Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector and xbox

Options
  • 22-04-2005 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Alright i have just got a projector (MP 7730) and really need help. Its compatable with televisions and so i was just wondering will it get damaged in anyway if i set it up with my xbox. Ive heard that with gaming the projectors sometimes burn still frames and basically f**ks up .Anyone able to help???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I really don't see the problem with an Xbox. I use my projector with everything (erm, apart from an Xbox), including a PC for games.

I think you might be thinking of the problem whereby a stationary picture from a computer/xbox burns into a TV. That's not really applicable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Fair enough, just got to get an s video cable and ill give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Erm, doesn't an xbox use the Red, White and Yellow RCA connectors? Either way, I find using s-video gives and inferior quality picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

output of the xbox depends on the adaptor you have for it. you can output (at least) composite, s-video, rgb from the xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Svideo will give a far far superior picture than composite (RCA) on a decent TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

weedhead wrote:
    Alright i have just got a projector (MP 7730) and really need help. Its compatable with televisions and so i was just wondering will it get damaged in anyway if i set it up with my xbox. Ive heard that with gaming the projectors sometimes burn still frames and basically f**ks up .Anyone able to help???
    They warn you in game manuals not to use a projector because even a teeny-tiny bit of epilepsy would be set off by a 7' screen, as opposed to a 14" one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Aid the Blade

weedhead wrote:

a mate of mine uses his the whole time for xbox and ps2 up to 14hrs a day sometimes.i heard that the bulbs burn out after 600hrs of use.is this true cos it doesnt seem to have happened with his

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

The bulb does burn out with extreme amount of use (different projector bulbs have longer lifes than others)- maks sure you have the extra cash waiting around for a new bulb if you are using it that much (14 hours a day??? - jesus christ that is crazy!!)
    I intend using mine (I have it but waiting on room to be done up) only for FIlms and then games, but only for certain amounts of time. I know its hard to go back to an ordinary screen after the cinema viewing of the projector - but it won't last long if you continously use it

Still can't get over the 14 hours a day - shocking!

Projector bulbs normally have a life of over 2000hrs.

Turning them on shortly after you have turned them off, not allowing the fan to run when you turn it off and lots of other things will greatly reduce the lamp life.

Do any of you guys know where i can get an adaptor for the xbox, you know like one side s video and the other whatever the xbox and playstation takes. Im dying to get this started on Doom 3

• Advertisement

o yeah if you do please post a link of pic of it im kind of a dumb ass when it comes to cables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

I find playing the PS2 on my projector to be too hard on my eyes so I moved it back to my regular TV. But I was using a 10 meter composite connector. I only use the projector for movies now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

I use mine maybe about 5hours a day during the week and 10 at the weekend. Use it for TV, DVD, PC, Xbox: got about 3200 hours on it now and no sign of burn in at all. As time goes on i found I use it more and more, never planned on watching any tv on it when i got it first. Just upgraded to the Panasonic PTae700 on Friday (the other one is an ae100) and have been blown away all over again, bloody great projector. Xbox definitely likes component best if it's an option (if it's a PAL xbox you won't get progressive but it's still the best connection for you), stay away from composite (that's the yellow, red, white) if at all possible. Don't have a link but you can buy unofficial vga adapters for the xbox, might be worth looking into.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

weedhead wrote:
    o yeah if you do please post a link of pic of it im kind of a dumb ass when it comes to cables
    http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=XB0696&title=gamester_high_definition_pack

This may be what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

weedhead wrote:
    Do any of you guys know where i can get an adaptor for the xbox, you know like one side s video and the other whatever the xbox and playstation takes. Im dying to get this started on Doom 3

You can get a S-video to Composite (phono/RCA) converter in Peats of Parnell St. (Dublin) for €25. It's a 2-way converter so it will pass the signal in either direction. You'll need a S-video cable and a Phono/RCA cable as well. In terms of quality of PAL analogue video signal (for transmission) the generally accepted ranking from best to worst is as follows:

1. Component (YUV)
    2. RGB
    3. YC (S-Video, S-VHS)
    4. Composite (CV)
    5. RF (composite signals on a RF carrier)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Hi BrianD,
    where did you come across this "ranking" of relative quality of video signals ? As all cameras are RGB by nature would this not make it the better format ? Component is derived from the original RGB signal in a matrix to remove the Green signal thus reducing bandwidth to allow efficient transmission over VHF/UHF links. I would swap 1 and 2 in your list especially as we are talking about an XBox.

The worst possible combination I could think of (as a migrane sufferer of 30 years) isa composite/Svideo signal projected onto a large screen. The interference between the highly saturated colours blown up to that sixe would make me sick plus it will look sh!te as well. Do your eyes a favour and go RGB.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

True. I've seen other rankings with 1 and 2 reversed. At the end of the day you are converting the images generated into a PAL broadcast signal to transmitt between the console and projector. Both are capable of video resolution that is better than the PAL standard. I didn't realise before reading this thread that projectors were quite popular and almost commonplace now. Perhaps the console manufacturers will provide additional outputs to cater for this growing market!

From what I've read component and RGB give no noticable picture quality, unless your using progressive scan, which I assume is why component is put first.

From a signal bandwidth POV RGB offers the widest range as it's less processed. RGB drive to a TV set directly drives the tube drives via amplifiers whereas YUV has to be processed to recover the Green signal.

Most consoles provide RGB as standard because this is what their video chips output so an RGB input to the tv/projector is more desirable. In theory it is possible to scan-double the RGB signal giving a better picture than YUV. YUV really only came ito vogue when DVD arrived.

ZEN

you can buy unofficial vga adapters for the xbox, might be worth looking

Where (In Ireland) can i get that i found out today that it has to be a VGA adapter after i bought an s-video with two audio cables in game. Pain in the arse i thaught the mouse connection on the projecter was an s-video port (i know stupid).

• Advertisement

Was that a "Homer Moment" ?? :D

ZEN

More of a "Ralph Wiggam moment"
    "Dying tickles" lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Maxwell wrote:
    The bulb does burn out with extreme amount of use

Ive been told by a guy who works for a company who supply audio video equipment to colleges that its actaully better to run the projector for long periods of time. Places like museams etc where it would be on from open to close get the longest life out of lamps. Turning it on and off for short periods of time results in much shorter life spans, same principle as a car i think.

The resistance of a bulbs filament is lowest when the lamp is cold so the initial surge of current through it at switch on could be a number of times higher than normal operating current causing it to fail. This is why many bulbs in your home will blow when switched on from cold, they blow so quickly it may not even glow at all.

The best way to power a projector is to leave it on standby keeping a small warming current flowing through the lamp so that the turn on resistance is high thus prolonging the life of the lamp. Your friend is spot on.

A lot of users believe that unplugging the projector is better for it because it allows it to cool down - not true. This of course only applies to incandescent lamps - lamps with a filament - discharge lamps or arc lamps don't benefit from this procedure.

ZEN

O K so i guess its not possible to get a VGA cable with a tv scart at the other end

Advertisement