Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your most favourite kitchen gadget

• 22-04-2005 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I think the term 'gadget' covers a lot of things, so it's basically those things in the kitchens you could probably do without, but they make life oh so much easier.

For me, it has to be my JML v-slicer. I bought it a couple of weeks ago and it's already proved itself so very useful, I may never use a knife to chop things again. Now if only I can figure out how to get it to cut my steak into bite sized pieces :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Whats that?

Mine is just an electric orange squeezer, takes the drudgery out of squeezing them with a spoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

My premium professional 12" wusthof chef's knife.

My tongs.

My angled pro fish slice, also wusthof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 foodietwoshoes

Mine has to be my Jamie Oliver granite pestle and mortar. Also my newly-acquired stone grinder. Love 'em!

George Foreman Grill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My set of Wüsthof knives, and the Rolls Royce of garlic presses made by Rösle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As far as useful utensils go, a proper sharpening stone to keep my knives sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm a Global knife fan meself.
    The Le Creuset pan does nice pan fried steak/chicken/tuna

I've always found Global to use their edge far faster. Grand if you're using at home, but if you're a chef it can be a pain in the head.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My favourites are our egg based technology.

We have and egg boiler, that boils eggs to perfection no matter whether you like soft or hard boiled, and a "klumpa dumpa" which is a Danish product for piercing a very small hole in the egg before it's boiled to stop it exploding. :) I just love its name!

We're a real gadget household so we've got everything from a steel for sharpening knives to a small blow torch for melting the sugar on creme brulee. :D

Oh I love my blow torch too... That klumpa dumpa sounds dinky.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

i can bring you back one from Denmark if you like next time I'm over there, they only cost about €2 :)

we also have a thermometre which sits on the outside of a wine bottle so you can get the best tempreture for the various wines, which are all marked on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No really a gadget, but a glass orange squeezer - saves time because it's so easy to wash.

i can bring you back one from Denmark if you like next time I'm over there, they only cost about €2 :)
    I don't think they're unique to Denmark ... I bought mine in Holland, I think, and I'm pretty sure I've seen them in the shops here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I've loads (I love cooking, me!)

My new non-stick Anolon saucepans - a wedding pressie
    My Spudnik potato masher from www.lakeland.co.uk which doesn't scrape the new posh pots
    3379.jpg20036.jpg

My bottle crusher (also from Lakeland) which cuts down on the amount of plastic bottles we bring to the recycling centre
    My George Foreman grill
    My fab new knives I bought in France
    My cocktail shaker for lovely drinkies
    And... my lovely mandolin for making fab gratin dauphinoise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

george forman definitely! dunno how i lived without it :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone know where you can get a potato pealer - you put the potato on the spike and then turn the handle and it peals it in a spiral manner ? (As you can guess I'm not a fan of electric gadgets that have to be cleaned)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I love my electric can opener. It's the business!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The pasta maker, easily. Not sure if a frying pan counts as a gadget, but I love my old fat-bottomed stainless steel pan, me, none of that oul' Teflon shîte.

Aargh- teflon must die. Oh, how I laughed when Jamie Oliver brought out his "professional" non-stick range.

Shabadu wrote:
    Aargh- teflon must die. Oh, how I laughed when Jamie Oliver brought out his "professional" non-stick range.
    Agreed, although I do have one small non-stick saucepan reserved for heating milk and making scrambled eggs in :)

My frying pan is one of those expensive grey anodised aluminium jobbies, and I've had it for absolutely ages. It can go in the oven, under the grill, anywhere unlike your average Tefal thingy.

One other "gadget" I like is my Wadjan. Think a large cast-iron wok ... it's Indonesian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Have a few bits I'm fond of - global cooks knife, large grantite mortar and pestle, bamboo chopping board, very well seasoned wok. Does my beer fridge count too? Oh - favourite though, is my eva solo coffee jug. Amazon do them...

This is it here - it rocks. It's the easiest way ever to make fresh coffee, and isn't even half as fiddly to clean as a cafetiere.

Advertisement