Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgeball

Options
  • 22-04-2005 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭

Would a dodgeball society ever take off?

And how do you go about setting up a society?

Would a dodgeball society ever take off in UL? 6 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    66% 4 votes
    Maybe
    33% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

First I assume it's a club rather than a society you'd be interested in setting up. Clubs tend to get more money and money for equipment that most societies don't need so you'll want to run with a club anyway. There's a relatively convoluted (not bad, just convoluted) procedure in setting up a club or a soc involving geting recognised as a club/soc, 15 weeks trial period IIRC, no budget for a while and so on. You'll need a written constitution (can be simple or can be complicated, the few I wrote for socs back in the day tended to be long, precise but elastic (it was the occasional lawyer in me in action) but somethign relatively simple would do), you'll need a committee and obviously you'll need commitment to what you want to do (in this case, throw balls at each other) and to be able to show same - hence the trial period before even thinking about asking for any funding.

Handiest thing is to call into the clubs and socs office on the first floor of the SU building and have a chat with Paul Lee (the clubs and socs officer). Good helpful chap, he'll lay it out nicely for you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Good way of starting it off would be to hold a movie showing in the SU and leave the sign up book after the movie;)

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nukem wrote:
    Good way of starting it off would be to hold a movie showing in the SU and leave the sign up book after the movie
    That is actually an excellent idea. But the funding wouldnt be anything crazy. All youd need is somewhere to play (a field or relatively small indoor place) and lots of balls. Youd need a few of these i reckon

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I would be interested in a club where i did nothing but watch Dodgeball all the time. Ben stiller is a legend!

Wait, sport??!!!?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

i saw it a few weeks ago with about 5 other lads and if you had asked us there and then we would be fully committed,but now,now i dunno....,great movie even for a movie snob like myself(if it aint subtitled or obscure i aint interested...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

isnt the trial period only 8 weeks?

Its not hard to set up a Club like that, go to Paul Lee, get it announced at the Clubs and Socs Council and your away. The HARd part about new Clubs or Societies is that for the first year in existance you dont get a budget until you are recognised, and you'd be amazed sometimes how difficult it is to raise money or get sponsorship. Alot of C&S die out because of this. But if you have a core of people willing to take it on and work at it, you should have no problems.
    One thing though is that if you went in as a Club, I belive they expect you to be able to compete, i.e All Irelands, Intervarsities etc. So maybe a Dodgeball Society might be a better idea as it is easer to sort out.

On another note, you could join with GSoc, The Games Society and try to get us to do it for you. I'm the Paintball Officer in GSoc and I would be up for adding on an extra aspect.

here's the GSoc website if you want to check it out. www.gsoc.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

That is actually an excellent idea. But the funding wouldnt be anything crazy. All youd need is somewhere to play (a field or relatively small indoor place) and lots of balls. Youd need a few of these i reckon

you wouldnt be able to do that im afraid, you need to rent a DVD with a license to show films publically like that, and that costs around €150. I know this because i was also President of MoPic and it killed us

Advertisement