Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I find the sheer size of the Galaxy amazing !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

quarryman wrote: »
    #

ah i had that too, it installed fine, you just didn't make a shortcut :)

Same here.

The person beside me at the time said something like this is why people buy console games over PC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

got this on wednesday, havent stopped playing it!! Its so addicting, just intime for college !! YAY!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i got the galactic edition, aaand my email wont register... any ideas guys??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

well, I didn't get much sleep recently, Ive been playing a good bit in the space stage, and its ****ing hard... you really need to pace yourself unlike the other stages where you can rocket through.

My account also seemed to "not validateamagig" however it worked after a while,

must dash I have to recreate an ecosystem on a new T2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

seems like one to avoid until I have more time!
    Is the space stage open-ended or can you win the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Been playin it today...unlike anything else ive played.

Enjoying it though :D...i cant be original though...im tryin to make mine like a Velociraptor of some sort :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah really liking this (just starting Civilisation). Anyone still a bit so so, it is totally worth it. It may not be the ultimate evolution simulator, but its a damn fine (and very fun) game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I've quickly become addicted and I'm only on the Tribal stage. HAVE to head out for a do now and I really dont want to. :( But yeah, loving it and can't wait to get to the space stage! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm really enjoying this so far. The game only really begins when you get into space and you've a lot of scope to play how you want. I felt the other stages passed by far too quickly, in particular the tribal stage which could of had a hell of a lot more in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

humanji wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this so far. The game only really begins when you get into space and you've a lot of scope to play how you want. I felt the other stages passed by far too quickly, in particular the tribal stage which could of had a hell of a lot more in it.

This is actually something that came up in a lot of press previews and the like...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

humanji wrote: »

I assume most of use have gone to the "war-faring" side of the coin on our first time out. I found the Tribal section very easy, but I suspect that if you tried to do it the peaceful way, it'd take a heckuva lot longer. Same with Civ using Religous or Economic means. War is more fun, though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I chose all 3 methods at once, though with a slight bias to war, including launching an ICBM on the very last city.

All 3 methods are pretty much identical. When attacking with religious ships, they get shot at by the "faith of the target city" and lose health. If you send enough of them, you capture it, with no muss, no fuss. Keeping all the buildings that were built there.

If you use the economic, you slowly build up an economic relationship with the city and can eventually buy it out, for a set price. But your economic ships generate money for you and for the target and so, are non-hostile and are ignore by pretty much everyone (except me ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

corblimey wrote: »
    I assume most of use have gone to the "war-faring" side of the coin on our first time out. I found the Tribal section very easy, but I suspect that if you tried to do it the peaceful way, it'd take a heckuva lot longer. Same with Civ using Religous or Economic means. War is more fun, though :D

I did the peaceful way 3 times and was forced to use force on the last 2 tribes since they kept attacking me. The peaceful way really is no different. It scales with your abilities so each time you go up a level you need to commit more to befriending the tribe.
    Have to say im really overwhelmed by the space stage. Been trying to terrafrom a few planets but run into road blocks from lack of funds plus some stupid religous empire keeps annoying me making life difficult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

corblimey wrote: »

Went the peaceful way myself (just have to keep gifting the other tribes to stop them disliking you). Takes a bit longer, but worth it to build up my conversion mobile ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I was gettin worried with myself :P
    First being a predator, then killing everything, then building huge tanks and wrecking all the cities :P

When mine evolved into Civilisation..and the Speech Bubble was an Nuke!...i thought...oh no :o :P

If truth be told though, early on , once ye can have say 2-3 animals in your group...it got a bit disturbing for me.
    I've played FPS and countless games where i killed everything.

But setting 4 raptors on a helpless monkey seemed kind of wrong :eek::rolleyes:....my moral conscience really kicked in :P

I kept it up anyways :D

Did anyone spend any amount of time building city halls or buildings ?..or just threw them together like :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Did anyone spend any amount of time building city halls or buildings ?..or just threw them together like :P

I copied a few MVRDV buildings for mine, only cause they are mental.

mvrdv_pavilion.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Only on the second stage right now (limited time to play) but have gone through the cell stage twice. I would have thought that there would be different user created cells but only 'Maxis' cells seem to be there and when I search all my creations it says the Cells are not uploaded.

Thats a pity. I like the cell stage but without others crazy cells it is not cool as it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Just moving into the space section now. I'm not really impressed at all. Its a bit like I've played 3 sub-par games that have little to do with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I got it today... am on the 2nd stage and liking it and taing my time

• Advertisement

Ok I just played the space section for a couple of hours. This is appalling.

Mission running? Really? Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Zillah wrote: »
    Ok I just played the space section for a couple of hours. This is appalling.

Mission running? Really? Jesus.

What?!? Noooo!!! I've been waiting a couple of years for this game Zillah.... is it really bad?? Black & White hype/bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Kernel wrote: »
    What?!? Noooo!!! I've been waiting a couple of years for this game Zillah.... is it really bad?? Black & White hype/bad?

It depends though i mean its pretty repetitive throughout and is more like a set of mini games then one game that has a stream less evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Stev_o wrote: »
    It depends though i mean its pretty repetitive throughout and is more like a set of mini games then one game that has a stream less evolution.

Ah crap. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I was waiting for something like this to happen

Dangerous creature

Im going straight into creature creator to see if I can come up with something more corrupt.
    Btw, has anyone encountered any penis monsters yet?

Kernel wrote: »
    Black & White hype/bad?

Not quite as bad, but exactly the same sort of grand scope but poor execution. The novelty is wonderful for the first couple of hours. I really enjoyed the cell-stage and the land stage, really clever and original. After that it just turns into a handful of sub-par RTS games.

For example, you get to design your land vehicle, aircraft and naval units, choosing from a wide assortment of exotic sounding weapons. However, every single land unit uses the exact same glowing blue artillery animation, every naval unit uses the same rocket animation, and for some reason all the aircraft shoot lasers.

Don't get me started on the space empire stage. You fly around in one ship asking for missions from alien races, shooting meaningless respawning enemies, and trading "spice". You have to buy things from your own bloody colonies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wtf..................I knew I shud'nt have brought this game :-l.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The game really isn't that bad, depending how you approach it.

It isn't a good RTS game or strategy game. But it really isn't supposed to be. All these elements are really just a vessel to get you exploring and seeing different creations. And I think it works brilliantly. I've been playing it solidly all weekend, sporepedia tells me I've made about 75 creations and I've downloaded over 500 more from people on my friends list and you really never know what you're going to see next, and there's the social side of it too talking to people about how you came across eachother's creatures in game.

Without all that it's nothing, so I can see that if you're not interested in that side of it then it's the wrong game for you, but if you embrace it it's brilliant. I do think there's a hell of a lot of room for improvement in the structure of the 'game' side of things, but as it is it's still incredibly addictive and compelling.

So out of curiosity I decided to try a pacifist/herbivore creature. Seriously, what the hell is this ridiculous dance/charm/sing/pose crap supposed to represent exactly?
    steviec wrote:
    It isn't a good RTS game or strategy game. But it really isn't supposed to be. All these elements are really just a vessel to get you exploring and seeing different creations. And I think it works brilliantly. I've been playing it solidly all weekend, sporepedia tells me I've made about 75 creations and I've downloaded over 500 more from people on my friends list and you really never know what you're going to see next, and there's the social side of it too talking to people about how you came across eachother's creatures in game.

Pity about the gameplay :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Yeah kinda in the same boat here, been playing it since friday & im on the civ stage, not that impressed with it unfortunately

Advertisement