Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Not sure if its a bug or not, but there are tons of complaints on different forums about it. Basically, if the game decides you should be a "Warrior" your home planet gets attacked by the local uber empire literally every 5 minutes so it's almost impossible to do anything ie. colonising/terraforming/setting up trade routes etc.

It's worth noting that it seems to only be this bad for Warrior classes and not Scientists or Ecologists (bastards) but it has pretty much ruined the game for me. I was one of the people that was actually enjoying this! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

that'll learn you for being mean to the other cities

also happened to me, so I just started again at space with a creature i made in the creature creator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

kyub wrote: »
    Not sure if its a bug or not, but there are tons of complaints on different forums about it. Basically, if the game decides you should be a "Warrior" your home planet gets attacked by the local uber empire literally every 5 minutes so it's almost impossible to do anything ie. colonising/terraforming/setting up trade routes etc.

It's worth noting that it seems to only be this bad for Warrior classes and not Scientists or Ecologists (bastards) but it has pretty much ruined the game for me. I was one of the people that was actually enjoying this! :(

Yeah, the consensus is that if you're a warmongering bastard up until the space stage, everyone knows what a horrible race of genocidal maniacs you are and decided to 'ave at rather than sit back and wait for you to wipe them out.
    Sort of a punishment for playing the game like an american.
    (in before overheal)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You've never read an EULA, have you?
    You're essentially only ever 'renting' the software, all your money is doing is allowing you to buy a licence to install said software, you never really actually own it.

But you've always had ownership of the disk/software and the right to sell it again (second hand) when you're finished/bored with it. With Spore (and others using this DRM) you lose this, anyone buying a 2nd hand copy of Spore will be in for a shock.

The "powers that be" in the games industry have been trying to crack down on this for a while, now it seems they're acting.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/digitalworld/archives/2007/10/the_problem_wit.html

pH wrote: »
    But you've always had ownership of the disk/software and the right to sell it again (second hand) when you're finished/bored with it. With Spore (and others using this DRM) you lose this, anyone buying a 2nd hand copy of Spore will be in for a shock.

You've very rarely (infact aside from one of two examples, i'd go as far as to say never) had that as a right. Most EULA's prohibit this.
    Why would companies write into their EULA a clause that allows you to possibly turn a profit from their product?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

just to clarify that its 3 activations not installationg i think i said before.

I installed it on my laptop and pc.... then my little sister took it while i was out, she loves sims and looked like shed love the little creatures, installed it on her pc.....then there was problems..

Anyways it is a disgrace and such a HUGE mistake to A)use drm in the first place, it rapes genuine customers and B) not to display it on the box, or atleast give a price cut

genuinely drm games are craked and available online before release.

just to clarify that its 3 activations not installationg i think i said before.

I installed it on my laptop and pc.... then my little sister took it while i was out, she loves sims and looked like shed love the little creatures, installed it on her pc.....then there was problems..

Anyways it is a disgrace and such a HUGE mistake to A)use drm in the first place, it rapes genuine customers and B) not to display it on the box, or atleast give a price cut

genuinely drm games are craked and available online before release.

I understand you feel gypped, but i'd imagine your scenario is the exception rather than the rule. I mean, why install it on your PC and your laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I understand you feel gypped, but i'd imagine your scenario is the exception rather than the rule. I mean, why install it on your PC and your laptop?

So he can play it at home probably on a bigger screen and on the go on the laptop.

Since he paid for it, he should be entitled to install it on as many of his machines as he wants to IMO.

brim4brim wrote: »
    Since he paid for it, he should be entitled to install it on as many of his machines as he wants to IMO.

Leaving aside the fact that's not really what any of us do with any software, He's installed it on his two machines, fair enough.
    The third machine wasn't his, it was his sisters.
    She didn't pay for the game, why should games companies facilitate her getting the game for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, the consensus is that if you're a warmongering bastard up until the space stage, everyone knows what a horrible race of genocidal maniacs you are and decided to 'ave at rather than sit back and wait for you to wipe them out.

Strange, I've been in space for a little while (enough time to do maybe half a dozen missions) and I've not been attacked yet. And I was an utter utter b@stard on the way up. I have had a fair few threats ("stay away from our turf" kinda things) but no attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

A non-DRM related topic...

I have played two games so far both up to the second stage. The first game was as a bad-assed carnivore and the second game as an omnivore. In the carnivore game (though not the omnivore game) there are a couple of huge creatures (health of 1000) and I wonder if you stick around long enough can you grow to that size?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

The creatures i created dancing to Supermode :D

Its only the free creature creator though...

A non-DRM related topic...

I have played two games so far both up to the second stage. The first game was as a bad-assed carnivore and the second game as an omnivore. In the carnivore game (though not the omnivore game) there are a couple of huge creatures (health of 1000) and I wonder if you stick around long enough can you grow to that size?

Those are the 'Epic' Creatures.

You can't grow to that size, but if you can take them down you get something like 100 DNA for your creation.

Also, i think Epics tend to be other peoples creatures that you get while being online (kinda like Mii's and how the mingle). If it's from someone else you should be able tell by the info available on it in your Sporepedia.

Ross_Mahon wrote: »

The creatures i created dancing to Supermode :D

Its only the free creature creator though...

Some of those are fantastic.
    I liked the two headed purple thing with the nipple-claws the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Pre-ordered my copy of play.com some months ago, shipped last Wednesday and still hasn't arrived :(

Sometimes I think An Post deliberately delays my post just to annoy me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I like it lads. It's very simple, red vs blue vs green - generate more units and rush tactics. However, it's original and I like the scope of it.

I was always hoping for an age of empires type game that was geared more towards setting up a tribe and providing for them etc using one massive map which eventually turn into countries. But that day is far far away....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Space stage really is addictive as hell. First time in years I've lost myself in a game for three or four hours. Have yet to get to grips with terraforming though, too busy dealing with an irksome empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The Space stage really is addictive as hell. First time in years I've lost myself in a game for three or four hours. Have yet to get to grips with terraforming though, too busy dealing with an irksome empire.

Unfortunately it doesn't last, you've done everything after a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I can't get enough spore bucks, I'm sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

i've gotten all the merchant badges and have around 9 million :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I wanted to like like this so much, but I'm really getting bored.

I found the pre-space stages to be short, cute little distractions before what I thought (going by what some review were saying) was the "real" game, the space section. Just got to the space stage there an hour ago and I'm bored silly.

I've pretty much had enough now. I think i'll go and play a game of Civ IV and then when that's completed, a game of Gal Civ II - which is sort of the experience I was hoping Spore would give me.

I think I've just seriously misjudged the market this game is aimed at, it's all just far far too simplistic and shallow.

Branoic wrote: »
    I think I've just seriously misjudged the market this game is aimed at, it's all just far far too simplistic and shallow.

I think you've kinda hit on something there. I think alot of people did what you did and saw a Populus like phase, a Civ like phase and a Sins like phase and assumed that they'd be getting these three huge games rolled into one.

I don't think spore was ever really meant to be that game, i mean we're talking about the man who has most recently given us the Sims and the Sims2, it was kinda signposted just how much 'depth' was going to be in this.

I get the feeling spore was designed to be something you play with as opposed to play against (if that makes any sense). Making a creature of your own and seeing other peoples crazy creations is the best part of the game. The early stages serve mostly as a tutorial for romping around in the universe later on where you get to see how those choices you made early on have panned out.

I'm loving it, i just see it as a toybox i can go mental with and the community parts are fantastic (spore-casts, uploading to youtube, various exporters)
    I have games like Civ, populous and Sins already, spore isn't them, it's something different.
    I don't think i'll be playing this in a years time, but i'm happy with it for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Branoic wrote: »
    Gal Civ II

Now thats is an awesome space game. Not quite perfect, but still, fantastic fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Yeah I got to the center of the Universe awhile ago. Wasn't as great as I expected !
    Anyone know what the item Steve gives you does ?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Zillah wrote: »
    Now thats is an awesome space game. Not quite perfect, but still, fantastic fun.

Great game that. Can't wait for No.3. They are promising proper tactical battles in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Yeah I got to the center of the Universe awhile ago. Wasn't as great as I expected !
    Anyone know what the item Steve gives you does ?

Huh, when I got to the centre I just got a pretty 3d model of the galactic core.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Has anyone who ordered it from play.com received theirs yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Kernel wrote: »
    I like it lads. It's very simple, red vs blue vs green - generate more units and rush tactics. However, it's original and I like the scope of it.

I was always hoping for an age of empires type game that was geared more towards setting up a tribe and providing for them etc using one massive map which eventually turn into countries. But that day is far far away....

The map you do the creature phase on is the same map you do the tribal phase on is the same map you do the Civ phase on - your tribe sets up where your last nest was and your first city sets up where your tribe was - so it really does do that, it's just the control and UI changes make you feel like you're stopping one game and starting another, but it is continuous on a single map. The same map that becomes you're home planet in the space phase too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i cant get very far, unfortunately, a lot of enemies have been made beside my home planet, and everything is crumbling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Destroy them!

Advertisement