Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry level hybrid: Raleigh vs Giant

Options
  • 22-04-2005 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi --
    I'm about to buy a bike that I'll use mostly for getting the four miles to/from work every day. What I'd really like is an old high-nelly with a Sturmey Archer 3-speed, but seeing as I don't have a magic wand, what I'm looking at in my local bike shop is a Raleigh P2000 or a Giant (sorry I don't have the details on the latter) for about €300 each. Someone said in another forum that "Raleigh were crap" or words to that effect, which came as a surprise. Is that a common opinion? I'll only be using this for road travel.

thanks,
    tundish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Enduro

That could have been me. I'm a mountainbiker, and in the mountainbiking world Raleigh don't make great bikes, but Giant do have a few very nice bikes ineed. I wouldn't know about 300 Euro hybrids/commuter bikes though. However I'd be more likely to trust the Giant, just from what I know from higher end mouintain bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Giant would have a significantly better reputation than Raleigh in high road cycling as well. That 'should' filter down to lower end bikes as well.

4 miles each way will see you getting fitter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭abbey

Hallo, i'm just wondering where did u buy your bike as I nedd to buy one asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tundish

Happy to report that I bought the Giant over the weekend. Decent sturdy responsive bike for €300 -- the only "snag" (if you call it a snag) is that everything is quick-release, so I need a new lock or locks. Which begs the question: how much should I spend on a lock? Is it a case of getting what you pay for?

Abbey, I got the bike from 'Ferris Wheels' on the Blackrock Road (by Booterstown DART station). It's a small shop, not the widest selection, but they did me a good deal on lights, mudguards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

do a search in this forum for locks - there ahve been several discussions on this topic!!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you're concerned about the quick release parts you can pick up more secure replacement bolt kits fairly cheaply in cycle shops. Generally they have a non standard bolts/nuts and an included spanner for them.

I just wrap a lock through both wheels and bring my saddle with me. I always think that a bike with no saddle attached is less of a theft target.

I just wrap a lock through both wheels and bring my saddle with me. I always think that a bike with no saddle attached is less of a theft target.

This leads me to another question -- when you guys take your saddle with you, do you cover the seat stem with anything? My saddle is quick-release and I'm wondering if it's worth getting a bit of plastic to bung up the stem when the saddle is out, in case of rain & rust -- or is this way too much attention to detail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

tundish wrote:
    This leads me to another question -- when you guys take your saddle with you, do you cover the seat stem with anything? My saddle is quick-release and I'm wondering if it's worth getting a bit of plastic to bung up the stem when the saddle is out, in case of rain & rust -- or is this way too much attention to detail!

Seriously I wouldn't worry about it, but out of curiosity: would a common cork from a wine bottle do the job?

jman0 wrote:
    out of curiosity: would a common cork from a wine bottle do the job?

Nah, too narrow -- but a champagne cork might...

Advertisement