Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torrents at yellow status

• 22-04-2005 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm having some problems with Torrent downloads staying at yellow. I'm currently on the Eircom Home Plus package 2048/128. I also got myself a new wireless router working in conjunction with the eircom supplied netopia dsl modem which I'm sure is causing some problems with pin holes and port forwarding. Also to note I have the WinXP software firewall turned off.

I've currently got the pinhole setup on the netopia modem as in the modem.jpg file ie. ports 6881-6999 for TCP forwarding to the IP of the wireless router 192.168.0.1 using Internal Port 6881.

Now, the router settings in the router.jpg is set up the same way except it's forwarding to the IP of my desktp PC (192.168.0.3). Can anyone spot anything unusual about this that may be causing my pitiful < 15k/sec torrent downloads ??

Cheers,
    TC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

well cant say i know alot about torrents but as far as im aware ur download speed is dependent on how much you are uploading. So i would try to open up a good few slots and see if that boosts it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Have you got your BT client set to use ports 6881-6999?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

enigma_b17 wrote:
    well cant say i know alot about torrents but as far as im aware ur download speed is dependent on how much you are uploading. So i would try to open up a good few slots and see if that boosts it.

Not true for 90% of torrents you will come across. In fact, saturating your upload might decrease the download speed of the torrent. I always set mine to 8k up for 128kbit up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

My torrents were refusing to go green the other day. Port forwarding etc was fine and had worked before, but for one day it just wouldn't work.

Seems to have sorted itself out now though...i'm on the same BB package as you by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Giblet wrote:
    Have you got your BT client set to use ports 6881-6999?

Yes I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Turn off DCHP on your router (Netgear) and delete that pinhole setting on it.
    Turn on DCHP on the eircom netopia and let it assign ip addresses. Reboot each device after you change their settings and reboot your pc when all that is done.
    Worked for me but I still get the odd time the torrents stay on yellow :D

Sorry, reverse the first 2 lines. Turn on DCHP on the netopia first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Irishpimp

make sure your open the UDP port on the modem ;)

kaizersoze wrote:
    Turn off DCHP on your router (Netgear) and delete that pinhole setting on it.
    Turn on DCHP on the eircom netopia and let it assign ip addresses. Reboot each device after you change their settings and reboot your pc when all that is done.
    Worked for me but I still get the odd time the torrents stay on yellow :D

Sorry, reverse the first 2 lines. Turn on DCHP on the netopia first :)

I can't see how this would work and if anything bork up my settings. How will any wireless devices obtain an IP address if the router is not acting as a DHCP Server ? Can you take screenshots of your settings please.

Irishpimp wrote:
    make sure your open the UDP port on the modem ;)

I've also made separate UDP pinholes on the modem as suggested, still no joy :(

I can't see how this would work and if anything bork up my settings. How will any wireless devices obtain an IP address if the router is not acting as a DHCP Server ? Can you take screenshots of your settings please.

It does work. I'm not a networking guru by any means but the wireless router doesn't need to assign ip addresses. The netopia assigns an ip address to the router and any computers conected to the router after that. Wireless devices will still connect to the router without the router acting as a DCHP server. Once the connection is made then the netopia assigns the ip address. Of all the settings I tried that's the only one that worked. :D
    I have a different wireless router than you but I assume they all work the same way. I'll upload a screenshot when I figure out how to reduce them in size :o
    Funny thing though. I tried to take a screenshot of my pin hole settings but the pinhole I had setup and checked yesterday is gone :confused: and Azureus still works. Weird :confused:

• Advertisement

Ok, I've set up a static IP on the PC that I want to forward the ports to and have forwarded them to that IP address on the router.

My question now is, what IP should the Netopia modem have those ports forwarded to ? The IP of the PC or the IP of the router (ie. the default gateway) ??

kaizersoze wrote:
    It does work. I'm not a networking guru by any means but the wireless router doesn't need to assign ip addresses.

I think you may find that it does. Each device that connects to a router needs to have an IP address in order for it to communicate to other devices on that network. I suppose you could assign static IP addresses to each and every device but I'm not going to be doing that.

If you take a sreen grab (print screen) and open mspaint and save it as a jpg file for the smallest sized file.

Here ya go

I know each device needs an ip address but what I'm saying is that it doesn't need to be be assigned by the wireless router. If you were just using a standard BB modem then you would need the Netgear would have to assign the ip address but the netopia is a router aswell as a modem so it is capable of assigning them aswell.
    The fowarding port in the pinhole setting needs to be the ip of the PC :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

enigma_b17 wrote:
    well cant say i know alot about torrents but as far as im aware ur download speed is dependent on how much you are ploading.

Yeah sure you keep thinking that,
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Hey Tin. Had the same problem myself with Eircom's free, new Netopia modem/router. Make a separate pinhole over your preferred range. So if your range is 10000-10005, set up one pinhole as 10000 (range 10000-10000), another as 10001 (range 10001-10001) etc. Make sure to click the Static NAT button, too. Worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Quantum

Giblet wrote:
    Not true for 90% of torrents you will come across. In fact, saturating your upload might decrease the download speed of the torrent. I always set mine to 8k up for 128kbit up.

I use something called Burst for torrents... so I don't know what yellow and green mean. (maybe I should use something else ?)

However I don't upload much, and get good download speed. But they are VERY variable. Some will trickle for half an hour and then flow freely at high speed. It's very unpredictable.

Also - I would be VERY worried about turning off Win firewall software unless you have some OTHER firewall running !! SEVERAL packages I d'loaded in the last week were infected.

DadaKopf wrote:
    Hey Tin. Had the same problem myself with Eircom's free, new Netopia modem/router. Make a separate pinhole over your preferred range. So if your range is 10000-10005, set up one pinhole as 10000 (range 10000-10000), another as 10001 (range 10001-10001) etc. Make sure to click the Static NAT button, too. Worked for me.

Cheers DK, your mention of Statis NAT button got me thinking my torrent downloads are now green and motoring along at proper speeds instead of a paltry 10k/sec. Anyone who's interested, here's what I did to fix the problem.
      On the Netopia modem I set the NAT Default Server to the IP of the Router (ie. the one given from the modem to the router) not the IP of the workstation I want to port forward to. This is the IP that the modem assigns to the router in its IP range, not the IP of the router itself on it's own internal LAN.
      On the Netgear wireless router I port forwarded from 6881 to 6999 to the IP address of the workstation. I set the workstation with a static IP outside the range of the ones used by the DHCP of the router. This way my wireless devices can still connect and be given an IP address automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Cavman

hey tincool or anyone else could you do a step by step guide for the netopia wirless router for eircom as i dont know to much about networking,ive been having this nat error problem for ages with terrible speeds,

appricate it mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭dubmick

TinCool wrote:
    Hi All,

I'm having some problems with Torrent downloads staying at yellow. I'm currently on the Eircom Home Plus package 2048/128. I also got myself a new wireless router working in conjunction with the eircom supplied netopia dsl modem which I'm sure is causing some problems with pin holes and port forwarding. Also to note I have the WinXP software firewall turned off.

I've currently got the pinhole setup on the netopia modem as in the modem.jpg file ie. ports 6881-6999 for TCP forwarding to the IP of the wireless router 192.168.0.1 using Internal Port 6881.

Now, the router settings in the router.jpg is set up the same way except it's forwarding to the IP of my desktp PC (192.168.0.3). Can anyone spot anything unusual about this that may be causing my pitiful < 15k/sec torrent downloads ??

Cheers,
    TC

No matter what I do, I've never got my torrents to go green. Slighty off-topic but what firefox them are you using?

• Advertisement

dubmick wrote:
    No matter what I do, I've never got my torrents to go green. Slighty off-topic but what firefox them are you using?

http://www.geocities.com/edhume/index.html#SGnormal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭revolver2k

Spent all day messing around with port forwarding on the new eircom / netopia wireless router as i had the same problem with rubbish Azureus / Bit Torrent speeds.

I had everything in terms of pinholes, NAT configuration in proper order.

(BTW: Very Helpful page on port forwarding/configuration here:
    http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/PortForwarding )

Ran the Azureus configuration wizard countless times and always the same "...NAT error" message.

Basically all my problems were with the router's built-in firewall, NOT Windows firewall or Kerio or Zonealarm or whatever. If it's set to 'Medium' (Default) or above, it simply will not allow port access.

Just set it to low where "Some methods of network address identification are allowed, such as via a pinhole, IPMaps or a NAT default server" and everything should work fine.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement