Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden/Lawn Renovation

• 22-04-2005 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, gonna try to sort out the gardens (front and back) this weekend, or at least make a start!
    Front is pretty level, but is about 15-20% weeds, whats the best way to go about removing them?
    Im thinking one of those combination weed killers/lawn feeders when some dryish weather is due.
    Back garden has a few humps and hollows, how should I go about them?
    Ive read about removing the sod an levelling whats underneath, but also read that you can just fill in with topsoil and over a few weeks it will level itself out?
    The back garden also needs a good weeding/aeration/feeding.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well rest your back first mate,get weeding,feeding all that stuff first.Im doing mine and its a constant battle.Just a little heads up,Lex from here told me to get a garden spreader to spread weed killer and sand which helps the grass.

Now these spreaders were over €50 some of them in major DIY store,so i was in Lidl one day and seen one for €12.Seen them over in Blanchards town last week and they had a good few in stock...

Gods speed...

P.s Lex Luthor is the man to ask,i got great advice from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I use Levingtons Feed and Weed Sand for the lawn...kills the weeds and feeds the lawn.
    Get yourself a spreader cos you will need this stuff to go on evenly. They can be got in Argos...also they have an aerator which is worth doing every now and again to keep the moss at bay.
    You should see results within a week of lawn sand going down.
    You might have to spread the sand again after as you won't hit every blade of grass first time around even though you think you are...

I plan to drop new seed on the lawn tonight so it has the week with no kids on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey,
    well after many hours in B&Q we came back with a Fork, Spade, Scarifier, hose and a couple of boxes of Evergreen (or is it Everclear) Complete Lawn Restorer/Care.
    Seems to be a mix of seed/weed killer and food.
    After scarifing the lawn a few times I cut it (push mower).
    We had a few patches that were completely clear of grass so I broke them up to a depth of about 3 inches with the fork.
    I had a bit of topsoil from some old plant pots that I used to fill in some of the more obvious dips and hollows.
    I then spread the seed over these empty patches and raked it in.
    Then covered the whole garden in the restorer stuff. (Didnt use a spreader, the boxes has an inbuild spreader thingy that you walk with).
    I guess we should start to see some blackening during the week.
    should I use a mix of sand/top soil to fill in the other dips?
    Do I flatten it down of leave it on loose for the grass to grow through?
    cheers for the advice.

Advertisement