Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Fortnightly Metal/Rock Club night Starts in Cork Tonight

• 22-04-2005 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,793 ✭✭✭✭

Tonight is the beginning of Corks new metal/rock club night in the cruiscín lán. Its called Hanger 18 and doors are half 8. It'll be on every second friday starting 22nd april. Its organised and dj'ed by a friend of mine who really knows his music so should be great. First night features Serum and Sirocco.
    €5 with flyer, 6 without.
    Come one come all, want it to start well so it can be kept afloat..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nothing to do with the new night, but a mate of mine paid something like €15 to go into that particular venue a couple weeks ago and found some crappy local band playing in there. He didn't think he was getting value for money and asked for his money back, and they refused. So he went outside for a smoke and proceeded to tell the people in the queue outside exactly what they were queueing for. He got his money back pretty sharpish after that I can tell you...

adam

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Call me mr complainy pants if you must, but I've never enjoyed any of the rock/metal/alternative nights they put on in Cruiscin Lan, purely because the place just doesn't have the layout for it. It's a pub and a pub it shall remain - it just can't compete with the likes of the Half Moon or Sir Henry's as venues for nights like Camouflage. Maybe there's just not enough of an audience to have those kind of venues for alt nights, I don't know. Frankly I'd prefer just going to Fredz for a few than going to a pub that's trying to host a club night.

(dahamsta - that wasn't sunday 17th by any chance, was it? There was a gig on that was €15 in and the headline act - biffy clyro - were amazing as usual but the support this time round was dire, a couple of useless local bands...which was a shame, because they were here in november and brought a fantastic support band with them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Fysh has gotten it spot on there. The place really isn't suitable to hosts club nights.

I'm still searching for something to fill the Henry's shaped hole in my soul, so let me know of any good alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

dahamsta wrote:
    Nothing to do with the new night, but a mate of mine paid something like €15 to go into that particular venue a couple weeks ago and found some crappy local band playing in there. He didn't think he was getting value for money and asked for his money back, and they refused. So he went outside for a smoke and proceeded to tell the people in the queue outside exactly what they were queueing for. He got his money back pretty sharpish after that I can tell you...

adam

That wouldn't happen to be Sascha by any chance?

That wouldn't happen to be Sascha by any chance?
    I'll take the Fifth on that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Now now, I certainly can't imagine Sascha doing that from the couple of times I've spoken to/annoyed him. Oh no. (that said, after his conversation about gun use at the last beers, I think I'll watch myself about interrupting him in future...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Fysh wrote:
    Now now, I certainly can't imagine Sascha doing that from the couple of times I've spoken to/annoyed him. Oh no. (that said, after his conversation about gun use at the last beers, I think I'll watch myself about interrupting him in future...)

I think I missed that conversation! *phew* - but yes, I agree must've been him! ha ha ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Camouflage was good enough there (and well priced if I remember right?) But Cruiscin is too expensive for gigs alright (isn't it under new management since Camouflage ended there?). The Subways gig was €12 and their set was 25 minutes. And they were ****.

Although they are getting good names in, to be fair. (see cruiscin.com)

Sorry for my ignorance Rebel, but who are Serum and Sirocco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

plazzTT wrote:

wtf ? devendra banhart coming to cork ! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

parasite wrote:
    wtf ? devendra banhart coming to cork ! :eek:

He's been here before!

• Advertisement

plazzTT wrote:
    Camouflage was good enough there (and well priced if I remember right?) But Cruiscin is too expensive for gigs alright (isn't it under new management since Camouflage ended there?). The Subways gig was €12 and their set was 25 minutes. And they were ****.

Can't complain about gigs, I've seen Biffy Clyro twice there and the gigs were great both times (particularly last year when they were supported by the excellent Fighting With Wire), and the prices haven't been too bad (as in, I've paid more in other venues for bands on a similar sort of popularity level.

But I thought Camouflage sucked there; price was decent enough but there was no atmosphere - it felt like a bad copy of Fredz. It certainly wasn't anything like as good as Camouflage at Henry's or the Half Moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I was there on Wednesday, can't even remember who I saw, but they were good, wasn't very busy, but it was pretty good, in all, and Lisa Loeb is playing there in a few weeks! ok, so I only know one of her songs (stay - I missed you) - but still, should be pretty good?!

Never heard her music (and I don't have the bandwidth to download any now), but I dig the glasses. Nyom.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Fysh wrote:
    But I thought Camouflage sucked there; price was decent enough but there was no atmosphere - it felt like a bad copy of Fredz. It certainly wasn't anything like as good as Camouflage at Henry's or the Half Moon.

I agree totally. Camouflage there really did feel like "just another alternative late bar", rather than the excellent club night that it used to represent in it's previous venues. Memories of the heavy floor downstairs in the Half Moon still bring a tear to my eye, and even though I never really liked Henry's, it was a good spot when it was filled with rockers and metallers.

I still maintain that there isn't enough good alternative spots when out in town. I'd really love to see a proper alternative club open up, not necessarily metal, but just alternative would do me. I'd prefer a metal club, but I don't think a dedicated metal club would be able to survive in Cork, an alternative one might though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

nesf wrote:
    I agree totally. Camouflage there really did feel like "just another alternative late bar", rather than the excellent club night that it used to represent in it's previous venues. Memories of the heavy floor downstairs in the Half Moon still bring a tear to my eye, and even though I never really liked Henry's, it was a good spot when it was filled with rockers and metallers.

I still maintain that there isn't enough good alternative spots when out in town. I'd really love to see a proper alternative club open up, not necessarily metal, but just alternative would do me.

freakscene in club one on wednesdays and goldsoundz in the white rooms on fridays are your best bet at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

I was there on Wednesday, can't even remember who I saw, but they were good, wasn't very busy, but it was pretty good

i am kloot was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,793 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

nesf wrote:

I still maintain that there isn't enough good alternative spots when out in town. I'd really love to see a proper alternative club open up, not necessarily metal, but just alternative would do me. I'd prefer a metal club, but I don't think a dedicated metal club would be able to survive in Cork, an alternative one might though.

Admittedly Hanger 18 (on again this friday - 6th may) is largely like camouflage was in cruiscin, but its got the heavy music where the lighter music used to be (the big room). Its on again anyway doors at 11.30 ONLY €5!
    for the price and the great metal it seriously is worth a bash. Would be class if could get numbers up, thats the only potential problem, need to get some regulars to build better atmosphere and draw more people.
    Cruiscin lán - friday - 11.30 - €5 - Good metal - Come one come all, cork needs this to be a success if theres to be any kind of club metal scene!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Admittedly Hanger 18 (on again this friday - 6th may) is largely like camouflage was in cruiscin, but its got the heavy music where the lighter music used to be (the big room). Its on again anyway doors at 11.30 ONLY €5!
    for the price and the great metal it seriously is worth a bash. Would be class if could get numbers up, thats the only potential problem, need to get some regulars to build better atmosphere and draw more people.
    Cruiscin lán - friday - 11.30 - €5 - Good metal - Come one come all, cork needs this to be a success if theres to be any kind of club metal scene!

Well we are having a boards night this friday starting in the Phoinex. I might be able to convince some people to tag along with me to see what Hangar 18 is like. Most of the people I drink with are into metal and would probably be up for going.

10/1 odds by the way that I know you. The Cork metal scene is a small place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,793 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Its that time again, time for me to bump this up the boards!

The last hanger 18 (fortnight ago) was really successful, way bigger crowd and was a great night.

-On again tonight (Friday 20th May)
    -So if you fancy some good ol metal come to the cruiscín lán from 11.30 onwards!
    -€5 with flyer/student id or €6 without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

What in the name of putrid pantaloons is going on Ted? I was reliably informed by an associate of mine that the cruiscín lán "looked like it was closed down" only a couple of days ago...

as always.. I'm hugely confused

• Advertisement

The Cruiscin isn't a pub any more rymus, they only open for gigs now.

adam

Advertisement