classic. Somewhat repetitive.

I'm hoping it picks up in the later stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've played a bit of the DS version, which was so so.
    Hopefully gets better but not sure I'll have the time to find out, also got the new Viva Pinata for DS, and have the new Viva Pinata for X360 in the post =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Orion2

Forget Shopto.net folks! Get it at €1 cheaper (HUGE Saving! :P ) on Play.com for €37.99 (Free Delivery as Usual) and it's in stock too! Just ordered mine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

wait,i think i saw somewhere is selling it for less than 10quid?

seraphimvc wrote: »

Thats just the Creature Creator 'demo' that was released beforehand.

Intended to get this this morning but bad weather is preventing me at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Same as myself. Want to get it before i go to work at 5pm today, so i have something to do on night shift :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Orion2

seraphimvc wrote: »
    Yea... that's the Creature Creator alright! It retails at about €7.99 but ya can get a demo version of it for free. A total waste of money tho if you plan on buying the actual game... But handy and cheap if all you want to do is create Creatures and share them online. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Well I bought the CC from EAs site. The onlt good thing about it is that it counted as 4.99 against the full game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I'm actually horribly disappointed with it. So much scope, so much potential, but all it really is is a bunch of mini-games; imitations of other, better games.

The huge scope of it all is simply just one cosmetic change after another, with almost zero real game-play changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Have you gotten to the final stage ?

One review said that all the other stages were likt tutorials on how to play the final stage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Got it this morning. On the 2nd stage now. Absolutely no gameplay, just chase the red thing, chase the creature, walk/swim here, then the other direction. I really regret getting this now. I don't know anything about the other stages but I won't be playing the first two again. Huge let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

the only fun part so far is making your creature.

Wow im getting worried now

is it this bad

how is it getting 80/90% in reviews?

im just installing it now ,it takes a while

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I just rang the shop I got it in and pleaded with them to take it back. They said they would.Phew! Will pick up something else, anything else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ok, i too am quite worried now. Not sure i will get this now, as i'm on a bit of a budget. Might try it first, and see what its like before i decide.

I just rang the shop I got it in and pleaded with them to take it back. They said they would.Phew! Will pick up something else, anything else.

how did you do that

i rang gamestop and they said once iv used the serial number i cant bring it back

cant even get the game going

iv installed it but cant play it ,no desktop shortcut comes up etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

stalker clear sky ftw

• Advertisement

why not play it past the 2nd level before you give up on it, each section is completely different.

Advertisement