Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting waxed furniture

Options
  • 22-04-2005 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

i have a pine kitchen which is waxed - i am seriously considering painting it-can i paint over the wax-if i can't does every last drop of wax need to be removed?
    any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Im afraid the wax will have to come off,the varnish or paint you apply over it will either never dry or craze(crazing is like a serious of cracks in paint,where the paint pulls apart leaving the surface showing).

I have seen in DIY stores a tool to remove wax from furniture,you insert a blade into it and drag it from top to bottom,but this depends on type of furniture.It has limited capabilites

It all depends on what/amount of wax is on furniture.A good wash down of white spirits might get it off also and degrease it prior to painting.

Also while using white spirits get a bale of steel wool from DIY store and rub the furniture whilst wet with white spirits.Remember to use heavy gloves with steel wool.

Have a look here

Also have a look here

The above is ESP primer,just have a read about it.I would put this on after wax is removed if your painting kitchen presses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

thanks, i really appreciate that information-i am dreading the process of removing the wax but at least i can see possibilities there
    thanks again

Advertisement